Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-11, 10:12 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Keeping your reels Dry!!

Just a little moisture/water in your reel can do terrible damage! It’s fairly easy to get water/moisture in a reel but more difficult to get it out! I will even go as far as using compressed air to spray out my reels. I prefer to spray them out with my air compressor when I get back to my shop. I fish in the rain a lot. A whole LOT! And was always having to open my reels up to spray them and wipe em down…..a headache since I don’t have rod lockers on my boat and even though I would keep the reels covered with reel covers, moisture was almost impossible to keep out. I went as far as to try and attach a dehumidifier into a cabinet that would help suck the moisture out of my reels. With a lot of searching and looking I found a product that works really well. The device is called a desiccators. A desiccator is a sealable enclosure containing desiccant used for preserving moisture sensitive items. Desiccants are a substance that helps keep moisture out. An example would be the little silica gel tablets that come in numerous packages. Another example is the trick of putting your cell phone in a bag of rice when it gets wet. The rice is the desiccant. With that being said I bought a deesiccator and a rechargeable desiccant to use. I take my reels and place them in the desiccators and let them sit overnight to suck out the moisture. The desiccant is rechargeable in the oven. The desiccators only holds 5 reels at a time. You can use any container that is an air tight enclosure. I’m looking into a larger enclosure like some type of Tupperware that will hold like ten reels. Another thing that you can do is take the rechargeable desiccant and place some in your rod locker. Haven’t done this myself but worth a go.

Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.