Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-09, 01:40 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Line for spinning reel?

Hey, I fixed up and oldish spinning reel (dawia D shock I think) since I needed one, rather than buying one I just fixed that one. So now that I'm done fixing it and lubing it, I'm ready to put some line on it. it will be for light hard baits, shaky head/drop-shot. It'll be around weedy areas, pilings, and the very occasional brush light to med stained water.......

I'm leaning to some 12lb Yo-Zori Hybrid mono, I don't wanna put flouro on it because of the line memory, I put a leader on if I'm fishing super clear water which I do a every so often.

So, what do you guys think I should put on?

Thay guys!!
Old 04-16-09, 01:44 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Bassboss... have you tried BPS's XPS Fluorocarbon? I have found this to be very manageable. And you could always utilize a line conditioner. I just feel for spinning reels, fluorocarbon gives you such a tremendous edge for finesse presentations, it should be used in lieu of monofilament. I would recommend 8 or 10 lb test, depending on how heavy the cover is. I would favor 8 lb. test if you can get away with it.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 01:45 PM   #3
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

many lines excluding braid have memory to some extent. Looks like you need braid. While memory can be ugly to look at, it does not affect fish fighting performance of the line. I would recommend FC or mono of 8-10# if you can get away with it for the cover you described. If you have to go higher, I think I would prefer a casting rig.
Old 04-16-09, 01:52 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thank Kevin and IB, I may give the XPS flouro a try, I've also heard about it being manageable... I'll look into it!
Old 04-16-09, 02:18 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

yeah im not a fluoro fan and i have never had a problem feeling the fish on some 10lb big game mono.... good luck
Old 04-16-09, 06:08 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've got Trilene XL on one reel and Seaguar 12# fluoro on the other
Old 04-16-09, 06:12 PM   #7
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
yeah im not a fluoro fan and i have never had a problem feeling the fish on some 10lb big game mono.... good luck
Big Game is definitely an awesome mono.

If you decide on FC line, one thing to seriously consider is the limpness of the line you choose. Unfortunately, FC lines are not equal in the limpness department. Some lines are definitely more limp than others. There is no right or wrong, but the limper ones in lighter tests are more suitable on spinning reels than stiffer fc lines.

The limpest fc line I have tried is Sea Guar invizx. I use in in 6# test for my finessing and drop shotting. I have tried Cabela No Viz and and currently testing Cajun FC. I have not tried the stiffer lines, but when you hear horror stories of folks who try FC line for the first time and hate it because "it keeps falling or jumping off of the spool," chances are that they clearly didn't do the research to figure out which FC lines were better suited to their spinning reels. Casting reels won't have this issue of line jumping off whether the line is limp or not. Kind of like you try Mono A and it didn't work out for you so you deem all mono to be junk.

And whatever you choose, do not pick Vanish.
Old 04-16-09, 07:13 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hi Bassboss... have you tried BPS's XPS Fluorocarbon? I have found this to be very manageable. And you could always utilize a line conditioner. I just feel for spinning reels, fluorocarbon gives you such a tremendous edge for finesse presentations, it should be used in lieu of monofilament. I would recommend 8 or 10 lb test, depending on how heavy the cover is. I would favor 8 lb. test if you can get away with it.
Kevin-how does it compare to Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon? I don't use it on a spinning rod, but am curious as to how the 2 compare.

To the original question-take a look at P-line Floroclear. Floro coated mono and handles better than any other line I have tried.
Old 04-16-09, 07:17 PM   #9
keithdog

I'm putting together aan outfit for shaky head fishing and I'm going to try Power Pro in about 15 pound test. It will be extremely limp and a very fine diameter. I started using braid on my spinning reels last year and really liked how it handled. When I do want mono on a spinning reel, I prefer to use a copolymer line. Particularly SilverThread Super.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 08:32 PM   #10
Bassboss

Many thanks to all!

Keith, I look into the co polly; Thanks reb, I give that a look also!

Keep 'em comin' guys!
Old 04-16-09, 08:53 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Honestly, you'll most likely have less problems with 8lb fluoro than 12lb mono on a bass spinning reel. Seaguar InvisX is good. for mono, Stren super knot (which has a bit bigger diameter, which helps with abrasion) or Sufix Elite or Seige.

BB
Old 04-16-09, 10:49 PM   #12
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Kevin-how does it compare to Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon? I don't use it on a spinning rod, but am curious as to how the 2 compare.
I can honestly say there is no comparison between XPS Fluorocarbon and Trilene's 100% Fluorocarbon. Trilene 100% is undeniably inferior to XPS in the spinning reel department, and not even much better with baitcasters. If you go from 100% to XPS, you'll never look back.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 11:57 PM   #13
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
I can honestly say there is no comparison between XPS Fluorocarbon and Trilene's 100% Fluorocarbon. Trilene 100% is undeniably inferior to XPS in the spinning reel department, and not even much better with baitcasters. If you go from 100% to XPS, you'll never look back.
Yeah, the XPS is awesome and is less expensive than most fluoro lines. I'm with Kevin on this, though I have nothing against the Trilene.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 03:52 PM   #14
Bassboss

Thanks guys! I'll get some line this weekend or next, I trying to get a job next saterday, I'll get the line with the cash if I get the job!

With we luck!
Old 04-17-09, 11:49 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:
I'll have to check it out!
Old 04-18-09, 04:34 AM   #16
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My .02...

For slow presentation lures using spin gear...Senkos and derivatives thereof, mostly, or small jigs, grubs, I use as follows:
4" stuff, like unweighted Senkos, Tikis, etc.; Lowrider 5-167 spinning, 2500-size reel, #20 hi-vis Power Pro, #10 or #12 P-line Flouro leader (the actual leader material, not line per se.)
5" stuff; St. Crotch Avid 6'6" MHF spinning, 3000-size reel, #30 braid, #12 or #15 leader as above.
For me strike detection is easier with the spin gear. As well, if you need to really "drive it" into or across a breeze, eliminating the possibility of backlash is a major benefit. Also, line twist is a non-factor when using braid. Conversely, line twist with mono or fluoro is a potential disaster with spinning gear.
Reb will tell you that I get excellent range and accuracy with the above applications.
For most other stuff it's baitcasting gear all the way, including weightless worms cast with the Lowrider 5-167 CASTING model Reb gifted me with, a Chronarch 50MG, #20 braid, leader, etc.
More and more pros, and we common folk as well, are reaping the benefits of good-quality spin gear matched with braid.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-09, 08:21 AM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
My .02...

For slow presentation lures using spin gear...Senkos and derivatives thereof, mostly, or small jigs, grubs, I use as follows:
4" stuff, like unweighted Senkos, Tikis, etc.; Lowrider 5-167 spinning, 2500-size reel, #20 hi-vis Power Pro, #10 or #12 P-line Flouro leader (the actual leader material, not line per se.)
5" stuff; St. Crotch Avid 6'6" MHF spinning, 3000-size reel, #30 braid, #12 or #15 leader as above.
For me strike detection is easier with the spin gear. As well, if you need to really "drive it" into or across a breeze, eliminating the possibility of backlash is a major benefit. Also, line twist is a non-factor when using braid. Conversely, line twist with mono or fluoro is a potential disaster with spinning gear.
Reb will tell you that I get excellent range and accuracy with the above applications.
For most other stuff it's baitcasting gear all the way, including weightless worms cast with the Lowrider 5-167 CASTING model Reb gifted me with, a Chronarch 50MG, #20 braid, leader, etc.
More and more pros, and we common folk as well, are reaping the benefits of good-quality spin gear matched with braid.

L6

Thanks! Sounds allot what I do with my casting gear!
Old 04-19-09, 03:33 PM   #18
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post

To the original question-take a look at P-line Floroclear. Floro coated mono and handles better than any other line I have tried.
Amen reb the p-line floroclear is a great line , or if you wanted to go all fluoro you could with seaguar fluorocarbon and I would def use a line conditioner reel magic or kvd's would do fine .

jim
Old 04-20-09, 03:29 PM   #19
bassnman30

The main "I think" the line spooling off the reel is the amount of line on the reel. Too much.
Old 04-20-09, 06:01 PM   #20
bassboogieman

Regarding the Yo-Zuri, for spinning reels I'd recommend the Hybrid ULTRA SOFT over the regular Hybrid. Less memory, and better managability & use some line conditioner when spooling the reel. 8# would be good, has a breaking strength of about 10# with the diameter of 8#. You will not require a flurocarbon leader with the Ultra Soft either.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 08:26 PM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Regarding the Yo-Zuri, for spinning reels I'd recommend the Hybrid ULTRA SOFT over the regular Hybrid. Less memory, and better managability & use some line conditioner when spooling the reel. 8# would be good, has a breaking strength of about 10# with the diameter of 8#. You will not require a flurocarbon leader with the Ultra Soft either.
Yo-Zuri US have very good abrasion resistance?

Thanks,
Old 04-21-09, 02:59 PM   #22
bassboogieman

Yes. BPS does not carry the U Soft. Cabelas has it via catalog, but not all the stores stock it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.