Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-10, 05:03 PM   #1
JohnnyG
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Pre-fishing?

I just wanted to know if you can pre fish to much? I have been pre fishing for a tourn for the past 2-3 weeks going out at least 6 days. I have been doing well 10-12lb best five all over the lake. And next thing I know it's game time I can't stick a fish I get 2 fish 2.5lb total. I am starting to think that I may have over fished the lake. Is this possible, I never stuck more than one fish in an area while pre fishing. The winning weight for the tourn. was 9.5lb and that has been the winning weight at a number of tourn's on this lake. I just don't understand What do you guys think?
JohnnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 05:22 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

YES DEFINITLEY, once you find solid fish pre fishing I would move from there or just pull the bait from the fish's mouth, then move to a different spot looking for more fish. Did you try different colors of the same bait you were fishing, that has changed a bad day into a good one for me more than a few times. Also being overconfident going into a tourney can change the way you are fishing without you realizing it.

Also how was the weather? that could have changed the behavior of the fish.
Old 01-02-10, 08:22 PM   #3
JohnnyG
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
YES DEFINITLEY, once you find solid fish pre fishing I would move from there or just pull the bait from the fish's mouth, then move to a different spot looking for more fish. Did you try different colors of the same bait you were fishing, that has changed a bad day into a good one for me more than a few times. Also being overconfident going into a tourney can change the way you are fishing without you realizing it.

Also how was the weather? that could have changed the behavior of the fish.
Thanks for the reply. Yes during pre fish I only stuck one fish just to check size per spot. I did try diffrent colors and size as far as weather it was the same. I'm just so deflated right now. To top it off during the tournament I stuck a 5+ lb fish that broke me off at the boat I know it would have won big fish and that's how my day went it sucked.
Old 01-02-10, 09:14 PM   #4
TN_Bassin

That's how these types of things go. I have had those types of days where nothing seems to work, you just have to suck it up and keep on fishing. Nothing compares to losing a fish that you know would have won you some money. It is by far one of the most depressing things about this sport, but again if you got one quality fish to bite you could probably get another one to bite if you just keep at it.

Even the most famous pro has bad days believe it or not.
Old 01-02-10, 09:49 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Pre-fishing for me is more about just locating a few groups of sizable fish, usually I will spend my pre-fish days getting to know the lake and pinpoint the areas that will hold the best chances of catching fish...I try to shake off as many fish as I can so I don't sting too many, I will only usually pre-fish for a couple days and hope that the weather doesn't change too much, because that can be the biggest variable when you go back on tourney day.
Old 01-02-10, 11:06 PM   #6
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't know if this is the case, but sometimes the weather being the same can make a fisherman think that the bass will be on the same pattern when quite the opposite will be true. I was at a local reservoir for five days last may. A big cold front came in the first day and the temp dropped from high seventies to low fifties and stayed there for the remainder of the trip. When the cold front first came in the fish were absolutely killing a jig. As the trip went on the water temp continually dropped and the fishing followed the temps. By the end of the trip I could only catch fish on a shaky head or a wacky senko just crawled across the bottom. This may not be the case, but just an example of constant weather that dramatically changed fish behavior.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 12:03 AM   #7
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Johnny,
That's a very good question. From what you've described, I do not think you pre-fished too much. If you did not stick a bunch of fish, then I don't think you pre-fished too much. You can never know too much about a lake and the more you fish a lake, the more you learn.

I am a firm believer that you should not overly show the fish the baits you're going to fish in the tournament. But if you only stuck one or two then you're OK there.

One of the things you have to understand in a tournament situation is that in practice, you have things pretty much to yourself and catching a big stringer is going to be alot easier than when other good anglers get on the water and compete for the same spots you're fishing.

I think you just had a bad day. Keep up the pre-fishing. It'll pay off. Common sense tells you that, doesn't it? I mean, really, if you're not sticking a bunch of fish, which you're not, then the knowledge you're gaining has to be an advantage.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 12:37 AM   #8
BassBandit

You should look up KVD's article. Worth a read! His article make entire sense. Lemme see if I can find it then post it if you want.

Last edited by BassBandit; 01-03-10 at 01:37 AM.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 11:26 AM   #9
Jigger

One other thing I would add though is that you must not get locked into a mindset that just because you caught them one way during practice necessarily means they'll bite the same way during the tournament. You've got to be able to make on-the-water adjustments during the tournament. Pre-fishing just gives you a place to start. I try to keep an open mind and make on the water adjustments if my pre-fishing game plan isn't working. It's just a matter of knowing when to hold 'em and knowing when to fold 'em which is as much art as it is science and gut instinct which is uncertain at best.
Old 01-03-10, 08:22 PM   #10
BassBandit

Here's the article I was referring to. Three pages with the links below per page to see Part 2 & 3

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/b...KVD_Edge_Part1

That should cover every questions you have.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 05:49 PM   #11
3dkicker

You really should be asking what changed between practice and the tournament? Did you adjust for the changes? Did you make any adjustments while on the water when you realized that the fish you had been catching weren't biting? When did you realize that things had changed? Did you have back up patterns or techniques planned in case there was a weather or water conditon change?

I've had tournaments that I'd prefished, found plenty of good fish, and then on tournament day have the pattern or patterns blow up and come up empty. It's how you adjust or adapt that makes the difference between getting a check and not. And when it does happen then experience is your friend in the situation.
Old 01-05-10, 12:42 AM   #12
JohnnyG
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey I just want to thank you all for all the encouragement and tips. I have taken this to heart and I know that I just need to adjust my game plan and be ready for anything that mother nature gives me. Thanks once again and tight lines all.
Old 01-05-10, 03:35 PM   #13
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

Angry Bad news at the weigh-in

We had it wrapped up. My watch was showing 1:30 with the weigh-in at 2. One of our competitors approached us asking if we needed help to the ramp. I replied , no thanks just waiting on 2 o'clock so we can take home the cash and a big trophy. To our surprise, my watch had stopped and the time was really 3 o'clock. As we got to the ramp, just in time to weigh our fish before they took the scales away, we found out we had them covered by more than a pound. They had sent someone to help us. We would have won by more than a pound had we been on time. $1,100.00 and 2 NICE trophies slipped away from us. Needless to say, it was a long , quiet ride home. By the way, the watch is still at the bottom of Lake Arbuckle, as far from the ramp as I could throw it. One more small note. That win would have moved us into 3rd spot in the points race. Instead we finished in 6th. ONE SPOT OUT OF THE POINTS MONEY, TAMPA PRO BASS BLACK JACKETS, AND A COUPLE OF NICE WALL PLAQUES. Oh well, stuff like that just don't bother me.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 02:56 PM   #14
OrygunBasser

Prefishing a lake that you know is about worthless especially in the springtime. Spending time on a body of water that you have never fished is worth it's weight in gold but mostly just to check out structure and chanels spending time with your electronics!

JMHO!
Old 01-07-10, 07:32 PM   #15
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
Prefishing a lake that you know is about worthless especially in the springtime.

JMHO!
I disagree---completely. I fish lakes I know as well as my living room and they NEVER fish the same, even if you fish them at the same time of year under same or similar conditions. I can make that statement as an absolute even though there are supposedly no absolutes in fishing. And that goes for any lake I've ever fished and for any species of fish I've ever fished for. Nothing remains the same. There's always something new going on that you've got to figure out whether it's a depth change, structure change, lure change, change in the timeing of the bite, etc, etc, etc, and the beat goes on and on and on.........
Old 01-07-10, 08:19 PM   #16
flipit
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
I just wanted to know if you can pre fish to much? I have been pre fishing for a tourn for the past 2-3 weeks going out at least 6 days. I have been doing well 10-12lb best five all over the lake. And next thing I know it's game time I can't stick a fish I get 2 fish 2.5lb total. I am starting to think that I may have over fished the lake. Is this possible, I never stuck more than one fish in an area while pre fishing. The winning weight for the tourn. was 9.5lb and that has been the winning weight at a number of tourn's on this lake. I just don't understand What do you guys think?

This sounds exactly like McClure. Tourney days are a bit tougher then during the week. More traffic, more pressure. I dont prefish during the week for my weekend tourney. If you go for 2-3 weeks prior you have an idea of what the fish are doing. Then factor in the added pressure, (either slow down or speed up). If it is McClure I like to have 4-5 spots where I can get multiple fish, then rotate em over and over throughout the day.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 01:32 PM   #17
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I disagree---completely. I fish lakes I know as well as my living room and they NEVER fish the same, even if you fish them at the same time of year under same or similar conditions. I can make that statement as an absolute even though there are supposedly no absolutes in fishing. And that goes for any lake I've ever fished and for any species of fish I've ever fished for. Nothing remains the same. There's always something new going on that you've got to figure out whether it's a depth change, structure change, lure change, change in the timeing of the bite, etc, etc, etc, and the beat goes on and on and on.........
That's basically what I ment in that durring the week that is off limits everything will likely change anyway! I don't think the pattern I put together the week before ever held up the next week!
Old 01-08-10, 06:50 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Johnny, I am always impressed with some of the great answers that come out on this forum! What you ask is also a really great question. Good Job!
Personally, I do not prefish the week going into the tournament, especially the last couple of days before the event. If it is my local lake, there may be an exception during the summer because we fish night tournaments on almost every evening of the week!
Normally, when I do prefish I look to accomplish two things. First and foremost is eliminate as much unproductive water as possible given the season and lake familiarity. You want to be able make the shortest run to the most efficient water you can find. Secondly I try to locate the greatest population of fish (on structure), or the best possible pattern with regard to specific cover that I can. By determining those two things as close as the weekend before, you should be able to make adjustments if there are weather changes or lake level changes. You will have to sore mouth a few fish in the process, although a lot guys "shake the fish off" I've never really seen them do that. After a week, the fish population will recover! lol
It sounds like what happened to you is, you let the situation get the better of you (bummed you out) and you never made any adjustments. Your fish were probably still there or very close and you didn't make any changes. The best pros will tell you that they either backed off to a little deeper water or maybe they went shallower, in most cases they stayed in the same areas they had confidence in and made those adjustments.
Old 01-08-10, 10:38 PM   #19
JohnnyG
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the input our tournament is coming up next weekend Im going up this weekend to see if anything has changed and try a few new spots that I have never fished. It is a clear water lake water temp is 52-54 I have been catching good fish shallow but can't seem to get any good fish early in the mourning I have to wait till the water warms up then beat the bank. I have tried d-shot 3" worms and jigs in creek chanels but to no luck. What am I missing?
?
Old 01-08-10, 10:59 PM   #20
Jigger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
First and foremost is eliminate as much unproductive water as possible given the season and lake familiarity.
This is a really great answer and a really great reason to pre-fish----eliminate the unproductive water.
Old 01-09-10, 12:31 PM   #21
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
Thanks for all the input our tournament is coming up next weekend Im going up this weekend to see if anything has changed and try a few new spots that I have never fished. It is a clear water lake water temp is 52-54 I have been catching good fish shallow but can't seem to get any good fish early in the mourning I have to wait till the water warms up then beat the bank. I have tried d-shot 3" worms and jigs in creek chanels but to no luck. What am I missing?
?
What happens if the sun doesn't come out and the water doesn't warm up? You have a back up? Do you have some stained water near where you'll be fishing? Do you have a deeper area that the fish are holding on before they move up? Are they actually moving up or are they just on an mid morning or afternoon feeding pattern? Just a few things I'd think about when pre-fishing.

For those who don't prefish or don't think it's important I'll give you an example from my experience last year. In the spring the Major and I found bass on points feeding. For about 3 weeks the big bass were stacked on the points. Then they were gone. I captained a youth tournament and we struggled until we went skinny in the back of a cove. We found good fish. The Major and I went out and prefished for the next tournament and found the fish in similar areas. People who hit the points struggled and we came in with good sacks. We knew the fish had transitioned and we caught fish. Experience and time on the water was the key. No time was wasted searching for fish that weren't there.
Old 01-09-10, 06:19 PM   #22
Bob Smith

52 to 54 degrees is a good temperature. How clear is the lake and what kinds of depths and structure does it have? Are there rocks and bluffs, a well defined river channel (maybe some current), or is there grass and gently sloping banks, maybe some timber? What is clear water to you; 4-5', 20' to 25'? Where were the fish the last time you caught them? Shallow with really deep water nearby, maybe midway back in the creeks, or on the main lake points?
You need to provide a little more information for a better answer. Right now on the little bit you are providing I would suggest Bandit crankbaits in something like PB & J, or root beer/chartreuse, something like that. What I like to do is by the same color in the 100, 200 and 300 series. If I am fairly confident about my color, but don't know the depth then I start shallow with the 100. If that don't work I throw the 200 series and then the 300 series until I start getting bit. If I catch several fish in exactly the same spot, I may switch over to a shakey head or a jig and start combing the spot a little more thoroughly.
Old 01-10-10, 11:22 AM   #23
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Experience and time on the water was the key. No time was wasted searching for fish that weren't there.
Sounds good to me.

Rick Clunn had a little piece on TV yesterday about "fishing in the moment" or something like that. He talked about Budda and Zen and how you have to detach yourself from the past and fish the current conditions or the moment you're in. He also talked about how you often make better decisions the first time you fish a lake because you have no pre-conceived notions about what the fish will do or where they will be and therefore you are more open minded. He makes a great point but if one were new to the sport you might have left thinking "well, what's the use in pre-fishing----I'll just do the Zen thing and fish in the moment without any pre-conceived baggage to weigh me down which, to me, would be a huge mistake. I think you have to take Clunn's advice about fishing the moment and not get too committed to what worked yesterday and marry that advice with what you learned pre-fishing and then Grasshopper, if you can do that, you just may win the tournament.
Old 01-10-10, 11:34 AM   #24
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think you're right Jigger. I think a combination of the two seems the most reasonable.

I would add that repeating Saturday what worked on Thursday and Friday isn't really "fishing memories" the way repeating what worked last month or last year is.
Old 01-10-10, 11:40 AM   #25
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I think you're right Jigger. I think a combination of the two seems the most reasonable.

I would add that repeating Saturday what worked on Thursday and Friday isn't really "fishing memories" the way repeating what worked last month or last year is.
Agree. So, is this the formula: Experience + current knowledge + flexibility = SUCCESS?

Or, create your own formula. I'd like to see it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.