Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-11, 01:08 PM   #26
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
I guess one thing that has troubled me for a long time, is the overall lack of good education materials about reel care from the manufactureres. Some of the pathetic instructions that come with reels even go as far as to suggest that you should rinse reels under running water after each trip, especialy if fishing in saltwater. What they don't go on and say is that if you do that, there are several more steps that need to be done to then dry the reel and relube it. I think that thier plan is that most reels will last for one season doing that and then they plan for you to send them in for service. If it then needs some new parts, they will get to sell you some parts each year also. The fact is, most anglers can't justify the expense of having all of thier reels serviced every year. In that case, you really need to be more diligent about trying to keep them clean and dry.

One other thing that I often wonder about, and this too I blame on the manufactureres and the lack of instruction, is the difference in the way we treat reels over other similar priced objects. We are led to believe that because reels are used close to water and can even be used in rain, that they must be meant to be waterproof. The fact is, they are not. Most of my reels cost as much or more than just about any other items i own. I know that I can use my duck hunting shotgun in light rain, but I wouldn't dream of sticking it in it's case and putting it away without being sure that it was completly dry and lightly oiled first. I have some very nice bow hunting equipment also. I have often been in a light drizzle while sitting in a tree stand with that bow. I don't recall anyone ever telling me that i need to dry it off and oil the wheels, but I just know that it needs to be dried before it goes in it's case if it got wet. It also needs a small drop of oil on the wheels if they got wet. Items such as guns and hunting equipment are not meant to be used in water, so we just naturally seem to know that they need some attention if they get wet. We also know to store items like that in dry areas. For some reason, we just don't think that reels need that same level of care. The fact is, that if you expect many years of trouble free use from items that cost hundreds of dollars, then there is a minimum level of care that should be performed.
From the mouth of a Pro!!!!!!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.