Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-13, 08:07 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Vegatarian brown eggs

I was getting some eggs at the store today and in the Egg section they had next to the 'organic' brown eggs 'Vegatatarian Brown Eggs'.

Now I vividly remember as a small boy getting eggs from the chicken coop.
Yes I truely thought some of those angry birds were MEAT EATERS but was reassured by my Aunt that they weren't.

So to the best of my knowledge, all chickens are vegatarian.

Now I should state that I eat Jumbo cage raised white eggs.
I'm all for the 'free range birds' but a truly believe that the poor caged bird deserves my money more.

Anyway maybe Madden knows something.
Old 03-04-13, 10:25 PM   #2
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
So to the best of my knowledge, all chickens are vegatarian.
If they eat bugs or insects then they are insectivores but does that make them carnivores?
Old 03-04-13, 10:38 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Truth be told an egg is an egg is an egg. Still contains all 23 amino acids, still has 6 grams of protein (give or take a couple depending on egg size), and has a yolk and white. Yeah a darker yoke has more trace minerals and vitamins, but the nutritional difference between your 8.00/dozen "organic vegetarian eggs", and your 99 cent/dozen kwick trip eggs is marginal at BEST! The macro nutrients are the same.

Anyways, that's my little rant.

It's the same thing with regual salt, and "Celtic sea salt." The later of which claims to be so much more healthy, but in reality, NaCl is still NaCl.

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-05-13 at 12:21 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 10:50 PM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Truth be told an egg is an egg is an egg. Still contains all 23 amino acids, still has 6 grams of protein (give or take a couple depending on egg size), and has a yolk and white. Yeah a darker yoke has more trace minerals and vitamins, but the nutritional difference between your 8.00/dozen "organic vegetarian eggs", and your 99 cent/dozen kwick trip eggs is marginal at BEST!

It's the same thing with regual salt, and "Celtic sea salt." The later of which claims to be so much more healthy, but in reality, NaCl is still NaCl.
Look at the big brain on Brad.

Chickens definitely eat bugs, not sure what that means in respect to being vegetarian though. Insects are definitely not plant matter.
Old 03-04-13, 11:02 PM   #5
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
If they eat bugs or insects then they are insectivores but does that make them carnivores?
Actually I think chickens are omnivores.
So how can you let them free range and not eat bugs, caterpillars, grubs,worms.
Plus if organic, can't use pesticides.

Marketing I guess...

Oh Sam, I use Sea Salt, I think it helps me think more like my prey.
Old 03-04-13, 11:13 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Quote:
Truth be told an egg is an egg is an egg. Still contains all 23 amino acids, still has 6 grams of protein (give or take a couple depending on egg size), and has a yolk and white. Yeah a darker yoke has more trace minerals and vitamins, but the nutritional difference between your 8.00/dozen "organic vegetarian eggs", and your 99 cent/dozen kwick trip eggs is marginal at BEST!

I will disagree with you on that one. Read more here.

-----

As far as Joe's original topic goes...

Organic eggs are laid from hens that may be kept in any kind of caging system, but generally are cage free. They eat an organic feed and don’t receive vaccines or antibiotics. In order to qualify for USDA organic certification, the grains used for the hens’ diets must be produced on land that has been free from the use of toxic and persistent chemical pesticides and fertilizers for at least three years. Genetically engineered crops are not permitted, and hens must be maintained without hormones, antibiotics, and other intrusive drugs.

Vegetarian eggs are laid from hens that are only fed a vegetarian diet -- free from meat or fish by-products. Hens are kept in cages or indoors and do not peck any grubs or worms.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 11:21 PM   #7
Jrob78

I bet those vegetarian hens are miserable.
Old 03-04-13, 11:31 PM   #8
joedog

Dean thanks.
The carton did say ,free range on it.

Check this out.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8081359AAxbTgH
Old 03-04-13, 11:32 PM   #9
bassinbob

Hey bassboss, always someone to burst your egg. Or is it bubble?
Old 03-05-13, 12:18 AM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I will disagree with you on that one. Read more here.

-----

As far as Joe's original topic goes...

Organic eggs are laid from hens that may be kept in any kind of caging system, but generally are cage free. They eat an organic feed and don’t receive vaccines or antibiotics. In order to qualify for USDA organic certification, the grains used for the hens’ diets must be produced on land that has been free from the use of toxic and persistent chemical pesticides and fertilizers for at least three years. Genetically engineered crops are not permitted, and hens must be maintained without hormones, antibiotics, and other intrusive drugs.

Vegetarian eggs are laid from hens that are only fed a vegetarian diet -- free from meat or fish by-products. Hens are kept in cages or indoors and do not peck any grubs or worms.
Ooo! A health debate!

Yes, regular table salt can have added chemicals (which is hard on your liver). But the amounts are very small, and chances are the food you're putting on has considerably higher amounts than the bit of salt you're putting on. Same goes with the Celtic salt one would put on their steak. The steak has WAY more trace minerals than salt you're putting on it. My main point is, is that you're adding such small amounts your food that it makes a exceptionally minute difference in your overall health and vitality. (I'd just like to make clean that I'm no way saying salt is bad for you.)

Just for further proof that salt is in fact salt when you get down to it... Say a high blood pressure patient adds obscene amounts of normal salt to his or her food, and the same amount of celtic salt to their food. The hypertension patient is going to be adversely affected either way. Same goes with someone with congestive heart failure. Weather or not they add normal salt or celtic salt to there food, they're going to retain more fluid around the heart regardless on the source. The salt's gonna do what salt does.

"By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium."

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-05-13 at 11:48 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 12:33 AM   #11
nofearengineer

Screw it...eat all the salt you want.
Old 03-05-13, 12:37 AM   #12
WatterBoy

Quote:
Ooo! A health debate!

Yes, regular table salt can have added chemicals (which is hard on your liver). But the amounts are very small, and chances are the food you're putting on has considerably higher amounts than the bit of salt you're putting on. Same goes with the Celtic salt one way put in there steak. The steak has WAY more trace minerals than salt you're putting on it. My main point is, is that you're adding such small amounts your food that it makes a exceptionally minute difference in your overall health and vitality. (I'd just like to make clean that I'm no way saying salt is bad for you.)

Just for further proof that salt is in fact salt when you get down to it... Say a high blood pressure patient adds obscene amounts of normal salt to his or her food, and the same amount of celtic salt to their food. The hypertension patient is going to be adversely affected either way. Same goes with someone with congestive heart failure. Weather or not they add normal salt or celtic salt to there food, they're going to retain more fluid around the heart regardless on the source. The salt's gonna do what salt does.

"By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium."
Nah, I'm not going to debate you on this, especially when I can't figure out what you're talking about ("Same goes with the Celtic salt one way put in there steak."). You can believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 02:52 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I bet those vegetarian hens are miserable.
If I was a rooster, I wouldn't eat a vegetarian hen
Old 03-05-13, 05:35 PM   #14
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
If I was a rooster, I wouldn't eat a vegetarian hen

Yeah...it doesn't taste like chicken.
Old 03-05-13, 08:41 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Yeah...it doesn't taste like chicken.
LMAO!
What's it smell like?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.