Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-08, 03:58 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Trolling Motor Killed?

So I'm preparing for the spring fishing up here in the Northeast and after being buried in 103" of snow I think I deserve it!! Anyways been preparing the boat and recently discovered the damn trolling motor is crapping out on me...This is what's going on:

Minn Kota 24V 76lb thrust
hit the power and the indicator light comes on no problem every time..however the motor won't turn the prop..If I bang on the pedal a few times it kicks on and runs fine for a while until you stop...try to start it again and the same problem...ocassionally it will work fine, but usually I got to beat the pedal to death to get it turn...

My thoughts: The control box or jumper that controls the power from the foot to motor is cooked...anyone ever experienced this..don't want to dish out more $$ for a trolling motor but will if I have too...and besides I'd much rather have a MOTORGUIDE..I think someone once said it best...B.O.A.T--break out another thousand
Old 03-19-08, 04:34 PM   #2
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In my opinion a new TM would be a good investment nothing ruins a fishing trip like boat problems like a TM malfuntion yes boats are also a hole in the water you throw money into. but they can be fun
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 06:42 PM   #3
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the upside to buying a new tm..................... the specials just came out from bps. hope you got the sale brochure. maybe your tm can be fixed, but either way I would make sure it is good to go for your first trip.....it messes up on the water and the day is shot for sure and your hopes for a great first day back on the water.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 07:54 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sorry bout that man, hope it works out for you. but you know...... it just may be that you have been unknowlying been hit by the bait monkey. he does get mad this time of year ifn you don't get everything he thinks you ought to. something to think about, hmmmm? look around, he is probably hiding in that old tm of yours. good luck for real.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 10:47 PM   #5
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Check the wiring and the contacts. They may be gunked up or loose.
Old 03-20-08, 06:02 AM   #6
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What it sounds like to me without actually laying my eyes or hands on it is the foot peddle switch is corroded up. A simple cleaning will get you going but a new switch is better. Once they are compromised they will fail again and at the worst time.
Old 03-22-08, 02:39 AM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with Laser-sounds like the switch is going bad. Had it happen to my MG. A $10 switch is all it needed. I also carry a spare for just such an occurrance. Sure is cheaper than a new TM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.