Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-08, 05:00 PM   #1
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flukes

I want to try them next year but it will be my first time and as imagined have many questions, so here it goes
where do you fish them
how
how do you rig them[i wanted to try them onjigheads with blades]
what time
Thanks for any and all answers
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 05:08 PM   #2
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here are some good threads on flukes -

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ghlight=flukes
Double Zulu fluke setup
How do I rig a fluke?
How do I fish a fluke?

These are thread on Bassfishin.com. Many of them go into great depth. I have added to some since I love fishin the fluke. It is so versatile.

I have yet to try them on jigs or with a blade but I am sure they can work like that. A jig head would make it look like it is feeding off the bottom. I guess when using a blade, you can rig it like a road runner with the blade beneath the fluke.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 05:17 PM   #3
cassidyta

When I put them on a jig head, I always wacky rig them through the top or side. By wacky rigging, it forces the bait to sit of the bottom more. Through the side to give them a wounded fish look or through the top to make it look like a healthy bait fish. When I jig with them, I will twitch a little then make a quick upward motion with the rod. Forcing the bait to jump high of the bottom and settle slowly back down to another feeding location
Old 12-17-08, 06:08 PM   #4
jig fisherman

one idea I had was to use them on Sworming Hornet Lures Slingblade Flutter Jigheads[ found on bass pro, sorry don't know how to insert links] and cast them to weed beds and any other structure and jerking them back, letting it sink in between jerks
Old 12-17-08, 08:02 PM   #5
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My favorite way to fish a Fluke is weightless on a 3/0 EWG hook, or if I want to work it just under the surface I'll use a nail weight. I've tried nose hooking it using a 1/0 Gami Drop Shot hook, but the Fluke seems to like to flip over belly side up. As for when and where, for me it's over weeds and through gak. I work the Fluke with slow jerks then a pause to imitate a dieing or wounded fish.

I've never really thought about using a Fluke on the bottom or on a drop shot as there are just so many better options.
Old 12-17-08, 09:19 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i mainly either throw them on a carolina rig or fish them weightless but i am going to start using them on a sworming hornet or sling blade type jighead this coming year on table rock because i am sure that they will be killer on some of those giant table rock kentuckies. also if you can find a marina that has a tire reef out in front of it to block waves, this tire reef is a great place to throw a fluke because those tires will have algea growing on them and baitfish will flock to those tires and we all know that if you find baitfish then bass aren't too far away.
Old 12-17-08, 10:34 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like to fish them weightless during spring or on a Lightly weighted hook. Just hook it like you would a T-rig and fish like a Rogue, X-rap, Husky jerk, etc.

BB
Old 12-18-08, 07:50 AM   #8
Bill@SOBLures
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's a neat way to rig a fluke to prevent the bait from slding down on the hook while casting or fishing through cover....

Start by inserting the hook point through the nose of the fluke, then set it aside for a moment....take a small barrel swivel and thread your line through one of the eyes on the swivel.....leave a fairly long tag end on your line. Take the other eye on the swivel and run the hook point through it and snug it up against the "chin" of the fluke. Now pull back on your tag line enough to tie the line to the hook.

Last, insert the hook into the fluke as you normally would to make it weedless.

There ya' go...you're ready to fish it now. You can use a heavier (larger) ball bearing swivel if you want more weight at the front of the fluke...it will cast better and sit nose down on the bottom...you just may want to size down the split rings though.

GL&GF,
Bill@SOBLures
Bill@SOBLures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 03:44 AM   #9
Tennessee

Default Here is the way I like to fish flukes

I prefer them on spinning reels seems to throw and work (action) better for me. I also carry an assortment of color dips to change the tails or the whole fluke. I also use weights hooks sometimes..

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 03:38 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
I prefer them on spinning reels seems to throw and work (action) better for me. I also carry an assortment of color dips to change the tails or the whole fluke. I also use weights hooks sometimes..

Later Will
I use the yellow garlic scent made by Spike It. It adds the garlic scent and colors the tail chartreuse.
Old 12-30-08, 08:20 PM   #11
abu4600

I rig mine texas style with a small swivel about 10" above the lure, this helps with line twist and also adds a little extra weight for casting.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 10:42 PM   #12
Bass Fishin Machine
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I like to fish them weightless during spring or on a Lightly weighted hook. Just hook it like you would a T-rig and fish like a Rogue, X-rap, Husky jerk, etc.

BB
That`s how I prefer to use them,especially after the post spawn when all the Fry are Scurring around trying not to get eaten... I will toss a Fluke near the Fry and twitch it a few times and maybe skip it across the Top of the water like it is Fleeing a Bigger Fish,then all of a sudden Bam it`s on! B.F.M.
Bass Fishin Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 01:26 AM   #13
Fishnngolfn

My favorite way to fish the fluke this past summer was to dart it back and forth on top of the water or about 2 inches just below the surface. Big top water hits. I had to make sure to wait a second before setting the hook. Since the tails were spiked, the fish would hold on to it for a while. Sometimes I would let the fish swim about 10 to 20 feet before setting the hook at times just to have some fun. Then I would let the drag out to practice working the fish to shore.
Old 12-31-08, 05:00 PM   #14
bamabassman

i guess i wasn't using them correctly. gave all mine away. might try em again now.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 05:43 PM   #15
ihnclb22
BassFishin.Com Member

jig fisherman...hehehe...srry...but r those the things that u taught me how to do a texas rig on, and if they r...we shuld try them up at the lake...i have a great place in mind...o and by the way...happy new year everyone!!!!
Old 12-31-08, 07:23 PM   #16
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2

I read all I could get my hands on about flukes and nothing.
I have the spinich (a color I like more than anything...he. he.), pink in zoom and bass in bassasassin with the twitch'n tail. Although I haven't c-rigged one I haven't found a way, a season or anything that has helped me become successful with it..
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 07:28 PM   #17
Fishnngolfn

I only fish the 6" pearl white super fluke, pearl white w/ chartreuse tail super fluke, or silver super fluke jr. I had some super flukes in bass color but they never did produce for me. The pearl white have always produced for me.
Old 12-31-08, 07:29 PM   #18
Jim80

I always get more pickerel and the likes when I fish a fluke .

Jim
Old 12-31-08, 07:55 PM   #19
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by usngsm2 View Post
I read all I could get my hands on about flukes and nothing.
I have the spinich (a color I like more than anything...he. he.), pink in zoom and bass in bassasassin with the twitch'n tail. Although I haven't c-rigged one I haven't found a way, a season or anything that has helped me become successful with it..
My favorite colors are Pearl/white and Baby Bass.Both are basically white on the bottom, and that's what the Bass see. I'm also assuming that you're using the Super Fluke that is 6 inches long.

A ML spinning setup spooled with 6 or 8 lb flouro, copoly, or mono is what most people use except for me. I'm spooled up with 10 lb Sufix Braid and a 4-5 ft 8 lb test mono leader. No weight. Cast it over and past your targeted area, usually weeds almost up to the surface towards the shoreline s a good place to start. Now work the Fluke back towards the boat with small jerks and the rod tip pointed at the fluke. In between each small jerk let the fluke just start to sink. If you can see the weeds, let it sink to the top of the weeds. Then another small jerk. Ticking the weeds is a major part of the presentation. If there are any active Bass there, they will come up and eat the Fluke.

The other thing to realize is that this is a finesse presentation, it's not like fishing a hard jerkbait. You also have to willing to spend the time to find active Bass. There is no magic. It takes time and effort to build up confidence in any presentation.
Old 12-31-08, 09:01 PM   #20
Fishnngolfn

I use a 6'6" MH rod with a spinning reel spooled with 30 lb orange Suffix braid with a 4' 15 lb CFX fluoro leader. I texpose a 3/0 exg gammy hook. Next year I am going to try the double zulu rig setup.
Old 12-31-08, 09:19 PM   #21
jig fisherman

I was planning on buying some jerkbait hooks and flukes and using them on #8 mono on a medium power spinning rod so it seems like that setup will work.
Joel:sounds like that would work in a lot of the lakes I fish so thanks for the idea,I never would have thought about using one that way.
Old 12-31-08, 09:40 PM   #22
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I use a 6'6" MH rod with a spinning reel spooled with 30 lb orange Suffix braid with a 4' 15 lb CFX fluoro leader. I texpose a 3/0 exg gammy hook. Next year I am going to try the double zulu rig setup.
That's a pretty beefy setup for Finesse fishing. have you ever tried going with just a M rod and down sizing your braid and leader?

If you down sized your hook to a #1 Drop Shot hook, then you could just nose hook it or hook it just through the bottom of the nose then work it our the front. As Kevin said, that would give the Fluke less side to side play on the hook.
Old 12-31-08, 09:44 PM   #23
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig fisherman View Post
I was planning on buying some jerkbait hooks and flukes and using them on #8 mono on a medium power spinning rod so it seems like that setup will work.
Joel:sounds like that would work in a lot of the lakes I fish so thanks for the idea,I never would have thought about using one that way.
If you're not working a Fluke over weeds or cover close to the surface, then where do you use them? Basically a soft Fluke is a combination of a topwater bait, coupling the sinking action of a unweighted stickbait.

I've also tried them on a drop shot rig without having any really good results. Maybe that's because a Fluke doesn't float like a finesse worm does.
Old 12-31-08, 10:01 PM   #24
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
That's a pretty beefy setup for Finesse fishing. have you ever tried going with just a M rod and down sizing your braid and leader?

If you down sized your hook to a #1 Drop Shot hook, then you could just nose hook it or hook it just through the bottom of the nose then work it our the front. As Kevin said, that would give the Fluke less side to side play on the hook.
Yes it is a beefy setup but it seems to work for me. This setup also allows me to switch to large worms and modified crig setups without having to retie hooks.

I do nose hook a "fluke" plastic. I have a smaller setup that I use for my banjo minnow plastics. I use a 1/0 circle hook that is "nose hooked" through the plastic eye piece of the minnow.
Old 01-01-09, 02:04 PM   #25
jig fisherman

I was just going to cast them to shore and slowly twitch them back over rocks or next to weed beds

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.