Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-10, 05:57 PM   #1
dbltap
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Video Bass Boat Crash. Learn from this folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

A bass boat is not a jet ski!! One lucky boater.

Last edited by dbltap; 01-01-10 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Spelling/Title addition
dbltap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 11:57 PM   #2
Reel Deal
BassFishin.Com Member

Stuff happens when one goofs off. No reason for that type of boat operation.
Reel Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 12:12 AM   #3
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That goes to show tourney fishermen who have a shotgun start. Be careful about the waves of the other boats. A person I know wrecked his Allison going 90+ turning into a wave. There were broken arms, collarbones, and ribs involved. People can be seriously injured or killed because of careless driving. If someone had been in the passenger seat there they would have almost certainly been killed by the impact. Water isn't too pliable at those speeds.

In Tennessee now, anyone born after 1989 has to be certified to operate a boat or other motor driven vessels on the water. I got my license 2 years ago.
Old 01-02-10, 12:51 AM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
In Tennessee now, anyone born after 1989 has to be certified to operate a boat or other motor driven vessels on the water. I got my license 2 years ago.
I'm certainly not an advocate of big government, but you know....if it's reasonable to make a license required to drive an automobile, it only makes sense for powerboats. It wouldn't eliminate all idiots out there, but it might get rid of a few.
Old 01-02-10, 01:27 AM   #5
TN_Bassin

The law isn't enforced too much right now but more and more people are fined each year.
Old 01-02-10, 01:34 AM   #6
Abbeysdad

Yep this ones been around awhile now - fella was clearly barely in control at those speeds on flat water and when he crossed the wake of the other boat, he got in trouble real fast.
I understand it was a new boat....perhaps a new operator as well?! Without the kill switch, he could have lost the boat, or worse, had it go round and round him as he laid unconscious in the water, unable to play dodge 'em.

Still, even if yer not 'showing off' yer new boat, it makes good sense to always hook the kill switch lanyard to your vest when your moving at any real speed. I put a ring on my vest to make hooking easier.
Old 01-02-10, 01:37 AM   #7
keithdog

Now that right there would be a good video for every first time boat buyer to watch!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 07:34 AM   #8
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm certainly not an advocate of big government, but you know....if it's reasonable to make a license required to drive an automobile, it only makes sense for powerboats. It wouldn't eliminate all idiots out there, but it might get rid of a few.
Natural selection might too....
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 11:05 AM   #9
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This driver doesn't seem to be very experienced with this rig...and who goes into a wake at that angle...not a good idea, especially at those speeds
Old 01-02-10, 01:09 PM   #10
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Amazing how fast common sense seems to lapse when the camera is rolling. Guy is lucky that the console or steering wheel didn't cave his head in.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 02:58 AM   #11
Embrey

i believe a hot foot would have maybe helped also,along with some sense...lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 03:10 AM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
i believe a hot foot would have maybe helped also,along with some sense...lol
I would be willing to bet that the boat had a Hot Foot on it. I think where he made his biggest mistake was not trimming down at all before he crossed the wakes. If you drive a fast boat long enough even the best drivers have those Oh my God moments, had a few myself. But you always have to be expecting those moments before they happen otherwise you will be too late to react and find yourself in a lot more danger.
Old 01-03-10, 03:23 AM   #13
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
This driver doesn't seem to be very experienced with this rig.
Doesn't have to be experienced boater. Just a plain idiots!

What gets me is that the boaters that drive like a manic doesn't drive like they do on highway or should I think they do...

Not long ago, in tournament other club the guy with 200 hp cut me off, I mean I was on plane 150 hp at WOT and out of no where the guy to my right came from behind just show up and prowl right in front of me and cross my lane about 20 yards and caused a big wave that I had to slow down or else I would have end up like in the video!!!
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 05:10 AM   #14
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post

Not long ago, in tournament other club the guy with 200 hp cut me off, I mean I was on plane 150 hp at WOT and out of no where the guy to my right came from behind just show up and prowl right in front of me and cross my lane about 20 yards and caused a big wave that I had to slow down or else I would have end up like in the video!!!
Yea I know how you feel. A boat crash is a lot more deadly than most car crashes, and people should take that into consideration before doing bonehead manueavors like that.
Old 01-03-10, 11:32 AM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Pretty scary video. Convenient though. If you're gonna wet your pants, might as well do it just before landing in the lake
Old 01-03-10, 12:12 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
Bandit,

A guy did that to me on my very first day out in my boat! I thought I was going to wreck. I hadn't had to cross any wakes yet, and the guy was forcing the issue on me. He could have just as easily crossed behind me, but then I'm sure he didn't like crossing wakes...so he let me have to do it instead. I would have liked to kill that guy...if I could have caught him.
Old 01-03-10, 12:47 PM   #17
BeaverIslander

On a lighter note, here's a few more "accidents." My favorite was at 1:10.

http://www.boatingbay.com/videos/vid...accidents.html
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 12:56 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
On a lighter note, here's a few more "accidents." My favorite was at 1:10.

http://www.boatingbay.com/videos/vid...accidents.html

LMAO! Too funny. Bet the one guy can't have kids again
Old 01-03-10, 08:55 PM   #19
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I would be willing to bet that the boat had a Hot Foot on it. I think where he made his biggest mistake was not trimming down at all before he crossed the wakes. If you drive a fast boat long enough even the best drivers have those Oh my God moments, had a few myself. But you always have to be expecting those moments before they happen otherwise you will be too late to react and find yourself in a lot more danger.
i definately agree with the trim part as well...that makes a HUGE difference on a decently powered boat
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 11:45 PM   #20
cassidyta

Even the most experienced boaters can have an accident. Don't just count on your common sense and experience. Make sure to wear your PDF and use your kill switch.
I am sure many of us remember when Dobyn's flew out of his boat.

http://flw.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=148095
Old 01-05-10, 12:44 AM   #21
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
..... I think where he made his biggest mistake was not trimming down at all before he crossed the wakes.
This is interesting - new to boating this past season, when approaching a wake or rough water, I have backed off on the throttle to bring the boat off plane so the bow comes down to cut threw. Trimming down would seem to do the same thing but would seem slower than backing off on the throttle.
Is trimming down a better way?
Old 01-05-10, 10:38 AM   #22
Bender

I think trimming down and backing off a bit works the best. It gets the bow down and cuts the wake rather than hopping over it on the pad. You really need to get a good angle too so that you ride over it rather than bang it but that is not always possible.

My partner was driving my boat in a tournament on Saint Clair a couple years ago and hit a boat wake that neither of us saw until the last second. It wasn't pretty, when the boat came down and finally stopped we were pretty much sideways, key was thrown from ignition and bent from his knee hitting it, bow sonar died, and stuff was all over the place. I don't ever want to do that again but sometimes it is really hard to see boat wakes when you are navigating from the GPS, watching gauges, getting through boat traffic, staying in the channel, etc.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 12:50 PM   #23
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
This is interesting - new to boating this past season, when approaching a wake or rough water, I have backed off on the throttle to bring the boat off plane so the bow comes down to cut threw. Trimming down would seem to do the same thing but would seem slower than backing off on the throttle.
Is trimming down a better way?
There is no need to come off plane when crossing wakes. Trimming down and slowing down a bit should be good enough for most wakes you will encounter. Sometimes you don't even have to trim down or slow down, some waves you can handle wide open but you really need to pay attention to the size of waves and the angle you are going to thit them.
Old 01-05-10, 03:06 PM   #24
Abbeysdad

Good deal - next time I hit some rough water I'll remember to throttle back AND trim down some and see how it plays out.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-10, 04:44 PM   #25
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Good deal - next time I hit some rough water I'll remember to throttle back AND trim down some and see how it plays out.
Thanks.
As long as you use some common sense you will be fine. The bigger the waves the more you will need to slow down obviously but as you get some seat time you will learn how hard you can hit waves depending on size. As long as the waves are from other bass boats I generally don't slow down at all and usually won't trim down either as long as I see them early enough to turn into them at the right angle.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.