Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-12, 10:31 PM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Pink baits will catch bass!

Everyone knows a pink floating worm or pink fluke can be deadly on bass but most guys I know don't even own a pink hardbait. I was one of those until recently. I actually bought a pink X-rap for a trout fishing trip I'm going on next week but my buddy saw it and laughed because "What are you doing to do that after your trout trip? No bass is going to eat it." Wrong! Here's 3lbs and 14oz of before work bass to prove that bass will eat pink hardbaits.

I know some of you northern guys like the pink baits for smallmouth but they don't get much love around here.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 10:41 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey blue...it's kinda hard to tell from the pic but it looks like that bass may be a little "limp finned"
Nah...if you put that plug is in the right place at the right time at the right depth and at the right speed or cadence......they'll commit
Good job!
Old 03-02-12, 11:37 PM   #3
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

Pepto Bismo pink, gotta love it.
Have been seeing quite a few senko types in pink lately, though.
Nice fish.
Old 03-03-12, 04:17 PM   #4
3dkicker

That ain't pink....that looks like bubblegum to me.

Bubblegum superfluke is a bait that should be in every tacklebox.
Old 03-04-12, 12:46 PM   #5
joedog

Thats a great story!
I too wondered how pink on anything other than soft plastics works.
Someone here made a pink jig I'm excited to hear about and I buddy who musky fishes exclusively and frequently (Northern Wi.) says he's had limited success on pink hardbody 'walk baits'.

I think there's definitly room for pink in the skeem of things.

After Peta finishes with lead, I'm hearing thier barnching off and make a mandatory 'all color including a mandatory pink section' in all tackle boxes. Oh and I heard Rapala can't keep the pink broke backs in stock?
I'm sorry, it slipped out.

Thanks again for the share and do you now think you may also try again or more often with pink? Or 'mauve' rhymes with "stove". Makes it easier to say in public.

Last edited by joedog; 03-04-12 at 12:56 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 01:47 PM   #6
lilmule

From looking at it only the top is pink,they will mostly see the minnow flash color of the sides more than the top.
But agree they will hit pink or bubblegum,stripers and largemouth will readily take a pink frog when used under bridges,tend to think they think its a nestling cliff swallow that didnt make its first flight or took one to early.
Next time your under a large bridge look up chock full of nests.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 06:27 PM   #7
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
From looking at it only the top is pink,they will mostly see the minnow flash color of the sides more than the top.
But agree they will hit pink or bubblegum,stripers and largemouth will readily take a pink frog when used under bridges,tend to think they think its a nestling cliff swallow that didnt make its first flight or took one to early.
I never thought of the bridge and swallow angle thats a great idea. I fish two areas that fit the bill. Both produce good but a pink frog, never considered. I will this this spring. Theres frogging water by both, I've just always jigged or wormed the bridge then moved short distance to frog. No more, thanks.
Old 03-04-12, 07:11 PM   #8
lilmule

Bubblegum pink sumo,its the only open water that bait will work in,also works in the pads.
Toss at abuttments corners being of utmost importance,along with what is directly overhead.
And definately on braid if stripers are around.Works in the pads at times as while oversized spring peepers ,mtn chorus and other tree frogs when small or even as adults have pink sides and feet and they dont see it all in the pads normally.Green tree frogs here are often a bright or pale aqua,try matching that,think thats tied to the 8.1 ph level in the lake,lower in summer higher after rains yes almost alkaline.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-04-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 09:18 AM   #9
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
The pond I caught this bass from is so shallow you have to hold your reel above your head to keep the bait from hitting bottom burying in the mud so they almost have to be looking down and seeing the pink top.

joedog-I put up a picture of a pink and white jig I made for my wife about a month ago. She hasn't fished it yet but I'm sure she will in a month or two and I'll be sure to post the results.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 03:09 PM   #10
Tavery5

Red and pink colored baits have always interested me. They are long wavelength colors are are among the first to lose their ability to reflect light while underwater. Water clarity plays a role but it is generally believed that Red and Orange and their shades can lose the ability to reflect light in as shallow as 3-4 ft of water.

It is believed that these colors display as different shades of gray rather than red or orange. I try to imagine what the bait would look like in shades of gray. I find it interesting to think that it may be the absence of color that is actually drawing the strike, rather than the myriad of colors we often choose to use.
Old 03-05-12, 03:29 PM   #11
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have long doubted the relevance of color in fishing lures (though that hasn't stopped me from filling my boxes with a zillion different color lures....hmmm). I'm fairly certain it has to do with contrast ratio, in which case there are probably 3-4 different colored lures in your box at any given time that would provide the same contrast ratio with that's day's water conditions.

Oh well, I'm not sure I want to understand it all anymore. It might take the fun out of it.
Old 03-05-12, 04:07 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Bubblegum pink sumo,its the only open water that bait will work in,also works in the pads.
Toss at abuttments corners being of utmost importance,along with what is directly overhead.
And definately on braid if stripers are around.Works in the pads at times as while oversized spring peepers ,mtn chorus and other tree frogs when small or even as adults have and pink sides feet and they dont see it all in the pads normally.Green tree frogs here are often a bright or pale aqua,try matching that,think thats tied to the 8.1 ph level in the lake,lower in summer higher after rains yes almost alkaline.
Hey mule just when I think I've got a handle on how to interpret your posts you manage to blindside me. If this post was intended to draw us into a circular maze of logic then it's a super success....if it was serious commentary about frog colors...then I vote it to become a sticky!!!
Old 03-05-12, 06:07 PM   #13
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey mule just when I think I've got a handle on how to interpret your posts you manage to blindside me. If this post was intended to draw us into a circular maze of logic then it's a super success....if it was serious commentary about frog colors...then I vote it to become a sticky!!!
What he said.
Old 03-05-12, 06:23 PM   #14
lilmule

Uh know several brands of frogs that work better in open water than a pink sumo.
And if you was to figure me out id most likly have to kill ya,be kinda like taking the blindfold off on the way to secret hole 189.Hidden in plain view.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.