Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-08, 05:16 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Line difference - mono vs. fluoro

What is the difference between fluorocarbon and monofilament line? Is one better for certain situations or is it just a personal preference?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 06:55 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

They're both made by the same process, but with different polymers.
Mono= Lower price, more stretch, good knot strength, abrasion resistant, floats and comes in a lot of different colors but is not translucent under water, etc. goes "bad" from UV exposure, age, twist and kinks, absorbs water.
Fluoro= Higher price, very minimal stretch (if any), good knot strength if the proper knot is used, stronger than mono at the same diameter, very abrasion resistant, sinks and is translucent under water (some manufacturers make colored fluoro for guys who want the benies other than translucency), not affected by UV, water or age, bad for breaking off from twisting and kinking.

I use fluorocarbon for leader line or if I'm fishing clear or pressured water. Sometimes, I'll spool it on if I know I'm going to be fishing a lot of rocks, although it might not be the right line for topwater or main line float-n-fly because it sinks. Other than that, I use mono or braid.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 07:01 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignjig View Post
They're both made by the same process, but with different polymers.
Mono= Lower price, more stretch, good knot strength, abrasion resistant, floats and comes in a lot of different colors but is not translucent under water, etc. goes "bad" from UV exposure, age, twist and kinks, absorbs water.
Fluoro= Higher price, very minimal stretch (if any), good knot strength if the proper knot is used, stronger than mono at the same diameter, very abrasion resistant, sinks and is translucent under water (some manufacturers make colored fluoro for guys who want the benies other than translucency), not affected by UV, water or age, bad for breaking off from twisting and kinking.

I use fluorocarbon for leader line or if I'm fishing clear or pressured water. Sometimes, I'll spool it on if I know I'm going to be fishing a lot of rocks, although it might not be the right line for topwater or main line float-n-fly because it sinks. Other than that, I use mono or braid.
pig is spot on. flourocarbon also seems to fray (sp?) a lot easier but i still like it more than mono for a lot of purposes especially jigs and t-rigged soft plastics.
Old 06-24-08, 07:03 PM   #4
pignjig

C-rig, you've probably already posted this, but what brand do you prefer?
Old 06-24-08, 09:24 PM   #5
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Pig, I thought fluoro was less abrasion resistant than mono?
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:58 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
C-rig, you've probably already posted this, but what brand do you prefer?
i love seaguar invizx

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 06-24-08 at 10:18 PM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 10:33 PM   #7
pignjig

I'll give the Seaguar line a try this summer...just another reason to product test/comparison shop.

Buzz- Fluoro is an odd animal. It is MORE abrasion "resistant" than mono, but once it does become knicked or abraided it tends to be weaker than mono at that point. It's actually a very strong, tough line that many of the pros are using almost exclusively for everything but topwater. Like several of the guys on the board, I'm waiting for a fluoro to hit the market that can withstand the stresses that mono or braid can. And, if they could make it float a little, it might be the perfect line. Well, a truly translucent braid with some stretch might be even better...

But, those are just my thoughts.
Old 06-24-08, 10:44 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I'll give the Seaguar line a try this summer...just another reason to product test/comparison shop.

Buzz- Fluoro is an odd animal. It is MORE abrasion "resistant" than mono, but once it does become knicked or abraided it tends to be weaker than mono at that point. It's actually a very strong, tough line that many of the pros are using almost exclusively for everything but topwater. Like several of the guys on the board, I'm waiting for a fluoro to hit the market that can withstand the stresses that mono or braid can. And, if they could make it float a little, it might be the perfect line. Well, a truly translucent braid with some stretch might be even better...

But, those are just my thoughts.
pig ole buddy ole pal,
while i may not have too many tricks up my sleeve i do have one that may help you out. if you take some sort of wax fly tying wax works well but i imagine something like chap stick would do the trick. coat a couple feet of your flourocarbon line (right above your topwater bait) the line will float and not hinder the action of your topwater bait.
Old 06-24-08, 10:48 PM   #9
pignjig

Man, excellent!! Yet again, a solution was right there the whole time! Maybe I'll send my pet duck out for some chap stick....the drug store might let him put it on his bill!!! Thanks for the tip, C-rig!
Old 06-25-08, 02:05 AM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i love seaguar invizx
This is my line too. It was the first fc line I ever tried and I have never ever seen a need to change.

The only thing I will differ on is that fc line does stretch, and in some cases more than a comparable mono.

This however does not mean it is a bad thing.

Also, while both lines have stretch, mono is more resilient. When mono gets stretched, it will usually contract back to the same size it was before the stretch. However with fc line, it will tend to not rebound back and stay stretched. However, with a properly set drag and the use of a rod rated for the line, this stretch in the line should not even be an issue. I use Seaguar Invizx in 6# line for my drop shot rig and I have never ever lost a fish from dink to 5.5# Invizx rocks!!!
Old 06-25-08, 09:24 AM   #11
pignjig

Islandbass- I got to thank you for mentioning fluoro's stretch. Honestly, at first I really disagreed about that. But, I did a little research and found out that you are 100% right! There are some brands that actually have more stretch than mono (wet/dry tests). I had always heard and read that fluoro has very little stretch-- seems that's not the whole story after all. Good call, Island!
Old 06-25-08, 04:08 PM   #12
Raul

Whatīs the difference between fluorocarbon and NYLON ? there are lots of differences, being the most important ones:

Fluorocarbon is impervious to the elements and UV rays which damage and degrade nylon ( flourocarbon in that aspect is superior to nylon, in theory it should last longer )

Fluorcarbon doesnīt absorbs water like nylon does ( water absortion affects how the line behaves, after a good soak nylon stretches more )

Fluorcarbon is more abrassion resistant than nylon of the same diameter

Flouorcarbon stretches as much as nylon but with one difference, once fluorcarbon stretches itīs stretched for good while nylon returns to itīs original length. ( nicks when professional overruns happen in baitcasters damage severely fluorocarbon line, the same applies when tying a knot )

Fluorocarbon is denser than nylon ( which means it transmits vibration better than nylon making it better for techniques where feel is important like in worming or jigging )

Fluorocarbon has a refraction degree similar to the water which makes it less visible than nylon ( nope itīs not "invisible", itīs a lot less visible ) so in places and conditions where you are faced with extremely high water visibility fish are less able to detect it.

Fluorocabon is not manufactured in the many forms nylon is manufactured, so you can only choose one while in nylon you can choose between several degrees of limpness or several degrees of abrassion resistance.

Which one is best overall ? none, the perfect fishing line hasnīt been developed yet. Fluoro is great for certain applications, nylon is for others, the same applies to copoly and braided.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 04:55 PM   #13
islandbass

Quote:
Islandbass- I got to thank you for mentioning fluoro's stretch. Honestly, at first I really disagreed about that. But, I did a little research and found out that you are 100% right! There are some brands that actually have more stretch than mono (wet/dry tests). I had always heard and read that fluoro has very little stretch-- seems that's not the whole story after all. Good call, Island!

You and me both!! I was surprised when I found out.

Research done by a guy who goes by the screen name of fishing elbow is where I first learned about it and tackle tour's findings backed it up. Then In Fisherman does an article on it and refers to Takle Tour's work.

You are going to love Invizx. seaguar invizx might seem and feel "stretchy" but don't let that bother. This line will deliver for you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.