Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-07, 11:01 AM   #1
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16
Default hey need ur help

hey im going to a big pond its a lake but its and big pond i need to know what to use and theres alot of weeds in the water and theres some weeds on top of water and weeds that arent on top yet. theyre are some bass spawning right know and theres a part where it is rock. what should i do and where i go
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 04:33 PM   #2
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

Try a weedless topwater frog over and next to the weeds, a spinnerbait or crankbait parallel to the weeds, and a pig n jig next to cover or on the beds. I have also heard that tubes work good on spawning bass.

Bob
bobsmitter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 04:37 PM   #3
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

A good tip I have for spawning bass is if you got some decent polarized sunglasses and can see the beds pretty well, take a lizard with a very bright tail and flip it on that bed and twitch it a good bit. The male will come and pick up the lizard and usually spit it out of the bed. So be quick on the hookset!! When you catch the male, leave him out of the water for just a minute and throw back in that same bed. Usually big momma will come and protect the bed in the male's absence.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 04:46 PM   #4
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I would also suggest a topwater frog over the weeds like bobsmitter said and a spinnerbait just over the submerged weeds. You could also try a super fluke or a suspenting rogue to get the fishes attension
Old 05-16-07, 12:15 AM   #5
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
A good tip I have for spawning bass is if you got some decent polarized sunglasses and can see the beds pretty well, take a lizard with a very bright tail and flip it on that bed and twitch it a good bit. The male will come and pick up the lizard and usually spit it out of the bed. So be quick on the hookset!! When you catch the male, leave him out of the water for just a minute and throw back in that same bed. Usually big momma will come and protect the bed in the male's absence.
Polarized sunglasses are a must. You can see a lot better than you think you could see now. About 2 weeks ago i was fishing at a 15 acre pond. While I was fishing at one of my favorite spots I saw a big bed. I saw it at the exact moment that the sun came out from behind the clouds and the wind stopped for just a few seconds that i spotted it. One of the bigest beds i have ever seen, much farther out from shore than any of the other beds i have spotted. I made a cast right in-line with it and a few feet past it. As soon as I dragged my brush hog through it I set the hook(or what I thought). The fish swam straight towards me the entire time. When i had it to shore i realized that i had never hooked it it just kind of hung on. There were no hook marks in the fish so if i did hook it it would of had to have been through the gill slit kind of. As soon as it got to shore it fell off but, I made an attempt to grab it in the 2 inch water and amazingly I lipped it somehow. It was the 4th biggest bass i have ever caught at 21.5" for the length and 15.5" for the girth. I would have never even seen the bed without polarized sunglasses.

Bob
bobsmitter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 10:21 AM   #6
bigbassdan16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbassdan16 Send a message via Yahoo to bigbassdan16

thanks guys i did great i caught 15 bass i use a senko and frogs they kept missing the frog what should i have done if i kept missing them with a frog should i have change or what im not going today behalf of the rain or i might just go and fish for a little ill put my pics on here but there to small where r the big ones at i cant get any big ones
bigbassdan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 10:48 AM   #7
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Sometimes there just arnt big ones. I have a small lake next to my house and we stocked it close to 12 years ago and I sill havnt caught anything over 2 1/2 lbs there. With the frog make sure you give them a second to take it before you set the hook.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 11:55 PM   #8
MSfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

if you can see the bass on the bed throw a creature bait (i prefer brush-hogs)into a bed, shake it and if the bass stares at it and slowly starts to lift its tail higher than its head it usually means the bass is about to strike.
MSfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 09:40 AM   #9
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If they're hittin the frog, but not swallowin it, ya need to count to 3 before you set the hook. That'll usually get ya at least a few.....
Old 05-26-07, 12:09 PM   #10
Sapper364
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with flbassman, biggest mistake we make with top waters is setting the hook before the bass has the bait, also the hardest to break. Drop the rod tip count to three and drag that thing in.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.