Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-08, 09:04 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jig trailers?

Anybody have a favorite "pig" for the jig? Personally, I use Zoom chunks, Yamamto craws and Strike King 3X. I throw a jig a lot and would like to be a little more diverse. Also, what's your most productive application-- flippin', scootin', hoppin' or swimmin'?

Thanks in advance!

-Pig, Appalachian jig thug
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:18 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Normally I throw ZOOM, especially the Craw Daddy's, but I want to work the Roboworm Kickin' Kraw and ZOOM Super Chunk hard this year.

-Lunk-
Old 03-06-08, 09:20 PM   #3
Cranebird

Peoples choice makes a very nice jig trailer.I use Gene Larew salt craws or Baby paca craws and fish it accordingly to the activity level.C-Bird Hoot
Old 03-06-08, 10:01 PM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I used a Super Chunk Jr. a lot but lately I've been using a Zoom ultra vibe speed craw as a trailer. Works very well! I've been using a black/blue jig with a green pumpkin/purple fleck trailer. In the river I use a baby boo booyah jig with a small Zoom swimming chunk. However they have changed the style of this trailer. Now the legs curl. Before it was a thin trailer with long straight legs. I caught more river bass on the thinner one. I'm ticked that I can't find them anymore!
Old 03-06-08, 10:21 PM   #5
pignjig

All good stuff and appreciated! I forgot to ask-- Do ya'll get more hits on the fall or retrieve? I know it depends on the environment, but, over all, from open water over structure or in the middle of cover, more hits on the fall or retrieve?

As always, thanks-

-Pig
Old 03-06-08, 10:23 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd have to say my absolute favorite jig trailer is the ZOOM Ultravibe. I've got a pack in most of the color and ALWAYS a pack of black and black/blue.

BB
Old 03-06-08, 10:25 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Netbait Paca Chunk and Paca Chunk Sr., then I like the Zoom Super Chunk
Old 03-06-08, 10:26 PM   #8
pignjig

I've had a few guys in my club also mention the ultravibe. What do ya'll believe makes it a good trailer?

-Pig
Old 03-06-08, 10:36 PM   #9
BassAddict

I think the Ultrvibe is good because it's compact and kind of slinder. The action of the "claws" is pretty sweet. It looks different than most other trailers. Could almost consider it a finesse bait. I fish them without the jig too on a t-rig.

I don't fish a jig deep hardly ever but plan to do it more this season. I love to flip a jig in shallow cover. I use a light weight jig most of the time and usually get bit on the initial fall of the bait. Half the time when I go to pick the bait up the fish is there. Maybe 15% of the time I get bit crawling it on the bottom. I mostly fish 3/16 - 5/16 oz. jigs. Rarely anything heavier than that.
Old 03-06-08, 10:56 PM   #10
senko

I like Netbait Baby Paca Craws...
Old 03-06-08, 11:07 PM   #11
keithdog

I mainly use the Netbait baby Paca Craws, but I think I'm interrested in trying the new Strike King Rage Chunk.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 02:25 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

zoom little critter craws, chomper or zoom twin tail grubs, zoom baby brush hogs, baby paca craws, powercraws, and chigger craws are what i use. except in cold water i will use pork.
Old 03-07-08, 07:54 AM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Zoom chunks, for sure.

To answer the other questions I get most my hits on the fall, and with the Zoom chunk I hop and scoot it mostly.

For swimming a jig I use the remainder of brush hogs after the hooks have ripped through the noses. It works awesomely. I wouldn't share that tip with anyone but you guys.
Old 03-07-08, 10:07 AM   #14
Deacon

For the past couple of years I really got into the jig. It has caught me more fish and much better quality than any other lure on a consistant basis. I have tried every trailer under the sun and found that there is only 2......

1.The paca craws(color- green pumkin, watermelon red, and a few colors that work here in Norcal

2. Reaction innovation Doublewide/sweet beavers. A bait that none of you mentioned. Colors are Hemmotoma(for muddy), California 420(dont giggle) Big texan. These have been proven to be killer trailers for my uses!!

As wise man once said.....

Nuff Said!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 10:32 AM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

I'll stick with my Uncle Josh. To me there is not a tuffer trailer
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 10:35 AM   #16
basstech

Am I the only angler left that uses pork? Primarily the #11, #1, and #10, in black, black/blue, and brown. Also the same colors in the zoom chunk equivelants (except the black/blue, I use the Black/blue fleck as a sub.) Also white.
Just curious, I don't keep up on a lot of stuff and don't fish a jig a ton anyway, what is "scootin' "? Would that be the same as dragging across the bottom 1" at a time with long pauses every 6" to a foot?
Old 03-07-08, 10:45 AM   #17
Lilmoosecountry

No your not!!! But hey i'm old school. I don't change what works for me.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 10:56 AM   #18
3dkicker

Zoom super chunk jr for most jigs and the mini's for the Bitsy Bug jigs.

KidLizard Huffer, Musclecraw and Minicraw chunks are all hand poured and can be done in custom colors.
Old 03-07-08, 11:48 AM   #19
pignjig

My friends, all this excellent input is why this board is so good. I appreciate everybody taking the question seriously enough to share your thoughts! I've got a tournament this weekend (wind permitting) and I plan on throwing a jig or 12. Hey, Pat K- That's a great idea about the baby brush hogs. I've used them, too, and you're right- They do work right well!

Thanks, ya'll!

-Pig
Old 03-07-08, 12:24 PM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
Am I the only angler left that uses pork? Primarily the #11, #1, and #10, in black, black/blue, and brown. Also the same colors in the zoom chunk equivelants (except the black/blue, I use the Black/blue fleck as a sub.) Also white.
Just curious, I don't keep up on a lot of stuff and don't fish a jig a ton anyway, what is "scootin' "? Would that be the same as dragging across the bottom 1" at a time with long pauses every 6" to a foot?
I've always got fresh jars in the boat, especially when the water temps are cold. Now-a-days the soft plastics are so improved and impregnated that it almost eliminates the need for the pork. I still use the #11 Red and black during the summer night-time bassin' with a black and red single colorado spinner bait (1/2 to 3/4 oz) slow rolling on the deeper humps and points.
Old 03-07-08, 07:15 PM   #21
zooker

Quote:
Just curious, I don't keep up on a lot of stuff and don't fish a jig a ton anyway, what is "scootin' "?

skippin the jig under docks or struture also called "skidding" or "scooting" i lernt how wid da frog you can do it with a jig also..

i use zoom ultra vibe chunks favorite colors are green pumkin and water melon seed..

zooker
Old 03-07-08, 08:34 PM   #22
Cranebird

Quote:
what is "scootin' "?
Well you might have to ask the creator of this thread but in my opinion scootin is a football jighead and long limber rod cast it out and sweep the rod until the football head snags up .Increase the pressure until the jig pops free and drop the rod tip so the jig falls back to the bottom and repeat all of the way back to the boat.When the jig pops free it looks like a crayfish scootin along bottom. C-Bird types
Old 03-07-08, 08:58 PM   #23
Fish2win

I use Uncle Josh a;ll the time uin the winter and a great deal of the time at night. I believe the natural feel makes them hold it longer and deeper. Pig aka pork ? Fish2win
Old 03-09-08, 01:09 PM   #24
pignjig

C-Bird's idea of scootin' was what I was refering to. Most times times the hit comes right after shaking the jig free. The skippin' that Zook refered to is pretty deadly on VA waters. Many a water dragon will hole up in shallow water way back under the shade of a dock.

Thanks to all yall.

-Pig
Old 03-09-08, 02:38 PM   #25
Rebbasser

Zoom chunks, Yum chunks, Paca Craws, brush hogs, twin tail trailers-I run the gamut. Below 50 degree water-which isn't often in South Texas-good old Uncle Josh. I'm old school there, too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.