Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-06, 01:30 PM   #1
JamesJR
BassFishin.Com Member

Default skeeter carpet

I've got a skeeter starfire that needs new carpet, Its 19ft, what is a good price to pay for this service, I was priced at about $850,
JamesJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 04:19 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

carpet is real easy to install on boats, just trace the outlines on some paper or cardboard, and cut your pattern out. You can use marine carpet or just plain ol indoor outdoor carpet, with a good outdoor adhesive, probably for 100 bucks...I've helped on several buddies and its no big deal..I'd do it myself If I were you.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 04:24 PM   #3
JamesJR
BassFishin.Com Member

some areas look as though it is tucked, other areas have a rubber molding that holds the carpet in place, do i need to replace the rubber also or is that easy to reuse.
Old 04-10-06, 04:30 PM   #4
JB

i'd reuse all the mounting rubber and trim, its just going to take some time is all....
Old 04-10-06, 04:37 PM   #5
JamesJR
BassFishin.Com Member

I appreciate the good advice, hopefully I save some money, is there a website for replacing boat carpet?
Old 04-10-06, 05:38 PM   #6
JB

heres a link, i'd still go to lowes tho lol
http://www.dealtime.com/xDN-Boating_...-6~OR-0~V-rows
Old 04-11-06, 07:37 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Carpet replacement is more time consuming than anything and 850 for the service is just to damn high. Like JB stated its easy. Reuse all the hardware you have and trace out the pieces and go for it. Self satisfaction on a job well done is just one of the benefits, resale value on your boat will be higher now. Many places to get marine carpet. Dont buy from basspro or cabelas they are over priced. A 18ft boat outta cost less than a bill. One place you can find a good deal on is www.surplusunlimited.com. Good people to deal with.
Old 04-20-06, 02:35 PM   #8
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

JamesJR I agree with the guys, I recently bought a 2002 Javelin Venom & had to replace the carpet (owner spilled oil all over back deck) Anyways it is pretty easy to do, Like 1fastlaser said it is more time consuming than anything.
My dad & I did it in one afternoon while had a couple of cold ones, just be sure to get the excess glue up before it totally dries. I had to ask the fellows on here how to remove it (use acetone).
Also shop around for carpet I cant remember where I got mine from (somewhere off the internet) but it was almost half of what Bass Pro & Cabellas wanted, The glue is fairly cheap If I remember correctly around $20 a gallon which will be more than enough (one of my little ones spilled 1/4 of mine & I still had some left over when the job was complete)

Anyways give her try I think you will be pleasantly surprised
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 02:37 PM   #9
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Let me rephrase, My Dad & I LAID the carpet in one afternoon, I spent 2 days removing the old carpet & glue by myself
Old 04-20-06, 02:52 PM   #10
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry for the triple posting, but remembered a few tips that could help you out if you deciede to do it your self

1. Glue instructions will say to let the glue get good & tacky, DONT let it, cuz once it gets tacky if the carpet slips out of your hand or its not laid straight the first time, if you try & pull it back up more than likely the carpet will tear or have little holes all in it from the glue was too tacky.
I messed up 2 peices of carpet this way thank goodness we had extra carpet left over.
I simply brushed it on then turned right around & laid the carpet, this way if you need to slide it in place or move it around some, it wont be stuck yet. After you get it in place let it dry or sit for 45 minutes or an hour & use a rolling pin to make sure its good & stuck.

2. I wouldnt use a razor blade or knife it will leave uneven edges once the blade gets dull & this doesnt take long about 3 or 4 cuts. I bought a pair of fabric scissors for $3 at Wally World & you will get a straight & even cut every time.

hope this helps
Old 04-21-06, 10:58 AM   #11
JamesJR
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Cmac, I let you know the outcome
Old 04-21-06, 03:30 PM   #12
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Anytime, just glad I could be of some service Instead of the one always asking questions
Old 04-21-06, 06:21 PM   #13
zooker

ohh dang hope you used some ky gives new meaning to carpet burn..owww!!!

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.