Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-06, 11:20 AM   #1
TennesseeBassGuides
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Old Hickory and Percy Priest

Information.Old Hickory 6-16-2006
My youngest son Daniel (10yrs) and I met Doug Markham at Old Hickory Lake this morning at 4:30am to shoot an upcoming T.V. show for Doug and Hugh Out Doors. We quickly loaded the boat with all of the fishing and video equipment and headed out in the dark to our first stop. We waited just a few minutes for Doug to have enough light to begin. And to make a long story short we had the show shot by 8:00am and we were done. I've been on a good grass/spinner bait pattern for some time now and today was no exception. In the show we cover the type of grass I'm fishing-types and weights of spinner baits and how I have been approaching these grass beds, and what has been working for me. Doug has some great footage of the white 1/2 ounce white spinner bait coming through the grass and the largemouth nailing it as it reaches the out side edge. Just as soon as Doug gives me the date the show will air I'll post it here on the front page. Hopefully it will be a show that will give you some additional information that will help you not only on Old Hickory but other lakes that have similar brass beds patterns. I've used this technique for years in years on lakes all across the south ands it works extremely well when the largemouth are relating to the grass. Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com
Old Hickory 6-13-2006
One word says it all for today "Better".........Better than yesterday! I fished with Mr. Ken Ballard on Old Hickory today and it is the second time that Ken and I have fished together this year. We spent a cold BUT good day on Tim's Ford together this spring. The funny part of these two trips is that Ken caught a bass on his first cast both times. The first one on Tim's weighed over 5 pounds-today's was smaller but fun none the less. Activity picked up and the fish were right back on the same pattern that I have found them on now for the past few weeks. Bait selection today was an easy one....White Secret Weapon Spinner Bait www.secretweaponlures.com and a Prowler Soft Shad www.prowlerlures.com . These fish were right back to hammering the spinner bait but the Soft Shad had to be worked out of site and a little slower, almost a "Dead Stick" presentation. Best 5 on the digital scales today weighed in at 14 pounds......20 total for the day all released and still swimming. Rick Mcerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com
Old Hickory 6-12-2006
I fished today on Old Hickory lake with Mr. Greg Treadway and Mr. Wade Ward and it turned out to be one of the tougher days that I have had on Old Hickory for a while....Not in numbers, we caught and released a bunch of fish but we had a hard time finding a pattern that was holding several good ones. A couple things about today....#1 At least in the areas that we were fishing there was very little visual shad or fish activity. I know that last year I complained about all the shad and today I'm complaining there wasn't any...I know, never satisfied right? #2 When things get tough on Old Hickory for me, I normally can toss a 4 inch Prowler June Bug Finesse Worm on a jig head and at least scratch out several good fish, but not today. I think I had one (1) hit on the worm. (3) We caught fish in 2 feet of water and 20 feet of water....but still struggled on size. Everything we caught today including the fish that Greg is holding was caught on a white spinner bait, buzz bait and several different crank baits. Greg, Wade and I are going to do it again in July and I'm looking forward to fishing with them again...I'm back on Old Hickory tomorrow (Tuesday) and Friday...I'll let you know how things go on those days......Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com
Percy Priest 6-9-2006
Well folks the "night time bite" is really picking up. Tonight I fished with a prior client, TA from Brentwood Tn. We started around 6pm and fished on into the next morning stopping at 1:30am. We managed to catch over 50 bass with 2 limits in the 15-16 inch range. The moon was out and the fish fed all night. Most fish were caught in 3 to 5 feet of water on a Prowler 10 1/2 in worm and jigs. www.prowlerlures.com TA has learned a lot since our last trip in the Fall of last year on the Cumberland River. TA I had a great trip and look forward to our next. Lip'm and Let'm Loosew. Shay Doming www.tennesseebassguides.com
TennesseeBassGuides is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.