Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-09, 08:04 AM   #1
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braided Line Make up

I enjoy bouncing around from various fishing websites and reading the different opinions on many topics. I recently was interested in reading about braided line, since I will be changing all my spinning reels to 10 lb Power Pro this season. I found out that the number of strands making up braided line adds to the smoothes and handling of the line. Power Pro uses 4, Suffix uses 6 and Berkeley Braid uses 8. Since I am not a braid user yet I can not offer a critique. I am interested in what the users of this forum think about it. My take on reading these forums is that Power Pro was the king a few years back but brands like Suffix and Berkeley Braid has past it. I also read that Power Pro may be doing some updating in the year future.
Andy F
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 09:09 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfender View Post
I enjoy bouncing around from various fishing websites and reading the different opinions on many topics. I recently was interested in reading about braided line, since I will be changing all my spinning reels to 10 lb Power Pro this season. I found out that the number of strands making up braided line adds to the smoothes and handling of the line. Power Pro uses 4, Suffix uses 6 and Berkeley Braid uses 8. Since I am not a braid user yet I can not offer a critique. I am interested in what the users of this forum think about it. My take on reading these forums is that Power Pro was the king a few years back but brands like Suffix and Berkeley Braid has past it. I also read that Power Pro may be doing some updating in the year future.
Andy F
Yup! You got that right on!

I my knowledge, before Ppro, spider wire was top dog though!
Old 12-23-09, 12:25 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I prefer 20# braid on my spinning reels as the 10# is like thread and I'd get a lot of wind knots with it. Moving up to 20# minimized that issue. Suffix is what I'm currently using.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 01:18 PM   #4
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I prefer 20# braid on my spinning reels as the 10# is like thread and I'd get a lot of wind knots with it. Moving up to 20# minimized that issue. Suffix is what I'm currently using.
Are you using a leader with the 20# Braid on your spinning Reel?
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 01:39 PM   #5
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had good success with the new Fireline braids. The line is very smooth. I use it on both spinning and casting reels.
However, many people swear by the original fused Fireline for their spinning reels. They say that the flatter profile seems to stay on the open face spool better than a rounder profile...
If you are new to braid, perhaps I can offer you a couple of ideas from my own experience...
1. On a spinning reel, close the bale by hand and guide the line onto the pick-up roller. Braid needs to be wound tightly on the spool. Because Braid is very limp, it might lack the "body" to slip onto the pick-up as easily as a plastic line. By using your hand you assure that the line is always in place and wound tightly on the spool.

2. When choosing a weight of braided line, ignore the pounds test rating. Consider what weight of Mono. you would use for this application, then choose a Braid of a similar DIAMETER. This is now very easy to do since the diameter and equivalent in Mono is printer on the box.
The reason for this suggestion is that although on a straight pull the Braid might be as strong as say, 10 pound test mono, it's equivalent diameter is only about the same as 2 pound test mono...This small diameter means that the line will cut-off on rocks or Zebra Mussel etc. just as easily as a two pound test mono.

I have used short Fluorocarbon leaders with 10, 15 and 20 pound Braid, on my spinning reels, but unless I'm Drop-shotting, where the fish get to study the bait, I don't think it really makes any difference.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 06:16 PM   #6
BeaverIslander

I was very impressed with the new Fireline Braid until I got a defective spool of 30# line this last Summer. It was full of scuffs ever 5 or 10 yards, same as if I had a busted guide that was damaging it. I casted off a $10 spinnerbait in mid case twice in 10 minutes before realizing what the problem was and respooling. I was able to locate the spinner because the line floats.

I personally think 15# PowerPro is the best all-around line for spinning setups. I use the 10 and 20 also, depending on the cover and presentation. I started using fluorocarbon leaders this last Summer, and I believe I got a few more bites than I would have w/o, but I also broke off a few fish at the double-uni leader/line knot. So there's the trade off. I think you need to be a little more gentle when using a fluoro leader, and to retie often because the rod guides damage the knot. I still choose to use the leader.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 06:18 PM   #7
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
I have had good success with the new Fireline braids. The line is very smooth. I use it on both spinning and casting reels.
However, many people swear by the original fused Fireline for their spinning reels. They say that the flatter profile seems to stay on the open face spool better than a rounder profile...
If you are new to braid, perhaps I can offer you a couple of ideas from my own experience...
1. On a spinning reel, close the bale by hand and guide the line onto the pick-up roller. Braid needs to be wound tightly on the spool. Because Braid is very limp, it might lack the "body" to slip onto the pick-up as easily as a plastic line. By using your hand you assure that the line is always in place and wound tightly on the spool.

2. When choosing a weight of braided line, ignore the pounds test rating. Consider what weight of Mono. you would use for this application, then choose a Braid of a similar DIAMETER. This is now very easy to do since the diameter and equivalent in Mono is printer on the box.
The reason for this suggestion is that although on a straight pull the Braid might be as strong as say, 10 pound test mono, it's equivalent diameter is only about the same as 2 pound test mono...This small diameter means that the line will cut-off on rocks or Zebra Mussel etc. just as easily as a two pound test mono.

I have used short Fluorocarbon leaders with 10, 15 and 20 pound Braid, on my spinning reels, but unless I'm Drop-shotting, where the fish get to study the bait, I don't think it really makes any difference.
Garry2R's
I agree with most of what he says so I hate to call the guy out, but this highlighted claim is simply not true. Look at how difficult braid is to cut. 10 and 15 lb braid is my go-to line in the super shallow and rocky Upper Mississippi River when smallie and walleye fishing, and if 10 lb braid had the same abrasion resistance as mono, I would be lucky to land a single fish. This is primarily a wading area in St. Cloud with the exception of a few River Pro jetboats.

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 12-23-09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 06:37 PM   #8
Bassboss

If you use a flouro leader, use this knot to attach them.

It's pretty tricky, but once you get it down pat it's not that hard, and it'll be for learning when you don't break off that hawg!
Old 12-23-09, 07:03 PM   #9
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Are you using a leader with the 20# Braid on your spinning Reel?
Yes, usually a 3 - 4' piece of 8# -10# flurocarbon. I think the leader helps for slow presentations, especially finesse which is my primary use for spinning tackle.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 09:32 PM   #10
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
If you use a flouro leader, use this knot to attach them.

It's pretty tricky, but once you get it down pat it's not that hard, and it'll be for learning when you don't break off that hawg!
Which knot is that? Is it low profile?
Old 12-24-09, 05:42 PM   #11
WTL

I just havent had any problems with PP, so its hard to get geared up to changing. BB I think said he likes the suffix braid, so I will probably give that a go before next spring, but I am a little unsure where I am going to see improvement.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 08:15 PM   #12
danielbasspro

Power Pro 20 lbs.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.