Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-09, 10:02 PM   #1
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Catfish??

I know this is a Bass Fishing site but was wanting to know if it is advisable to use your Bass equipment for catfish and if not what do you all suggest using for catfish?
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 10:13 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Go to Waly World and get you an ugly stck and a cheap casting reel and some heavy line and you'll be fine.
Old 01-11-09, 10:17 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

baits are easy fer da kittyfish. take a pair of old nylons, cut it up, wrap some chicken liver in it, hook it and throw it in da water. or wally world has some good baits fer sale. hotdogs do good too.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 10:37 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We've got aq dozen or so 5-7lb cats in our pond, and my favorite way to fish for 'em is to throw a handle of floating fish food. Followed bya few pieces of bread. 5' UL spinning set up w/ 4-6lb test and a 3/0 Kahle hook (barb removed). Put a piece of bread on the hook and wait till one of those big wisker heads gets it in his mouth and let the fight begin. we catch them and throw them back, so after about 20 of them, the line is so tangled, I have to change it.

For serious catfishing, like bcklash said, get a cheap ugly stik and casting reel 15-20lb mono should do it for line, and some big circle, treble or Kahle hooks. Anything that stinks will work for bait, moldy cheese you got laying around in the fridge, hot dogs, chicken liver, minnows, pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth.

BB
Old 01-11-09, 11:23 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

your bass tackle should handle most cats. it will struggle with some of the bigger ones. Last summer we were in the Florida Keys and found ourselves in a school of dolphin. After getting bored using the Deep Sea rigs, I baited up my bass rig and started catching dolphin with it. It was awsome seeing those fish jump 6 feet outta the water. Now if you are in an area where the cats commonly grow big, over 10-15 pounds, you might want a bigger setup.
Old 01-12-09, 01:24 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

I use the $19.99 7 1/2 foot Ugly stick (Ugly Cat) from Academy. You can actually find this rod anywhere. I respooled it with 30 lb line. I use a 1/0 circle hook about 12 inches up from a weight. I also have a 3/0 ewg hook 12 inches up from the circle hook. I use turkey livers since they are tougher and stay on the hook during those big casts. I never use my bass rod and reels since you can get a good cat rod for $20.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 05:20 PM   #7
Buckeyefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Catfish will hit just about anything. I caught a large one near Lake Erie on a crappie jig fishing for crappie. My son caught a 10 lb cat on a crankbait fishing for bass and we've
caught several bass fishing at night on spinners. They won't hit regulaly on these baits but
on occassion they will hit them. Stick to the baits recommended by the other guys if you want numbers.
Buckeyefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 09:01 AM   #8
knot289
BassFishin.Com Member

If you were to use your Bass gear at my pond you would have your heart and gear broken. If your fishing for 4-8 pound cats then your fine. If you hook on to one 15 pound or more, your in some real trouble.

I hooked into one last year that took me for a ride. The reel that I was using was older there for the drag was no longer optional. I got nailed. And when I mean nailed, I really cant describe it. Anywho. After fighting it for about 2 mins, this sucker started to take my line out. The drag that had not worked in 3-5 years was now going into overdrive. I locked the line up and my hand to god the reel started to tear away from the rod. The fish was actually pulling the reel off of the rod. I lossed that sucker about 4 mins later, However when I brought my line back in it wasnt snapped. Nore were my sinkers or hook gone. This sob had actually straighten outto almost a perfect line a 6/0 eagle claw hook. I wrapped a shirt around my hand and tried to get the drag to work myself and could not. I then had a buddy who is over 230 stacked pull and he couldnt get it to move either. Amazing I tell ya.

Best bait your going to find is fresh shad, or skip jack. My favorite is a fresh bluegill head (no tails).
Old 01-13-09, 09:52 AM   #9
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Like others have said... your bass gear will work on the smaller cats. I have a 8' Ugly Stick spooled with 30 lb braid. I use 7/0 circle hooks. We fish with fresh cut shad or ailwive. On the James River we catch them over 60lbs.! You won't bring in one like that with bass gear unless your lucky!
Old 01-13-09, 07:07 PM   #10
bamabassman

if none of the above works for ya...find an OLD hand crank telephone, some naked wire...throw the wire in da water, hook it to the phone and CRANK!!! hahahaha kidding, but it was done a LONG time ago.
Old 01-13-09, 10:57 PM   #11
quenston

Bama that is funny that you say that I was going through my grandfathers stuff that had been shoved to the back of the barn for years after he passed and I found a phone and I am thorughly convinced that it works not that I tried it out or anything

On another note I ended up buying the Bass Pro Cat Maxx Baitcasting combo I am gonna use 50 lb Power Pro with 5/0 circle hooks. I have fished for catfish with jug lines, trot lines etc but not much on the rod and reel side.
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 09:27 AM   #12
BassAddict

I have that same reel on one of my Ugly Sticks. Works good.

My neighbor went out on the James yesterday and caught one 45, 50, 30,and a couple 20-25. Said they had a great day. Also said a guy brought one in that weighed 80 lbs and had caught 2 more in the 50's. Wish I would of had yesterday off work!!!
Old 01-15-09, 10:00 AM   #13
jmartin

BassAddict man you got me jealous I was contemplating going down to the James this weekend, but instead I decided to go to the richmond Fishing show at the fairgrounds. I here they are really biting good. maybe next weekend.

Jerry
Old 01-15-09, 12:27 PM   #14
BassAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
BassAddict man you got me jealous I was contemplating going down to the James this weekend, but instead I decided to go to the richmond Fishing show at the fairgrounds. I here they are really biting good. maybe next weekend.

Jerry
I hear ya man. I want to go next Sat. but have a big corporate meeting for work. I'm planning to go with my neighbor on the 31st. Hope they're still biting! If you go let me know how you did.
Old 01-20-09, 08:32 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

Yeah if you have a stout 7 foot rod you can use it for catfish. When i go with a friend i just take my bass fishing stuff and put 30lb mono on. Don't worry i seen a guy turn a couple of 20lb cats on bass fishing stuff. if you are going for 30+ lb catfish though it may be hard to turn 'em.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 09:20 PM   #16
bamabassman

hey ifn you don't want that phone, i'll take it. and no....not for that either. always wanted an old hand crank phone.
Old 01-22-09, 06:22 PM   #17
3dkicker

Send Capt. Mike a PM. He fishes for whiskers most of the spring and fall when he isn't fishing for convicts. Catfish will eat just about anything a bass will but they prefer live (or dead) bait and not artificial baits.
Old 01-24-09, 08:13 PM   #18
Captmikestarrett

First you need a 35k boat...

snicker

Capt Mike
Old 01-27-09, 04:02 PM   #19
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenston View Post
if not what do you all suggest using for catfish?
Depends, if I'm going after channel cats it wouldn't hurt to use a bass setup.

For a giant cats I use Abu 6500c3. Sturdy reels. Seated on 9 and 10' cat rods cast a mile.
Old 01-27-09, 08:37 PM   #20
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey ifn you don't want that phone, i'll take it. and no....not for that either. always wanted an old hand crank phone.
shure you did........ you were thinking how many tournys you could win if you had that hidden in your livewell with the wires running out the drain holes. lol
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 10:49 PM   #21
bamabassman

ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh ranger, it wuz gonna come in handy at the get together, lmao.
Old 01-28-09, 08:21 AM   #22
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught the blue cat in my avatar (45 lbs.) on a 6'6" Ugly Stick Catfishing rod with a big Abu Garvia reel with clicker. We rigged live bluegills on heavy weights and caught them in 35+ feet of water on the Potomac River. Remember not to set the hook on a circle hook, just reel and the fish will set himself.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 08:44 AM   #23
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh ranger, it wuz gonna come in handy at the get together, lmao.
Go ahead and bring it Bama, it sounds like your gonna need all the help you can get! LOL just kidding of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBorger View Post
I caught the blue cat in my avatar (45 lbs.) on a 6'6" Ugly Stick Catfishing rod with a big Abu Garvia reel with clicker. We rigged live bluegills on heavy weights and caught them in 35+ feet of water on the Potomac River. Remember not to set the hook on a circle hook, just reel and the fish will set himself.
Nice Blue Cat Marc.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 09:36 AM   #24
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Go ahead and bring it Bama, it sounds like your gonna need all the help you can get! LOL just kidding of course

~Mark

Don't worry, woody. I'm his co-angler...I'll say he caught half my fish, and you'll be amazed at how good of a fisherman he is.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 10:31 AM   #25
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Don't worry, woody. I'm his co-angler...I'll say he caught half my fish, and you'll be amazed at how good of a fisherman he is.
LOL
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.