Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-09, 11:41 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Fishfinder Maps...

Since I'm going to be buying new electronics for my boat in the Spring, I'm trying to do my research on the units. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going with the Lowrance HDS system, in some flavor.

However, as far as the map chips go, I'm still guessing.

The three main mapping options I am considering are:

Lake Insight Basemap (+$60 over regular basemap...includes some Fishing HotSpots info)
Fishing HotSpots® PRO ($109...IN/KY not on same chip)
Navionics HotMaps Platinum ($150...3D shading on maps, satellite overlay)

To be honest, 99% of my fishing will be done in the Indiana/Kentucky area, with the obvious Tennessee-Dale Hollow trip thrown in. I am leaning towards the Lake Insight Basemap, but quality of the maps is the most important thing here.

Have any of you guys used these chips and what are your thoughts on them?
Old 12-24-09, 03:43 PM   #2
zooker

go with the navionics hot maps.. yep it's high end but it really has the best lake/topo read outs..
the insight base map has told me i was in the dirt 200 yards away from the actual bank..the base map is just that a basic map of the lake with a few topo readings..

not that topo maps mean much. but they have certain features that are best to look at..ie sumerged roads,old bridges, stump fields,ect..mind you topo readings are done at "full pond" but if the lake is either drawn down or flooded -as ky was- all your topo measurements go out the window...

zooker
Old 12-24-09, 03:53 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Thanks, Zook.

I've always wondered how the chart topo readings dealt with current pool. Maybe they already have this, but wouldn't it make sense that if your fishfinder has a GPS in it, it should know your elevation, and automatically adjust the topo depth numbers? It seems that would be better than having to keep mentally saying "okay, the topo says 40 feet deep, but I know we're 5 feet below pool, so it's really only 35 feet deep" every time you look at it.

Now I just have to decide if I want to pony up the extra for an HDS-8.
Old 12-24-09, 04:32 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

also, try to pick up the navionics software to use on your pc..this lets you transfer waypoints, make notes and preview lakes before you set out to fish. I would suggest trying an older version of navionics if you want to save yourself some dough...before you splurg be sure to check the differences between the years, sometimes these is very little difference...for instance, I bought the 07 gold card because the 08 was almost identical for the states that i fish in and saved myself about 50 bucks
Old 12-24-09, 09:03 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Thanks, Jason...I did see a good deal on the correct HotMaps platinum for my area today ( 2007 Chart 10...$75), but obviously, it was just too soon to pull the trigger. I'm hopeful I will get just as good a deal when the time comes. I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay and Craigslist. Good point on the PC software.
Old 12-25-09, 01:04 AM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use Navionics Gold, don't have an HD unit but the Navionics is good for me. Tried the "Hot Spots" on an earlier unit and they are OK, but all the HOT SPOTS are well know community spots so I don't put a lot of importance on that. Electronics, in conjunction with a couple of good paper charts are what I use. It's easier for me study a paper chart(s) and transfer waypoints into the GPS, and I prefer to try and locate MY "hot spots" rather than rely on general community points of interest.
Not a bad idea to look for a chip a year or two old, unless a lake you fish a lot has been added in those couple of years. Most of the lakes on a regional chip, I will never be on, so I'd rather save a few bucks.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 05:52 PM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know if the Insight maps are different than the base maps on the older Lowrance units but that was pretty good for most lakes. Like Zooker said, it was off on some of them. I've been using HotMaps Premium for a couple years and got Platinum 09 last year. That was a waste of money for me since 99% of it was the same as Premium and I only fished on one lake with the 3D maps. If I was always on a lake with 3D coverage I might consider the extra $.

As far as bathymetric charts being inaccurate due to changing lake levels I know HB has added a feature this year that allows you to offset the contour lines. If you are in a spot that says 18' on the map and your sonar reads 20' you can adjust the map +2' and all of the contours change. Seems pretty handy to me. There is a video showing this somewhere but I can't find it right now. I'm not sure if the HDS units do this or not.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 10:50 AM   #8
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't know if they offer a lake master pro for your area or not but if they do get that, especially if you have a good graph, because it offers depth and contour lines also most of lakes are in 3d if capable, I love mine and I live in Michigan.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 01:52 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Twi,

To my knowledge, LakeMaster are only for the Great Lakes. It makes sense that they would have a set devoted just to them. I think I've pretty much decided on the Navionics HotMaps Platinum.
Old 12-28-09, 02:27 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Nofear,
I have the hotmaps premium in my Hbird side imaging unit and I absolutley love it. Very reliable for what it is. You didn't ask for opinions on this but I bought my side imaging unit before Lowarance came out with the HDS and if I had to do it all over again I would still go the Humminbird route. Their customer service is 100% better than Lowrance. I have had several issues with Lowrance and their customer service and was never pleased, in fact I swore I would never buy another product from them. I had the transducer of the Humminbird go bad and I called them and told them I was in a big hurry because I had a tournament that weekend and needed to be on the water. The next day I had the transducer in my hand and there was no charge, they even sent me a note wishing me luck in the tournament. If you go the Lowrance route remember the name Linda Colt, she is the best customer service person Lowrance has and chances are if you get anywhere with them it will be through her. I heard that she was recovering from some kind of health issues or something along those lines but I don't know anything about it or how true that is.
Old 12-28-09, 02:53 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Thanks, Kory.

You're definitely with the consensus about Lowrance's customer service. I do hear terrible things about them. I also hear that Humminbird is a really nice unit, but that Lowrance's interface is a bit better. Obviously, I haven't written the check yet, but at this point I'm probably still headed for a Lowrance. Close race though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.