Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-11, 03:46 PM   #1
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Johnny Morris Carbon Black Reel??

Ten years ago as I was getting into retirement bass fishing my daughter gifted me with a Johnny Morris reel and then I went all Shimanos. Contrary to the negative comments on his reels, this has been a great reel for me for the last 10 years, but I maintain it in top shape. BPS is having their trade in program right now and with that reel turned in I can get the Johnny Morris Carbon Black for $90.
Anyone on here own a Carbon Black and can comment on it? Not interested in any brands except Shimano and they are not participating.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 04:06 PM   #2
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dont have a carbon black, but i do own carbonlites witch are almsot the same reel- I love these reels, for the money you would be hard pressed to find a better reel.
But if you are going to BPS look to see if they have any quantum REAX on clearance- you will not get a better reel for $99.00 + reel trade making it 80 or 85. These are 170 reg price.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 07:11 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just purchased a Carbon Black yesterday with a trade in, an old Zebco One spincast reel that was probably 30 years old. I haven't used the CB yet but I lovve my BPS Pro Qualifier reels, and the CB is supposed to be an even better reel than those. I have a lot of faith in what I can expect out of the CB.
Old 02-27-11, 10:40 AM   #4
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

In looking at the data on the reel, it looks like it may be a makeover of last year's JM Signature reel. Identical features.
Old 03-19-11, 01:08 PM   #5
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

I ended up with Pro Qualifier for $65. I am surprised at how smooth it is right now. It took a few casts to figure out the brake and magnetic setting, but it is humming now. It doesn't have the fit and finish of a Shimano, but for $65 it will work. I did take out the spool bearings and cleaned and lubed them with Yellow Rocket fuel.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.