Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-08, 12:43 AM   #1
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Transom Replacement?

I am thinking the Transom in my Skeeter is gonna need a overhaul SOON, i noticed some flex in it. The boat had some leakage problems in the past and the past owner figured it was easier to turn on the bilge on each outing rather than finding the leaks and fixing them. The question i have is how far from side to side does the transom need to be replaced on the cut out bass boats, just under the motor cut out & splash guard or does it go the full width of the boat? Tapping on the transom it seems SUPER SOLID (a nice solid sound) outside of the cutout but under the cut out it sounds alot different and softer.

I am gonna use that SeaCast pour in fiberglass rather than more wood that can ROT!!! If its just under the cutout and spash gaurd (correct me if i am WRONG) but i believe i need to take the motor off, take the aluminum transom cap off, cut the fiberglass off the top of the Transom to expose the wood, drill, chip & remove rotten wood then Pour in Seacast, Refiberglass the Transom top, Replace aluminum cap and remount motor correct? While i am at it i think i will alumimum plate the inside of the transom and put a Heaver longer aluminum transom cap on the boat b4 rehanging the motor. Any thoughts, hints, tips etc, are welcome And needed.....LOL

Thanx in advance
KW
BassMaster_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 05:36 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

AH GRASSHOPPER you have done your homework well. Now you can go out in the world and fix that transom. ( a bad attempt at a little humor) Anywayas you nailed it bassmaster and am damn proud of you doing your legwork. Seacast is a wonderful system..........a pain in the arse but still a wonderful system. Beleive it or not I have heard tales of folks using a chain saw to hog out the wood. If your careful and not using a Stihl 062 I guess thats ok. Personally one of the small electric saws will do the major hogging out of wood. Then down to the homemade LONG chisels etc etc to finsish it out. Lots of folks aint never heard about seacast but could save thousands if they did like you did and found the system and fixed there own boat. Can you take pics and show the progres as you do it???? I would put a videl up of the procedure but anytime I replace a transom Seacast wouldnt help as I do complete resto's most of the time which means stringers and knee braces as well.
Old 10-29-08, 04:12 PM   #3
sclakes
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont think the seacast will stick to wood so unless you get 100% of it out they your asking for more problems.

I've never replaced one without pulling the top deck off & actually removing all the wood including the stringers.

May want to check with seacast & just verify..
Old 10-29-08, 04:42 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

for just a transome job sea cast is the best way to go.. if the floor is soft yeah i would go with stringer replacment and top cap removal..

laser is right about the transome replacement though..

zooker
Old 10-29-08, 04:42 PM   #5
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Would like to see pics as you do this please.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 06:16 AM   #6
conan1
BassFishin.Com Member

Get a BassCat. Lifetime warranty on the transom, flooring, hull, and stringers!
Ed
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 12:29 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan1 View Post
Get a BassCat. Lifetime warranty on the transom, flooring, hull, and stringers!
Ed
ed
there was wood transomes in nearly every boat till the mid 90's i think the last wood transome boats were nitro's and that was around 2000.. i have a 2002 stratos no wood in the boat.-it don't even have stringers- only way i would own a cat is if they stopped foolin with barges and put out a short boat..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.