Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-07, 08:56 PM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Weird things bass do...

I've seen posts about two bass on one lure, posts about bass feeding in a livewell, and bass hitting flowers used as bait. Well going through some pictures I found a good one of something a bass did. Fishing from a canoe (I know its a chore but it is what I have and works fine on ponds) my friend hung a zoom fluke over a branch dangling a few inches above the water. After we stopped laughing and got ready to go retrieve his line, my son hooked a fish and the retrieve was delayed, my son landed a nice 14 inch yellow perch. As we turned the canoe back to go get the hung up fluke a bass broke water and hooked himself on the fluke!! See the picture for proof. To cap this story off as we unhooked the bass the rod I had left trolling for carp and bullhead bent almost double and I ended up landing a nice bullhead, if you can call any bullhead nice!!! Three species of fish in 5 minutes with three knuckleheads in one canoe!!! But the weird thing is the bass leaving the water to hit the fluke, what are some of the weird things you have seen fish do???? By the time I took the picture my friend had turned his reel a couple of cranks - the fish was probably only halfway out of the water when it hit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hang fish.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1619  
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 09:00 PM   #2
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i had the same thing happen to me, twice in the same afternoon. first time by chance, i hit a tree limb and the lure bobbed in the water, up and down, well, kazaam. a big bass hit it. second time, i intentionally hit the limb and bobbed the lure up and down, kazaam again. a nice bass hit the lure. so anytime i am hung up on a limb, i work the lure for a bit. never know what will happen.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 09:00 PM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Lol, Sometimes I intentionally throw my worm over a lone branch, it can really trigger bites just sitting there barely twitching...

Once I layed my rod in the back of my paddleboat, not knowing some line was out and my worm was in about 3 inches.. I heard a spash and see my rod start going over, I grabbed it in time to set the hook and have a 2 pound bass lol..
Also fishing on bank and suddenly a bass, chasing perch, jumps onto the bank as well as a few bluegill and I walk over and "catch" it.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 09:25 PM   #4
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

that is amazing.....i've heard of this happening before...but have never seen it....thanks for sharing with us....
Old 04-18-07, 08:26 AM   #5
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
Lol, Sometimes I intentionally throw my worm over a lone branch, it can really trigger bites just sitting there barely twitching...
When there is a branch hanging over some cover or shade i intentionally do that all the time. I just kind of jig the soft plastic in and out of the water. I've caught some nice bass by doing this.
bobsmitter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:45 AM   #6
patchino22

I have had a similar thing happen. I was talking to my buddy before casting out my line and I had my pole in hand dangling over the water at the bank. A 2 pounder jumped out of the water, bit my lure, and got hooked......I hadnt even casted yet and was in the middle of a conversation! Needless to say, I didnt catch anything else the rest of the day.

I also had a lure get hung up on a limb (dangling over the water) and had two alligators get hooked on it. Two gators on one lure......I never thought I would have that happen. They were just babies though. They were also the only thing I caught that day.
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 12:07 AM   #7
3dkicker

I've seen bass jump 2' out of the water to catch dragonfly's so one jumping up to catch a bait hanging off a branch isn't that surpising. I've had them jump over stumps to get to a bait and recently jump out of the water to catch my crankbait.
Old 04-19-07, 12:51 AM   #8
flamez

i wrapped my spinnerbait over some bullrush and had a bass jump straight up for it but it didnt get it

this other time at a private lake i know of i was on some guys boat dock and this lil bass kept grabbing at my fluke it would come all the way in to get it sit at the bottom of the dock and then watch me pitch it and chase for it straight in whatever direction i threw it
Old 04-19-07, 12:56 AM   #9
scrap

Default unusual fishing incident

one more, and i know no one will believe me. i was on the water in a stream and i cast over a rock to the water on the other side of the
rock about three feet. i had a lizard on and was dragging it back to me
and a smallie started to chase it. well i was at the rock in the stream with
the lizard and jerked the lizard over the rock. i thought the fish would go away. well, the lizard landed on the other side of the rock and i was still
reeling in. u got to believe that the smallie went around the rock and chased the lizard until he caught it. it was the darnest thing i have seen.
it was so funny, i wouldnt have believed it, but it happened that way.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 02:01 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

My dad and I were fishing in a small oxbow lake off the Mississippi River about 2 summers ago. There were a bunch of cypress along the edge, with oak up on the banks. Right at the waterline on one of the cypress, we saw a little chipmunk. He was holding on to the trunk with three paws, and was stretching out as far as he could with the other for an acorn floating on the water just out of his reach. Just as my dad saw the little guy, a HUGE bass broke water, hit the poor thing like a truck, and took him under. The bass had to be +12 lbs.

My dad and I looked at each other kinda like "Did you see that?" Then when we looked back, that big ol' bass came back and put another acorn beside that tree...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 02:44 PM   #11
woundedyak
BassFishin.Com Member

Good one MissiissippiBoy! I was fishing a small resivior once and a swallow got caught up in my line. Once it spun around in the air a few times it hit the water still caught up in my line.It sat on top of the water and flopped around like a "fish out of water." POW!!! Big ol' lunker came up and hit it and took it down. About 10 seconds later the swallow floated back up to the top and was pretty busted up.POW!!!! He hit the swallow and it was never seen again.So naturly,I switch to a jiggerbug.Second cast,POW!!!!!! followed by a SNAP!!!! Which was followed by a tear.
woundedyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:32 PM   #12
ToPwAt'R GuY

I was fishing one day for panfish and hooked a small bluegill. While I was reeling him in the line started to get really heavy. When I got him to the boat I noticed that there was a 4 pound largemouth at the end. While I was bringing in the bluegill the bass sucked him right in and didn't let go.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 04:20 PM   #13
flbassman

Ive got a little 3-4 acre pond behind my house with about 6 million bream and three bass (we stocked 'em), and I always like feeding the bream in shallow water, and watching the biggest bass (about 5.5 #s) come halfway out of the water and stick one or two of em. One day, he hit the shallow water a little fast, and wound up about a foot out of the pond, flopping in the mud. Took him about 5 seconds to get back in the water......One of these days i'll get some video....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.