Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-10, 03:29 AM   #1
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to CanalStalkin
Default Shakey head question.

Hey guys, I recently bought a finesse setup and really want to start fishing the shakey head. I was originally going to get the megastrike shake2's, but after hearing a few people saying they weren't "all that" I'd like to know another good shakey head to grab. So what are all of you guys usin?
CanalStalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 08:15 AM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Spot Remover by Buckeye Lures is what I generally use for a shaky head.
Old 01-11-10, 08:30 AM   #3
Bob Smith

There are about as many answer and preferences to this questions as there are members on this forum! lol! My personal is the Gambler "Giggy head" I use the 3/16 oz for the most part.
Old 01-11-10, 09:14 AM   #4
rrw4258

I fish the Buckeye Lures Spot Remover and the Spot Remover Pro Model. Always been happy with them and never found a reasone to change. I also fish a 3.5" Beaver on these heads when the fish quit hitting a worm.

Ryan
Old 01-11-10, 09:39 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The spot remover isn't bad, but the main two I use are the Owner shakey heads with their twist lock pin and Strike King's tour Grade shakey head.

I like the owners for a lot of worms because their spring keeper has the centering pin, which makes getting the baits on a whole lot easier than a normal spring keeper.

I mostly use the SK Tour grades for SK elaztech finesse worms, because they won't go on the spring keepers. I like the elaztech worms for shakey head fishing because I can catch a ton of fish on one before it rips and because they float.

BB
Old 01-11-10, 10:04 AM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use buckeye spot removers. They are the only ones I've ever Tried and I haunt had a reason to switch.
Old 01-11-10, 10:06 AM   #7
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been using the Strike King shakey heads. I recently bought some of Gamakatsu's skip gap shakey heads and will be trying those out in the spring. My only complaint about the gammy's before even using them is they don't have black, only green and brown.
Old 01-11-10, 11:22 AM   #8
Jrob78

Lots of Spot Remover guys here! I've used the Spot Remover several times but had problems with it falling over with bigger baits. I don't like the completely flat base. I also don't like the post version but they do make one with a screw, the Pro I think, I just haven't tried that one. Anyway, my favorite shakey head is by far the Picasso Shakedown Jig head. Multiple colors and sizes and a titanium spring and Gamakatsu hooks.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ICASS-PSD.html
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 01:01 PM   #9
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

I recently heard about guys fishing the sweet beaver on shaky heads. I love the beaver but have never fished it outside a t-rig or trailer. What size shaky head are you using? (I noticed rrw4258 mentioned this earlier)
AMC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 01:08 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
I recently heard about guys fishing the sweet beaver on shaky heads. I love the beaver but have never fished it outside a t-rig or trailer. What size shaky head are you using? (I noticed rrw4258 mentioned this earlier)
I really like using these for bigger plastics like beavers and craws. I like using the 1/4 or 3/8 oz, power finesse fishing

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ICASS-PSF.html
Old 01-11-10, 02:51 PM   #11
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC23 View Post
I only throw three sizes of shaky heads, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4. For the beavers most of the time it is the Spot Remover Pro Model 1/4 oz. (Spring style). This has been an awesome rig for me around here, I use it in place of a jig around docks, gives them a different look...

Ryan
Old 01-11-10, 03:50 PM   #12
AMC23
BassFishin.Com Member

I really like this shaky head idea. I especially like the buckeye model with the flat jig head... however, i have read some reviews that guys are having problems with the jig head rolling on them. Anyone had this problem? I fish the 4" and the 5" sweet beaver the most so I think I will have to step up to the 3/8 picasso and the 1/2 oz. Or go and buy some of the smaller beavers and then buy the buckeye.... bait monkey and cold weather kill me....
AMC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 05:55 PM   #13
CanalStalkin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to CanalStalkin

Thanks for the responses guys. I knew there would be alot of different answers. The reason I asked though, is because I noticed the megastrike ones had that "Fulcrum" head. I didnt know if it was THAT much better than just a normal round head.
CanalStalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 11:26 PM   #14
danielbasspro

I use the Spot Remover as recommended on here
Old 01-11-10, 11:55 PM   #15
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Picasso for me, but there are lots of good ones, for the money I really like the bagley ones, but they don't have a spring style keeper, which I have went to.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 09:13 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The spot remover isn't bad, but the main two I use are the Owner shakey heads with their twist lock pin and Strike King's tour Grade shakey head.

I like the owners for a lot of worms because their spring keeper has the centering pin, which makes getting the baits on a whole lot easier than a normal spring keeper.

I mostly use the SK Tour grades for SK elaztech finesse worms, because they won't go on the spring keepers. I like the elaztech worms for shakey head fishing because I can catch a ton of fish on one before it rips and because they float.

BB
Sounds exactly like what I've been throwing bigB!

Them SK elaztech worm are great, I've used two since I've got them in December, probably caught 20 or so fish on one!
Old 01-14-10, 10:21 AM   #17
finesseman2
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the ikey head lower profile anddoesnt fall over..also the chompers version is pretty good as well
finesseman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 09:06 AM   #18
aikenyounggun

I use the spot remover and have caught countless fish on it. I believe its the best their is out there. I like to throw a normal zoom trick or finesse worm. You don't have to re-invent the wheel.
Old 01-15-10, 11:07 AM   #19
Bender

Wow, those Picassos are $$$. I pour my own but they are pretty much the same. If there are weeds I use round and no weeds football. I tried the Spot Removers but in the weeds they got hung up a lot.

Have any of you used rattles on them like these? http://lipstickerlures.com/kmr_013.htm
I never have but I'm used to fishing clear water.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 11:48 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Another spot remover fan here. They have a flat bottom to help the worm stand up off the bottom.
Old 01-21-10, 07:30 AM   #21
basstech

Uhm have a little confusion here I hope someone here can clear up. Based on everything I've read A shakey head jig is one that has it's line tie at a 60 degree angle to the hook shank, making that particular head a little more versatile, for like vertical jigging, swimming or just hopping/crawling across the bottom. Originally I bought Spot Removers thinking those were shaky head but looking at it closely, it appears to be just a stand up jig head and the line tie is at 90 degrees. I like the Spot removers but have had a problem with them standing up(going to try them with the elaztech worms this year) and they seem pretty limited in their use, are they really considered a "shakey head" jig?
Old 01-21-10, 08:29 AM   #22
Bob Smith

Basstech, you do your research well and you are probably right. However in the world of bassfishing all is not so "cut and dried" once a technique has been around for a while. What started out as a conventional ball head jig being used with a straight tailed worm and literally shook in one place with little or no other movement (how the shakey head was born) has evolved into myriad jighead styles and multiple worm shapes, as well as a number of presentations (from shaking to swimming). All dubbed shakey head as a general catch all description.
Old 01-21-10, 09:47 AM   #23
BigBassin144

basstech, I thought I'd let you know this right now if you're going to try the elaztech worms. They most likely won't work on the spot removers. The material they are made out of won't stay on the little pin. If you're using a jighead with a spring, they may stay, but it's awefully difficult to get them on far enough. That is why I have switched to the Strike King Tour Grade Shaky head when I fish the elaztech worms.

BB
Old 01-21-10, 10:58 AM   #24
Jrob78

There was an article in the January issue of Bassin magazine that said if you're using anything larger than a 3/16 oz jighead you are not going to get the "shaking" action you are looking for and might as well be using something else. The Pro referenced in the article, Jeff Kriet, recommended 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigheads to get the proper action.
Old 01-21-10, 11:05 AM   #25
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
There was an article in the January issue of Bassin magazine that said if you're using anything larger than a 3/16 oz jighead you are not going to get the "shaking" action you are looking for and might as well be using something else. The Pro referenced in the article, Jeff Kriet, recommended 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigheads to get the proper action.
Very interesting, I never knew that. Very rarely do I use anything heavier than 1/8 oz, so I'm good.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.