Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-07, 10:25 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tournament Prefishing?

How beneficial has prefishing been in your tournaments....its funny but it just seems like people get some big ones in practice and then drop the ball in the tournaments all the time? Seems to me like fish change so much that prefishin just lets yah test the waters....find maybe some spots but usually the fish will be hitting something different come tournament time.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 08:23 AM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm going tomorrow to practice for a tournament I have on the 14th. My brother and I are going to fish a couple places we've never been before. There is going to be 2 other tournaments (BFL and a Federation tx) at the same time with ours and I'm guessing at least 250 boats on the river. We are going to try to find some out of the way stuff that not many people fish. The big thing for us right now is finding bigger fish. We shouldn't have a problem getting a limit but we need to find the bigger fish and that's one of our goals practicing tomorrow too.
I know what you mean about catching bigger fish in practice and not in the tournament. We did that on Kentucky lake a couple years ago. Caught 4 lbers all over the lake then couldn't catch but one on the second day of the tourney. Just how it goes sometime. Maybe one day I'll figure it out like KVD! LOL

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 08:33 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We almost always used to pre fish if allowed, it gives you a huge boost in confidence, and if you can't figure out the pattern at least just cruising around gives you an idea of what other guys are doing...I always pay attention to the most sunburned guy out there, ya figure he's on fish every day of the week rofl.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:08 AM   #4
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

you have to go prefishing without it you have no idea what the bass are holding on what they are eating what depth. you know nothing except what they should be doing and remember bass dont read the same books we do. or like jb said you find the guy who knows the lake the best and see what he does. lol. but you have to prefish.
Old 07-02-07, 08:51 PM   #5
BPACA

Yeah I need to get down there.....probably the 4th would be the best day cuz I don't want to sore mouth them too bad before the tournament.....
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 09:27 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Do yourself a favor, and just catch a couple in a area, and move on. Remove hooks from cranks, cut off you points on your hooks. I can't tell you how many times I have been partnered with guys who tell me they were killing the bass, and huge bags, just 2, 3, 4 days ago. Then come tourney time can't figure out why the fish aren't biting or there rotfl. Don't soremouth where you want to fish, and don't allow people to think you are on fish there, they will overun it.

Lizards
Old 07-03-07, 07:50 AM   #7
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

yeah the best time is the day before. you may be catching them in a grass bed one day and they are gone the next.
Old 07-06-07, 12:19 PM   #8
Fish2win

I have fished Tx for 30 years and have come to this conclusion. If you fish the same lakes all the time year round practice fishing is not necessarily helpful and at time a disadvantage.
Now before you get irrate listen to my reasons.
I live in East tennessee. We fish the TVA Tennesee river lakes in the Knoxville area.These lakes go up and down seasonally.TVA pulls water at different times daily and the bass respond to the current created in the lake.There are 7 lakes we fish. During the summer months all our tx are at night. The bass are generally schooling and practice can be of some benefit for locateing the areas they are holding and in determining the bait color size or type.On some of our lakes the fish will be from 15 to 30 feet deep at night while at others they may venture to the more shallow areas.
I have kept a diary for the last 15 years and it has taught me that the same locations ,patterns and depths work about the same time every summer. Taking practice time to confirm the fish can be helpful.
During the spring and fall this goes out the window. In the spring the water level changes almost every day. The weather changes fast and the fish move often. If I practice and go to the Tx with a preset mind set it makes me 1 demensional. If the fish have changed as they often do in the spring then my practice time was wasted and deteremental.
In the fall the water is dropping fast. The upper lakes can have a 40 foot draw down in the fall. Again the fish are moving and in the late fall water temps and weather patterns once again come into play.
I have found that in the spring or fall I do much better by just going fishing the day of the TX and during the summer to practice. I know the lakes well and know the potenial patterns well.
Sorry to get so drawn out. Fish2win
Old 07-06-07, 03:52 PM   #9
zooker

nah fishin you are right.. prefishing for a tourny is ok 2 weeks ahead of time.. as for a couple days nah.. what you need is to fish the body of water. find what baits /colors work best then you know what to use the where to use it is easier to figure out..

zooker
Old 07-07-07, 03:40 PM   #10
Fish2win

I would be more interested in knowing if and where there was any colored water and what depth the fish were at as well as thermacline in the summer. Ridieng around with a good Graph and looking at the water andlake stage will tell you most of what you need to know.Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.