Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-06, 07:40 PM   #1
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bearing Buddies

My new trailer came with bearing buddies and I've noticed after a couple trips a large amount of white milky grease coming out and getting on the inside of the bra/cap.

After cleaning the excess away (which I just assume means there is too much grease in the hub) I noticed the blue rim for checking purposes is sticking out unevenly. Is this normal or do I need to do some maintanence. In reading my manual it states that the blue rim will begin to become sucked in when grease becomes low. Then you simply add more grease and it will come back out again. It's out, but it's uneven.

Thanks for the help guys. New to bearing buddies and I figure if any one can help it'd be on here that I go first.
Old 05-03-06, 10:43 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

From your description, it's not sealing up, and therefor doing nothing but letting water get in. Yes, if that's correct you NEED to do maintenance, or at least a Professional needs to look at it.

Lizards
Old 05-04-06, 06:36 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Its a simple and inexpensive fix buddy. Tear down the hubs after removing the wheels. SInce they are relatively new bearings would be or should be in good shape, Go to your local auto parts store and obtain a set of seals. Clean them thouroughly and repack the bearings before installing them and put in the new seals and reassemble. The milky white grease is grease that has been contaminated with water. Before assembling take some 220 or 320 emory cloth and buff up the spindle. When cleaning the bearing buddy assembly be sure and clean the reatining ring thouroughly. Thats all there is to it buddy. Another tip when assembling make sure you use a good marine grease as it helps to retard water invasion. Should be good to go for another year.
Old 05-04-06, 07:48 AM   #4
WIbassfisherman

Thanks guys. I'll get someone to look at it right away. If they can confirm the water getting in, I'll get to tearing them apart. Lovely!
Old 05-04-06, 04:05 PM   #5
bass kicker

i just filled up the grease in our bearing buddies

do you remove the old grease from you bearings
Old 05-04-06, 08:30 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Hey WI-changing/repacking the bearings isn't difficult-just messy . Last time I did it I changed the hubs completely. The hubs were $10 more than the seal/race/bearing kit, so I just changed the whole thing out. Took about 2 hours and I was good to go.
Old 05-04-06, 08:37 PM   #7
JB

a mallet and grease and some elbow grease, ya can do it~ beats seeing smoke from the side rear view mirrow a hour down the road to the lake huh reb?
Have ya priced bearings lately? geesh everything is going UP in price
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 08:49 PM   #8
Rebbasser

A 2X4 and a hammer and grease up to your elbow moreso than elbow grease
Old 05-05-06, 12:23 AM   #9
WIbassfisherman

Having my partner taking a look at it tomorrow to confirm my decision before I take her in for some work. I teach a particular student who's father is a mechanic. He works pretty cheap when I'll give him some fresh walleye fillets. Rather defer to the experts so I'm not seeing smoke down the road.
Old 05-05-06, 05:39 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

While on this subject and after reading JB's reply I STRONGLY recommend that anyone towing a boat keep the appropiate tools in your boat or tow vehicle that will allow you to change out a bearing. Last seal/bearing kit I bout cost me $18 dollars. A little piece of mind knowing that even if you are in the middle of no where that if that bearing starts smoking a quick road side stop and your off again and wont take out a spindle.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.