Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-09, 07:01 PM   #1
knot289
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Baitcaster virgin.

Okay guys sorry to start yet another thread on the (dreaded) baitcaster, however while poking around the other threads I really couldn't answer everything I need.

Here is the deal. I've been using a spin wheel since I was around 4. 21 years later I buy my first Baitcaster on pressure from friends. So the first time I go out I cast a few times no problem, right around the 10-15 yard distance with no problem. Now I didn't buy a baitcaster so I can cast at a distance less then half of what I do with my spinning wheel. So I try a harder cast and yeah you guys know what happened. This birds nest may have been the godfather of all. Kevin's unique thumb trick not only did not work, it actually slit my finger,lol.

So here we go. I've tried once again today to try and learn a little more, now I can't get the darn thing to cast 5 yards with out it going crazy. I've worked the nob on the side (don't know the specific name) to slow down the baites free fall. It leaves the eye and hits the ground in about 3 secs. Which I was told was good. I need help guys.

Tell me why I should keep this darn thing and not throw it away. Looking back on the time when you were a rookie to the baistcaster walk me threw this darn thing. Should I give up? Is it really worth it?

Side note I did find out about the internal breaking system. I.E you pull out 3-4 when your new to help the spool from not going so fast. I pulled out all 6. Is this smart? How many should I do if any at all. I will wait to see what you all say before I venture out to try and tackle this evil of plastic and metal one more time. I have gone from a full spool of line down to maybe 50-100 yards. I don't want to waste much more, lol.

Help me guys, please!

Last edited by knot289; 01-06-09 at 07:11 PM.
knot289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 07:24 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the world of the Bird's nesting reels.

The key is having both knobs adjusted properly. The smaller one controls your rate of decent based off of friction. The rate of fall is important, but you also want the spool to not go crazy when the bait touches the water or the floor (during practice) I would suggest that you crank that know down to the point that your bait does not fall at all. Then give it some adjustment to allow the bait to fall slowly.

Now, onto casting. The key is feathering. Meaning using your thump to brush against the spool while the bait is in the air.
The best way I learned to work feathering was to add a 2 oz weight and hold your rod at a 45 degree angle. As the weight lowers, use your thumb to control the decent. You will find that in the begining there will be times that you flat out stop it and times where you hear the loud thud and start to backlash. As you practice, you will find that you can let it go and get closer to the floor each time.

I have never removed the breaking systems, so I will have to allow someone else to speak to that part.

I will say that it is worth it to learn the bait caster. Your baits will not roll as often as they do on a spinning reel. Additionally, you will find greater distance as you master the casting.
Old 01-06-09, 07:24 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I thought the same thing when I started baitcasting. First off, what reel do you have? Magnetic or Centrifugal brake? if you don't know, that's OK, I'll go over both.

OK, first, the spool tension knob (the one you didn't know the name of). I was originally taught 5 second from tip to ground with the rod held at a 45* angle. Then I was later taught (mostly by the guys on here) to have the bait not fall when you disengage the reel, but to slowly fall with a little encouragement from shaking the rod tip. This has seemed to work better for me.

The next step is the brake. If you have a centrifugal brake (the one where you have to oppen the reel up to change it) then open it up and have a look. You should see six "pins" with either little plastic covers on them or 6 little switch like things. Remember (I was also tought this wrong by the dude at Cabela's) When the pin is pushed IN, the brake is off. When the pin is out, that brake is on. How I remember this is, "I fish OFTEN" when you say Often it sounds like Off and In. Good tricks. (that's whoever said that! ) remember when dealing with centrifugal brakes the brakes that are on must be symmetrical or it won't work correctly. So if you turn brake 1 on, the brake opposit have to be on. So you can have 0, 2, 4, or 6 on. (you can also use three but it's a bit complicated) I'd start with 4 or 6 and work your way down.

Magnetic brake: This normally has a dial on the side of the reel (opposite the handle). It will either go from Max to Min or 10 to 0. I'd start with it 75-90% on. And again, work your way down from there.

Your thumb: the most important part of learning a baitcaster. It's alright if you don't cast far at first. I'm sure you didn't with a spinning reel either. Always keep control of the spool with your thumb, even if the brakes have it completely under control. If you don't (like I did (stupid guy from Cabela's)), you'll have a harder time and practically have to relearn later. Most of the brake son my reels are down to about 30-50% depending on condition.

One thing I can't stress enough (besides the thumb thing) is to ALWAYS ALWAYS, especially when learning, turn your brake up during windy conditions. If you don't you'll find yourself dealing with the probably too fimiliar backlash.

Good luck, and remember I've been baitcasting for over a season know and I can still cast farther with my spinning rod/reel. But I still prefer to use a baitcaster for 95% of my fishing.

BB
Old 01-06-09, 07:57 PM   #4
bamabassman

only thing i can add is.....DON'T GET MAD!!! take a break, and try, try till you get it buddy. you can do this....i promise. take your time.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 08:52 PM   #5
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

when you cast, be smooth, dont whip the bait across the water, and make it land softly

ryan
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 08:52 PM   #6
bcklash

once you figure out baitcasting 101, you'll love it. As Bama said stay patient and practice.
Old 01-06-09, 09:02 PM   #7
bamabassman

also remember this...you'll ALWAYS have a backlash. even after you learn it, ok? i have been using one for over 20 years, STILL birdnest at least 100 times an outing, HAHAHAHAHA.
Old 01-06-09, 09:50 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Talking

"How I remember this is, "I fish OFTEN" when you say Often it sounds like Off and In. Good tricks. (that's whoever said that! )"

BB, yes the OFTEN (off = in) is a good memory trick for the centrifugal brake system. I can't take credit for much, but that is a memory device that I came up with and then posted on this board (I wanna' get props for something)
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 09:54 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Don't get frustrated. In time, you will be able to cast with your new reel in your sleep. Once you learn, you will wonder why you waited so long to start using a baitcaster. Also, your spinning gear will get substantially less use.
Old 01-07-09, 06:25 PM   #10
The Doc

You'll be surprised that flinging the bait will cause you a lot of pain. Just gently flick it. You will get just as much distance with a softer cast as you would with a spinning reel when flingin it hard
Old 01-08-09, 05:31 AM   #11
knot289
BassFishin.Com Member

I just wanted to thank all of you trying to help me. Your words of encouragement really means alot. As an Adult dealing with adult a.d.d aswell a not so great temper its hard to except not being good at something right off the bat. I mean I drive a 12000 pound peice of equipment at work that I taught myself in less then 10 mins, but so far cant even cast a fishing rod,lol. It dosent help that my fishing buddys live around an hour away so I'm doing this off of youtube videos and hear say. But I'm going to keep at it.

Once again thank you guys very much. I'm really happy that I found this webpage. And from the looks of it, it was just in time.
Old 01-08-09, 08:51 AM   #12
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey knot289.
The only thing I can add that these guys have not covered is do not try to cast light lures.
Start with something heavier ( like 1/2 or 5/8 oz ).
It will make it a little easier to learn.
I got my first baitcaster this year and like you, had lots of problems.
After each fishing trip, it came home in a body bag.
I am finally getting pretty good with it.
just keep practicing.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 10:12 AM   #13
Basscrazie

Practice alot and you will get it.Start with easy soft short cast's and move up.Your gonna love the baitcaster.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:53 PM   #14
Jim80

Thumb, thumb, thumb, it will save you a ton of headaches , try to adjust your spool friction so when you are holding the rod at an angle from the ground the line does not backlash when the bait hits . that will help to start . as far as casting it is more about loading the rod rather than whipping the bait let the rod do the work for you , your shoulders will thank ya later in life .

Jim
Old 01-09-09, 12:35 AM   #15
barkelypup

I learned when I was about 12 (now 33). Saved my money and bought a new Diawa xp somthing to another. Anyway, I tightened the spool tension knob up as tight as I could and put me a couple of lug nuts on it and started slinging. (this was after I went through about a whole spool of the cheap shakepear line on it.) Just keep slinging that thing you will get it.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 01:12 AM   #16
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

Baitcasters can be one of the most frustrating things you will ever use but once you get the hang of it, they are great! I would also agree that you will always have birds nest at some point. Wait till you cast it into the wind!
I always back off 2 of my internal brakes. It really depends on what I am doing though as far as the other adjustments go. If I am flipping and pitching, I really like for the (jig) to pretty much free fall. If I am casting a Carolina Rig, I set it up different. Just experiment, use your thumb to feather the cast and as someone else has already mentioned, PRACTICE.
You will like it more and more each time.
I bought my first baitcaster the night before a tournament for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Boy was that a disaster. I think I used it twice that day before I sat a big wad of line that used to look like a reel in the bottom of the boat. But after practicing a bit it was great.
Good luck.
Old 01-09-09, 10:24 AM   #17
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

Learning to use a baitcaster is like learning to ride a bike. It looks easy when someone else is doing it. It seems impossible when you try it. But when you learn it you cant believe how easy it really is. Keep with it, you will love it. I rarely use my spin reels anymore.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 10:28 AM   #18
Wishing2BFishing

Showda,

Yes, it is very much like learning to ride a bike. Perhaps the tension knob and brake settings are the training wheels???
Old 01-10-09, 09:35 AM   #19
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't no about everyone else.But for me learning with braid helped me.I can get birds nest out really easy.When I tried with mono had to cut off.And make sure you practice with your thumb.Timing is important.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 01:35 PM   #20
cassidyta

I think that the braid gives you more of an ability to just tug and pull the knot out where as mono will break in some of the same situations.
Old 01-10-09, 03:34 PM   #21
bamabassman

try kevins techinique on getting out ALL birdnests. it works!!!
Old 01-20-09, 08:35 PM   #22
aikenyounggun

just try to stay calm and forget about the fishing part for a hor and go down to your pond with a spinnerbait or something that isnt finesse and not to light and throw it for an hour. use your thumb and keep it tight at first. HAVE FUN.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.