Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-06, 10:08 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Trailers getting caught underwater

Well, a very unpleasant thing happened to my trailer Saturday. My dad backed me and the boat into the water and I floated off. He then started to proceed back to the lot to park. He was hooked on something and when he finally got the trailer pulled out, it was bent like a pretzel. First off the trailer has a poor design, without any bracing to keep this from happening. However the more important thing was that if I had realized what was going on, I could have easily have walked to the trailer and lifted it up over whatever it was caught on. Instead I assumed he would just hop over whatever it was, that he was caught on. If you feel caught on something you could be, and if you don't pay careful attention to this, you might be at the lake, without a trailer Luckily I did have enough straps to hold it together for the drive home, and have spent the last 2 1/2 evening repairing it(now I have to reassemble it) It's a lot easier to deal with a little water, and getting wet, then it is to deal with a broken trailer. I hope this doesn't happen to any of you.

Lizards
Old 01-10-06, 10:10 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i get the feeling something is saying to you"get out of florida...NOW"...
lol..jk,i'm jealous..i have to wait till i retire to move there.
Old 01-10-06, 10:38 PM   #3
zooker

lizzy you need to hook up with a local some one who fishes. the southern style is differant than what your are used to.. besides a 5 mintue talk to a "local" would have saved your trailer from breaking...

zooker
Old 01-10-06, 11:01 PM   #4
bass kicker

my dads friends trailer fell apart in the water he forgot to check to see how tight the bolts on his trailer were
Old 01-12-06, 07:13 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Lizzy
The very same thing happened to my cousin. Good thing he was only 15 minutes from me. But like you he didnt get out and look. What took him 5 seconds to tear up took me approx.12 hrs. to repair and cost him $275. Very good words to remember. WHEN IN DOUBT................LOOK.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 01:36 AM   #6
bass kicker

that is a pricey accident
Old 04-25-06, 05:12 PM   #7
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

I had a similiar incident just a couple of weeks ago. I had been using the same boat ramp for at least 10 years and never knew it had a drop off. I was
by myself and launching the boat with the boat hooked to the trailer with a 20' rope. I backed down the ramp and floated the boat off the trailer, but before I could move the boat over to the dock, the wind kept blowing the boat back on to the trailer. I backed in more and felt the trailer go down. I moved the boat and tied it to the dock. When I tried to pull the trailer out,
it wouldn't budge. I backed up a little and tried to snatch it out. Wrong!
I emptied my pockets and off in the water I went. I walked to the back of the
trailer and fell off a ledge just behind the tires. Now the water is up to my
neck and a little cold! The first thing I did was to look around to see if any one was watching me. The next thing I did was to attempt to move the trailer
by hand. I reached down in the water and grabbed a carpeted 2x6 and pulled
up. Wrong! The board came loose from the trailer, and I fell backwards and went under. I managed to get the board before it floated away, got out of the water, and went to my truck. I was able to get the trailer out by jack-knifing it and pulling it out at an angle. I tied the board to the trailer with rope. After all of this, I still went fishing. Can you believe that! Talk about making a memory.
Dannie Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 08:52 PM   #8
bass kicker

i hate it when thing screw up on the water one time i forgot to put the plug in the but and we traveled 5 miles up river from the boat launch that was scarey you could see water rising throught the flour boards

thanks this thread reminded me to check all the bolts on our trailer before taking it out
Old 04-30-06, 12:17 AM   #9
flfireman

Probably was a very large GATOR sitting there minding his own biz, when you backed over him. Yeah, next time walk in the water and just move him!! Just another scenario for you to contemplate.
Old 04-30-06, 02:11 PM   #10
WTL

I've backed the trailer off the edge of a ramp before too, and yes it was in Florida. Went for a swim, had to dive down and lift up on the trailer as my Dad slowly pushed the gas and pulled the trailer up and over the edge. It was easier cause we have a smaller trailer, I couldn't imagine doing it with a full sized trailer and since they are longer tongue to axle I would think it'd be easier to get one of those stuck in the first place. You have to watch things, especially when lakes are down due to drought or winter drawdowns.
Old 04-30-06, 06:36 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9

WTL we have that same problem. We gotta watch the ramps right now since our waters are way down and we have a big boat (24' Center Console (offshore)) So that doesn't happen.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.