Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-10, 12:53 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Let me get some of your opinions

Well, I had to some of you guys a while back in the chat room about getting a used, new to me truck. It was a Chevy 08 2500 w/Duramax, crew cab and loaded with everything but leather and navigation with 29K miles in the low 20s. He told me when I left for Singapore, to call him when I got back. Well, I called him today and he said it should be coming out of the shop in a couple of days. I thought, hmmm, and asked why it was in the shop. He said it was wrecked on the front end and a lot of the driver's side had to be replaced. I reckon that is why I was getting such a good deal on a truck with a NADA at 40K. The guy that led me to him said he sold trucks cheap that were repos and from auctions. He didn't mention salvage titles though. I am just weary of it. I know it is a good deal and the truck is under warranty for the engine and and train, but what do some of you more mechanical or people who have dealt with this think about it? Should I bail off in it or am I getting set up for a lemon?
Old 05-25-10, 01:54 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man Curado I hate to say this to you because I know how bad you are wanting this ride, but I think you are right for being weary. I try to live by the rule that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. A truck like that at half price sure sounds too good to be true to me. I bought a Jeep Wrangler that had a salvage title one time and other than a few minor problems it was a good vehicle. However now that I am older and wiser I look back and understand why my dad about flipped his lid when I bought it. I think I dodged a bullet by not buying someone elses headache. Good luck with whatever you do brother.
Old 05-25-10, 08:06 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think you are right for being weary, but I bought my truck the same way.

When I was looking, I knew I couldn't afford gas or insurance on a big truck, even though I wanted (and still want) one. And of course, the only small truck I like is the most expensive on the market.

It took a lot of searching, but I found an 04 Chevy Colorado. It was on a dealer's lot when it was hit, or run into something. Airbags deployed, one tire punctured, broken ABS sensor, and some body damage. It was the same story, the guy I bought it from got it at an insurance auction. Like your's it's almost fully loaded and had about 60k miles.

You can get great deals on damaged vehicles, and not all are salvage titles. We ended up getting it for less than half of what the dealer wanted (sticker was still in the window) and came out just a little over half that price after all the parts.

I'd think you should be ok as long as there was no frame damage, and you trust the mechanics that put it back together. As we did 99% of the work on my truck ourselves, we did trust the mechanics. The thing I'd be more leery of would be that he didn't bother to tell you it was a salvage vehicle.

Also, if you get the truck and have to get the salvage title changed, you will most likely need receipts from the mechanic. In Ohio, we had to take my truck to the State Highway Patrol office for an inspection and bring along receipts for EVERYTHING we bought for the truck. mostly, they checked to make sure it was safe for the road and that the parts weren't stolen.

BB
Old 05-25-10, 09:22 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Guys, please keep in mind that the only body damage that gets repaired after an accident is the stuff that is visible to the naked eye.

When a vehicle is involved in a collision, there are hundreds of fasteners, seals, and other stuff with tight tolerances that are stressed. These things might look fine afterward, but they could actually be damaged and are weaker than in their new condition.

I will not buy a vehicle that has had major collision repair, unless I am involved in the repair, at least from a customer standpoint.
Old 05-25-10, 10:11 AM   #5
MIbasser

Bubba, I'm not sure how a warranty will work if it's a salvaged title. I would check with GM on that one. If the insurance company wrote the vehicle off, GM may have as well.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 11:30 AM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My buddy buys wrecked cars and fixes and sells them cheap.
I go look at em with him.
You know more about how bad it is if you can see it before it is fixed. They could be putting it together with zip ties for all you know.
On the other hand you could be getting a great truck cheap.
Old 05-25-10, 11:45 AM   #7
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The short answer: It's a gamble!

I grew up with friends who owned a junkyard and he rebuilt vehicles that were insuranced claimed as totalled, sometimes a truck would just have a crushed roof and a blown out windshield and the insurance would total it because of the possible damage to the A-frame (rollover). I think a lot depends on who fixes it and how well they fix it..be sure to ask for an itemized list of all the repairs..my friend was amazing at fixing vehicles, but you had to pay cash.. I was able to get a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport for less than half book value and it went 280k before I ended up selling it..

The biggest issue with most salvage title vehicles is when you try to sell them. Not sure on the law in your state but here in Maine you must provide a detailed list of all the repairs with receipts from a mechanic before registering it in your name. You only need to do this the very first time you register it...however when you sell it you will need to transfer all those receipts and proof of work to the next owner so they may register it in their name... be sure to check your state laws pertaining to salvage vehicle ownership
Old 05-25-10, 12:36 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for the input fellas. I am leaning off of it due to the high miles I drive to and from work sometimes. Now if it was a beat around and didn't involve my family using it while I am gone, that might be a different story. Unless I can get some more info, it is just a little to shady for me. I reckon if I personally knew the guy, and saw the shape it was in before repairs, I might have a different change of heart. But it is like an equation, just too many variables. Again, thanks for the responses.
Old 05-25-10, 10:47 PM   #9
bamabassman

No bubba!! Do not buy this truck!!!!
Old 05-27-10, 12:01 AM   #10
TN_Bassin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Seq...eature=related Probably the safe choice... Make sure when you do buy a truck this isn't your followup.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.