Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-07, 11:54 AM   #1
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Boat Handling

I recently moved up to a fiberglass bassboat. I have been using a 16'0 Tracker Deep V for the past few years. Now I have bought a 18'5 Dynatrac w/ a 175 Evenrude on it. I trying to learn how to handle it better w/ rough water and w/ turns. I dont mind a beating in rough water but I know it cant be good on my boat and I dont want my fishing partner (my dad) to get roughed up(this already happened once when I hit a bad wake). Any tips and advice would be appreciated. I want to try to take better care when on the water. By no means am I a crazy when driving my boat I just want to know how to take wakes better when on plane and how to take turns better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Bandit
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 05:03 PM   #2
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't know if bass boats have trim tabs, but bury those guys deep!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 06:19 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

back off the throttle. seat time is the only thing that helps the handlin.. every boat -even made by the same company-handles differantly.. it is basicly the trim+speed+wind=wet a$$. going across the wind aint to much fun..

18.5 dynatrac is a very good riding boat.. but even the best riddin boats will get you wet when you are fighting rough water..belive me i know...
taking a beating from the boat is normal when it is rough water..my light stratos bounces and catches air fairly easily-unless i add lizzy tackle bag-but i have fought thru 5 foot seas in the lil stratos-crazy- i did get a bit wet but it was really nothing..

as for boat wakes if you can straight across them is best.if not ride the wake-think surfing with a boat-it aint the first roll that is big it's the second. advoid the ditches.. it is harder to explain then actually do..i have "surfed" a wake for about a mile before at wot..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 02-27-07 at 06:24 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 08:09 PM   #4
HOG Ranger

All bassboats will take a pounding and actually sound much worse than what they really are. As Zooker posted, you always want to take a wave straight on if at all possible. If you are about to pass a boat it usually works out best to take a 45 degree angle right after they go by and before the 1st wake gets to your boat. Once you go over the first couple simply straighten your boat out and you are good to go again.

Never get off the throttle heading into a large wave as this makes it much worse. If anything get on the throttle a little to raise the bow.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 10:07 AM   #5
BassinBandit

Thanks guys. I got a lot I need to work on but the info truly does help and I appreciate it.
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.