Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-05, 07:52 PM   #1
NewGuyPete
BassFishin.Com Member

Question New to Fishing Bass

Please help!
I want to fish for Bass, I would appreciate some direction. What is the best bait to use,what about type of line should I use? I have a med.action rod. Is that Ok or is there a different rod I should use?. I live in Spotswood, New Jersey if that means anything.
I watch other fishermen to see what they are using but can't get a straight answer to the ones I have mentioned here.
I want to learn, I have no one to ask...so I am open to suggestions as to what I should use.
Help a new guy out, please
Thanks,
Peter
NewGuyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 08:09 PM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off, I am from Jersey too! IM from Hunterdon. Anyways, dont use live bait, It takes the fun out of fishing for bass, Bass are so aggressive, they will hit just about anything! For starters, I would pick up some Tiki Stiks in Watermelon Red-Flake. These baits are to be rigged weightless on a 3/0 hook. Cast em out let em sit, and slowly drag it back to the boat, pausing every 3 seconds and waiting 30 in beetween each move.
Old 07-16-05, 08:17 PM   #3
Marty

The reason you didn't get straight answers is because there are no answers. There's no "best" bait and there are many lines out there, but no one line is right for everyone. Do some reading. Take a look at the articles on this and other sites to learn some of the basics. Read forum archives. Then maybe you will have some more specific questions which many here will be more than happy to answer.

Good luck.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 08:18 PM   #4
PowerBass

www.bassdozer.com has great articles!!!
Old 07-16-05, 08:29 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

And by saying theres no best, we are not trying to be difficult. Its flat out, undeniably true and accepted, and if anyone tells you otherwise they are a liar.

I will say that senkos are a very good lure, as are spinnerbaits, jigs, topwaters, crankbaits and plastic worms. The secret to becoming a good fisherman is learning all of these baits and being able to know when to use which one. Its as varied as baseball, chess or playing the violin - you need many skills to catch bass consistantly.

But since you are a beginer, and you have to start somewhere - you might as well learn by throwing one of the aboved mentioned baits.
Old 07-16-05, 08:36 PM   #6
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

like Marty said..there is no "best" bait or "best" line..but there are things that most think are better than the rest..when i first started bass fishing i ALWAYS used a spinnerlure..anywhere from 3/8-4 1/2 oz is what i perfer and i usually get them so they are bleeding(strike king) you can get them right from wal-mart for about $2.50-$3.50 dollars(depending on size)...anyway these spinnerbaits are used by alot of pro anglers but make a very good beginner lure and there is almost no hook setting involved but every now and then some...what i first did to get used to the feel of reeling a spinner was i made sure no matter how far it went i could see it but tried to make sure it never came out of water..once i got used to that i can go deeper and feel safe about it because i got used to the feel..but now that i have been working with spinners so long, the past few years i have been experimenting and Plastic worms are also a great bait to get used to..i like em around 5 inches...when it comes to line..personally in MY OPINION i think nothing beats Stren..and i always get original clear blue(or almost always get)...and if you plan on fishing a spinner i would go to heavy test...on spinners i use about 8-10 lbs( around 6 dollars) test and it works like a charm, but if you are gonna be fishing worms or creature bait, and you fish in alot of weeds,rock, lilly's, etc. i would go to bigger test..but i normally don't go any higher than 15 lbs test.

hope this helps and good luck fishing.
Old 07-16-05, 08:43 PM   #7
PowerBass

Well as for rods/reels I prefer baitcasting now I like the benefit of heavy line. I use 8-15lb test either trilene xl,xt or big game. All preform flawlessly. For rods- Fenwick and The Quantum Rods. Lures worms or cranks!!
Old 07-16-05, 09:39 PM   #8
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Since your new to bass fishing I think what probably is the best begginer lure is a plastic worm rigged weightless.............. There easy to use and they catch fish
Old 07-16-05, 10:00 PM   #9
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Im still learning here and the biggest thing for bass fishing that I have learned is KNOWLEDGE! But from my begginning experience I would recommmend getting a wide variety of soft plastics! The type I have found the easiest to use would be senko type baits but dont go with that brand use Tiki stiks! Get a few packs of 2/0 or 3/0 hooks and a pack of 1/16 bullet weights help in my opinion with making a loud splash for those reaction strikes! But welcome to the forum and theres tons to learn! And remember like I said before the biggest most important thing to bass fishing is KNOWLEDGE!
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-05, 10:03 PM   #10
PowerBass

Knowledge and Having FUN
Old 07-16-05, 10:29 PM   #11
zooker

have to agree with dyas on this one. a t-rigged plastic worm is hands down the best beginner lure. it is quite diffacult to hang up.-thats diffacult not imposible-they are fairly cheap. say 10 bucks and you can get a full rig set up-hooks,weights,worms-though it does tend to snowball into a room filled with tackle of every sort,shape and a rainbow of colors. not to mention the tackle in 1 room of your house is worth more than your entire house.

ok raise right hand and repeat after me
i -your name- am pleadging to be a bassaholic. the smell of fish shall linger around my house like a stinky pair of gym socks. the very sight of a bass pro catalog shall turn my bait monkey in to a raging beast. if i have the choice of mowing the grass or fishing i will be fishing!! if i am at work and vision's of the lake fill my head. i know that i am not alone. if i see a picture of a bikini clad woman lying on the dock and the only thought that goes through my head is"i wonder if there is a fish under that dock" i know i am becoming a fisherman. i swear to call a 12" bass a 2 pounder.so help me god or kevin vandam-which ever you prescribe to-

now put your hand down you look goofy enough now.
welcome brother.

zooker
Old 07-16-05, 10:47 PM   #12
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

As far as colors go I like to use Tequila Sunrise, Redshad, Cotton Candy, And watermelon seed colors.................. I would pick up some Redshad and some Junebug colors because they catch fish in any water clarity........ There are many brands of worms out there but the ones I have had the most luck with are ZOOM and Culprit worms......... Wave Worm tiki sticks are also very good lures and they tend to catch fish for me in almost any situation.................... Good luck and catch a biggen'
Old 07-16-05, 11:27 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum, Pete!

Here is a great site for someone getting started:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/beginner.html

As the other guys said, there is no "best" as such, but there are baits that work better than others depending on the conditions. If you have specific questions, ask away! Remember, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
Old 07-17-05, 02:37 AM   #14
NewGuyPete
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thank you all!!!

Thanks so much. When I joined earlier today I was hoping that I might get at least one reply to my questions. I sat here scrolling down the list one after another, with one big smile on my face. I went back to the top and started writting down some of the tips you all sent.
If it wasn't 2:20 in the morning I would get in my wrangler and go shopping right now. Leave a note on my pillow..."Gone Shoppin". I can't wait to get out there tomorrow.
zooker I tookl the pledge... again thanks to you all. You will be hearing from me
Peter.
Old 07-17-05, 05:43 AM   #15
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Pete, Welcome to the site, if you cannot find the answers to your specific question, Instant message me and I will see id I can find sme sort of answer for you or steer you in the direction of another person who can help you. P N J
Old 07-17-05, 08:52 AM   #16
zooker

please note pete. old pnj/justin case has steered many a person wrong.

zooker
Old 07-17-05, 08:14 PM   #17
NewGuyPete
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the heads up on that one. I will keep that in mind.
Peter
Old 07-17-05, 08:19 PM   #18
JB

Default Whats up with the senko/tikki stick bite?

Ya know,

when I first tried these agonizing slow falling plastics and got bit all the time,
I thought I had hit a gold mine,
The last 2 weeks the fish wont touch them wacky rigged.
I haven't thrown them texas style, I guess I should be,
but doesn't theory dictate they can't stand a slow falling bait on these
dog days of summer?

anyone else getting them on the wacky rig?
All they want up here right now is a fast falling ribbon tail worn,
I like that anytime, no complaints on wormin'
I threw a watermelon / black pepper 4 inch tube today texas rigged for a change and got my first dinkie 13.5 incher.
Switched to the worm and did better
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 08:38 PM   #19
Bass_fishing_girl

Send a message via Yahoo to Bass_fishing_girl
Default Welcome

Hey, Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here.

Sandra

Give us this day our daily limit :D
Bass_fishing_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 08:49 PM   #20
NewGuyPete
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the heads up on that one. I will keep that in mind.
Peter

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.