Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-10, 03:45 PM   #1
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braided line for T-rigs on a spinning reel?

I personally like to use spinning gear when it comes to light weight lures like most kinds of soft plastics because its much easier to cast the lures and you can get them further and can throw them into the wind without backlashing.Can braid be used for texas rigged soft plastics,
with a fluorocarbon leader of course?
I put braid on my casting reels all the time but never have tried it on a spinning reel.
Has anyone ever tried this or currently does this?
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 04:34 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Braid works very well on a spinning reel. A lot of people use it because it's not affected by the line twist that spinning reels are susceptible to.
Old 08-17-10, 04:37 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

Using braid with a fluoro leader is my favorite setup for spinning reels. I almost always use 8 lb. braid with a 7-8 ft fluoro leader. Just make sure the connection knot (I like the double-uni) doesn't ever go under the line roller on your reel.

Line coils and twists are not an issue anymore. Casting distance is greatly enhanced, and sensitivity is increased. No downsides in my opinion.
Old 08-17-10, 04:40 PM   #4
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Kevin,
On your uni-uni knot, how many twists do you do for braid and mono? Ive had some people tell me 5 and 5, but others say more for braid and less for mono.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 04:44 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

I do 5 twists with the fluoro and 6 twists with the braid. I've never had the knot break on a fish and quite honestly, doubt it ever will.

You do want to inspect the knot as your cinching it down to make sure it all seats properly. An incorrectly seated double uni will look clumpy and the wraps won't be threaded around the main line evenly. If this happens you get a weaker knot and a thicker knot that may hang in the guides. Not that tying a good uni-uni is hard, just don't be haphazard with it and you should make sure it seats correctly.

If you wanted to be extra safe (not necessary though in my opinion), you could put a drop of Pro's Soft~Bait Glue on the connection knot and that pretty much guarantees near 100% knot strength. But like I said, I don't even bother with that.
Old 08-17-10, 04:44 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Both my spinning reels have braid w/ a fluorocarbon leader.

10lb Spiderwire Ultracast w/ 6-8lb leader on my dropshot rod.

15lb Spiderwire Ultracast w/ 8-10lb leader on my shaky head/wacky rig rod.

I'd go up to about 20lb braid on a spinning reel.

BB
Old 08-17-10, 04:45 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
Kevin,
On your uni-uni knot, how many twists do you do for braid and mono? Ive had some people tell me 5 and 5, but others say more for braid and less for mono.

TB
I use 7-8 for the braid, and 4-5 for the mono/fluoro.

BB
Old 08-17-10, 05:06 PM   #8
walkeraviator

is uni-uni really better than a blood knot?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 05:21 PM   #9
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Using braid with a fluoro leader is my favorite setup for spinning reels. I almost always use 8 lb. braid with a 7-8 ft fluoro leader. Just make sure the connection knot (I like the double-uni) doesn't ever go under the line roller on your reel.

Line coils and twists are not an issue anymore. Casting distance is greatly enhanced, and sensitivity is increased. No downsides in my opinion.
Thats great to hear
Yea the double uni knot is all I ever use to connect braid to the backing line and the leader and its not going to break.
My only question is doesnt 8lb braid and alot of light braid lines tend to dig inside the spool? For this reason I use only 30lb+ braid on my baitcasters.
Old 08-17-10, 05:26 PM   #10
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Both my spinning reels have braid w/ a fluorocarbon leader.

10lb Spiderwire Ultracast w/ 6-8lb leader on my dropshot rod.

15lb Spiderwire Ultracast w/ 8-10lb leader on my shaky head/wacky rig rod.

I'd go up to about 20lb braid on a spinning reel.

BB
Never used spiderwire ultracast I usually use power pro how is it?
Old 08-17-10, 05:40 PM   #11
Garry2rs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here is a link to the Albright Special. This knot is so small that it goes through micro guides and can be wound onto your reel, if you want.
It might not be quite as strong as the Uni-Uni, I don't know, but it will be close.
Garry2R's
http://tackletog.com/cal/2010/08/07/...-demonstrated/
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:53 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
Never used spiderwire ultracast I usually use power pro how is it?
Power Pro is not a bad line, and I'd use it if I needed it. But the Spiderwire is so much smoother and therefore quieter than PP. However, it is a bit more expensive. I'm waiting for the new Sufix 832 braid to come out. Should be some great stuff.

BB
Old 08-17-10, 10:23 PM   #13
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
My only question is doesnt 8lb braid and alot of light braid lines tend to dig inside the spool? For this reason I use only 30lb+ braid on my baitcasters.
I don't have any problems with line digging into itself on my spinning gear. Not to mention the drag will usually give way under such heavy pullage that is required for line to dig in.

I use Stren Sonic Braid. It is one of the smallest diameter braids at 8 lb test available. I haven't looked hard, but so far I haven't found anything smaller in diameter... even from the higher end Japanese braids. The small diameter increases lure action and casting distance.
Old 08-19-10, 01:39 PM   #14
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm waiting for the new Sufix 832 braid to come out. Should be some great stuff.

BB
That stuff looks like its going to be really great.I read its coming out in 2011 is that accurate?
Old 08-19-10, 04:33 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
That stuff looks like its going to be really great.I read its coming out in 2011 is that accurate?
Late this year or early next I believe.

BB
Old 08-21-10, 10:11 AM   #16
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
is uni-uni really better than a blood knot?
Much easier to tie IMO.
Old 08-21-10, 01:46 PM   #17
ontariofisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

I really need to learn my knots, I cheat and use this site.
http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
ontariofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 08:33 PM   #18
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
I don't have any problems with line digging into itself on my spinning gear. Not to mention the drag will usually give way under such heavy pullage that is required for line to dig in.

I use Stren Sonic Braid. It is one of the smallest diameter braids at 8 lb test available. I haven't looked hard, but so far I haven't found anything smaller in diameter... even from the higher end Japanese braids. The small diameter increases lure action and casting distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Was looking around on tackle warehouse and they've got a new braid out.. or at least one I've never seen.

55lb Samaria braid is 10lb Equivalent.

This Cortland Masterbraid stuff, is 50/8!!

The norm for 50lb is 12lb.

I was wondering if anyone has some info on this line, maybe the amount of carriers it has or the pick count.. or what makes it some thin!

Anyone use this either, is it smooth? And how does it preform?
I don't have any first hand experience with the Cortland Masterbraid, but from the info presented at the tackle warehouse site, it looks like it could be a good product. As you are probably well aware, Cortland has been a major provider of fly line for decades. Since (floating) fly line is primarily large diameter braided line with a waterproof coating, it seems likely to me that Cortland has adapted some of their fly line coating technology to the process of making smaller diameter bait casting braid. If it is as smooth as some of their fly lines, it would probably outperform some of the competing brands of braid.

I decided earlier today to order some Cortland braid, for one of my BC reels, and maybe for a spinner also. I'll post my findings after I have a chance to evaluate it.

Old 08-22-10, 02:14 AM   #19
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have one spinning reel with 10lb and another with 25 or 30 lb... never had a problem with either digging in... I primarily use spinning reels and use braid and copoly (Power Pro green braid and Pline CX or CXX copoly) for everything.... braid for top water and some weed bottom lures, and copoly for open water lures...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 10:54 AM   #20
tim4081

Here's another vote for braid on spinning tackle....I use 10lb Power Pro on my Pflueger reel for small plastics such as 4" senkos, small creature baits,flukes etc. I'll use a fluoro leader if abrasion is a concern or in clearer water. The uni to uni knot has never failed me when using the leader.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 08:43 AM   #21
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

Kevin,

What line do you use on a baitcaster?

Andy
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 10:15 PM   #22
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfender View Post
Kevin,

What line do you use on a baitcaster?

Andy
Andy, there's all kinds of different lines, used for different applications. Check here to get an idea about what kind of lines to use for what. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, of course, but that chart may provide the answer you're looking for.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.