Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-07, 02:21 PM   #1
Zach_BassFisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default LM in decent sized pond

A couple of my buddies and myself have been fishing these two ponds that sit right next to eachother. But im just curious if there are possible chances that there are big bass in these ponds....because there are no perch or anything for these bass to eat. the only thing that i know that are in these ponds are seaweed, moss, and some little beeds that form and cover the surface of the water....which it only happens on one side of the pond. These ponds are just filled with bass though...every time we go there, which is like very weekend we catch anywhere from 100-150 bass. but they are all small...they range anywhere from 1-1.5 lbs. But when we went last week, we took my little flat bottom boat that way we could get to the middle and on my first cast i caught me a 3.7 lbs bass. There is also no cover what so ever in these ponds except for the moss and seaweed. We have been successfull on spinnerbait and topwater like torpedos and hula poppers. These ponds average 3-4 ft. deep. So Here are some questions for those of u guys that know alot out there......
  • Are there bigger bass in these ponds?
  • Where are the located? (ex: middle, closer to the bank, etc.)
  • What would be the best lure to use here, to catch bigger bass?
  • Also, do u think there are any other species of fish in these ponds?
These ponds belong to the city, they use to be old sewer ponds back in like the 80's but havent use them since, so they are pretty clean. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-03-07, 05:08 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Well by the sounds of it, thats ALOT of bass in a small space, competing for food. You probably should keep a few legal size bass every weekend or so, so the other fish will have a chance to grow bigger.

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 10:32 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with texasbasser. Case in point. I started bass fishing because I had the chance to fish a small lake that was loaded with bass. You could catch them all day. The only problem was the small size. I did see a mount of one that came out of there over 5lbs. As the years went on new owners took it over. They did not want it culled. So now all you catch is small bass. There are probably some pretty big bass left in that lake but I think with the compitition for food the little bass out eat the bigger fish. Maybe or maybe not. The biggest bass I saw come out was 21 inches long. I don't know the weight. My guess was 4 lbs or so. So to answer your question, IMO is yes there might be some bigger bass in your pond.
Old 11-04-07, 10:44 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I also agree. Overcrowding is usaully why fish don't get too big.
Old 11-04-07, 11:37 PM   #5
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

There is a solution to the problem. (But, it's a pain in the a$$)

Ask the owner if it's ok to add saugeye and small sunfish such as bluegill, redear ect. If he/she allows it, go to a local steam to catch the sunfish (about 30 will do) and add them to the ponds. Sunfish, particularly bluegill, will predate the nests of bass thus reducing the population of reproducing bass. I say a stream because with the running water there is less of a chance for harmful bacteria and pathogens to get introduced into the ponds.

The saugeye are more of a challenge though. In some states it's illegal to transport live gamefish. Check your local laws and see if it's legal, if so, go to your lacal lake and fish steep drop-offs and old creek channels with a crankbait or swimbait to catch these.

From the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation;

"HabitatSaugeye tend to congregate near the bottom on sand bars or near ledges and drop-offs.

Natural Food Sources Saugeye eat fish, almost exclusively, from the time they are stocked.

SpawningSaugeye are produced within our state fish hatcheries. Female walleye are crossed with male sauger resulting in a hybrid known as saugeye. Although not sterile, saugeye must be stocked routinely in order to maintain fishable populations.

FactsSaugeye are being stocked particularly in lakes with stunted crappie because once they reach 16 inches, they begin to feed on these fish, thus improving the crappie fishery."

This will also work for bass as well.

If saugeye are not legal to transport, ask the owner if it is possible for him/her to stock the pond with these fish.

It worked for many farmers around my state anyway,
-Eric

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.