Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-08, 10:44 PM   #1
kissmybass55
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Just got a boat..

i'm new and this is my first thread. a man gave me a 16 ft. Fisher bass boat with a mercury 40 Hp. I'd like to know if any one knows where i can find some information on the impeler system and anything else that would need fixing.

And about the boat, he bought it about 11 years ago and put about 70 hours on it. Then one day he said it stoped spitting water. After that he just parked it and let it sit. It's all aluminum and the motors been covered up so no real damage at all. i'd really apreciate any info on this type of boat at all, or maybe where i can put in a serial number on it.

thanks much.
kissmybass55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 12:01 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome!
Here is how to do it on a bigger Merc: http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttips.htm
And another one: http://www.brokeboats.com/newpump.html
And here you can buy a manual if needed: https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/...rm.jsp?type=ob
I've never done it, but mine was done this year. Took it in figuring it would be warranty and it was not. From what I hear it is not too hard to do once you drop the lower unit. I'll be doing my own next time.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 01:23 AM   #3
Earl Marshall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Welcome to the board KissMyBass55 It is the water pump sounds like to me it isn't real hard to change once you get the lower unit down just watch the way you take it off. They are a gear that sticks up in the lower unit that has to be in the right position before that it will go in forward and reverse.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 11:17 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check the water outlet hose mud wasp love to plug them up.. a water pump is fairly easy to replace. remember to add lower unit fluid after you replace the impellor.

in the future please add the year of the boat and moter when asking a question about them.. this is like a car. every model and year are differant..

dis it

http://www.fisherboats.com/boat/?boat=2731

i am not the merc guy here laser is the merc guru...

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 01:46 PM   #5
Bob Smith

When changing the waterpump on the older small engines be mindful of the shifter location and be careful not to move it when re-installing the lower unit.
Another thing you may want to do it take the carburetor apart and try to remove any "varnish" that may have developed since the motor set up for so long. On those same lines the fuel pump may need to be rebuilt (very easy to do with a kit, the pump is really nothing more than a rubber diaphragm), new plugs and some lubricant on the cylinders (remove plugs and spray each cylinder liberally then rotate the motor by hand or with a socket/ratchet on top of the fly wheel while the plugs are out).

Then put the new plugs in and try it out.
Old 11-30-08, 04:06 PM   #6
zooker

remember also to check the fuel lines if they are stiff and hard replace them...or they WILL let you down with out warning...

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 06:25 PM   #7
kissmybass55
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys. i'm having my cousin come and take a look at it over the week. I've seen him work miracles on boat engines. and it's a 1991 it's in great shape, i've spent all day cleaning it up and it looks great
Old 11-30-08, 07:08 PM   #8
bamabassman

welcome to the house of nuts and becoming fodder for the bait monkey my friend. i ain't no expert on boats or motors. just want to welcome ya to the site. you have already heard from some of the BEST folks about yer rig. these guys will set you on the CORRECT track buddy. post a pic of yer rig when you get a chance. we all love to see boats and fish pics.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 11:21 PM   #9
kissmybass55
BassFishin.Com Member

okay i got some pictures of it today. put some elbow grease on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7704.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	2905   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7708.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	2906   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7707.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2907   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7706.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7736.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2909  

Old 11-30-08, 11:34 PM   #10
Earl Marshall

That is a nice little boat looks like it has got real good potential.
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 09:44 AM   #11
Bob Smith

That's a great little rig, especially a free one! Be sure and check the hull for cracks and the transom for wood rot. All of this is replaceable, so even if you have a few issues you still got a great deal!
Old 12-01-08, 10:17 AM   #12
Basscrazie

That is set up just like my old roughneck.You got a fishing machine there and should get many years of enjoying the lakes.Congrulations!!!
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 11:42 AM   #13
woody

Exclamation "It stopped spitting water"

KMB, Alot of times you will find debris clogging you cooling outlet hose(dirt, twigs, spider nests) a good way to check this is by completely removing the hose from the motor, then start the motor and see if you have circulation. Just make sure you have a good water supply for cooling the motor. You should see water spraying out of your engine. If you don't have any water circulation, imediately shut off the engine, you've got a bad water pump. This is a fairly inexpensive fix, don't worry. If you notice a good stream of water flowing from your motor then that means your cooling outlet hose is clogged, you usually can unclog it with a stiff wire or sewing needle, once you get the clog broke up you can usually blow it out.
This is also something to keep in mind after start up " Look for that stream of water shooting out from your outboard"

KMB, it looks like you've got yourself a great little starter boat there, let us know how she fishes, and welcome to the site.Woody
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:21 PM   #14
JLSCH1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Had the same boat

Water pump easy to change. I would do it for you but backed up.

I was a mechanic trainee at a dealer while going to college and sold alot of those fisher's. Boat was made by Brunswick Marine at their Mississippi plant. It was the 1st boat I bought and I had the 1992 4-cyclinder 40hp averaged 38 to 40mph.

Easy to run electrical due to you can take off the side panels due aluminum and makes it easier to run the wiring to trollmotor or to consol to bildge pump, livewell between the seats, etc. Even looks like the orginial seats.

You should have fun light boat and perfect for the Bayous in Louisiana.
JLSCH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 09:54 PM   #15
kissmybass55
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd like to thank everyone again for their info. my cousin was supposed to come by today to take a look at it. The only problem is, he loves his jeep and he takes it to shows and big events and i guess "jeep fests", he rolled it sunday afternoon while he was in Arkansas and broke an axle so hes got his hands full. From what everone's told me i think i could handle it on my own, but i'd rather not mess something up and then have a real problem on my hands. If all it is is the water pump than i'll be fishing in it in less than a month. I've got a week till i turn 18 (yeah i'm a youngin) and then i can put the title and insurance in my name.

oh yeah, theres no wood in the boat. All Aluminum, so far i've seen no rot, or cracks in anything. i'm going to check end if needed replace the lines tommorrow.
Old 12-01-08, 11:15 PM   #16
Basscrazie

Probably one of the best starter boats you can get..It can take some punishment.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 11:34 AM   #17
hookup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
That's a great little rig, especially a free one! l!
Yeah!! Good starter boat
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:27 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Wow...thats gonna make ya a sweet little fishin rig....thats about exactly what i've been keepin an eye out for....and the price is the best part....I know your gonna enjoy it.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:08 PM   #19
bamabassman

very nice rig there pal. very nice.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.