Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-09, 03:15 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Good sunglasses?

Not to long ago my lost my other pair of sunglasses. They were a 20$ pair of Jimmy Huston's. But for my next pair, I'd like to get something better. I don't wanna spend over 40 bucks though.

Here's what I want in them.

• 100% UV blockage
  • Glass lenses
  • Amber lenses (just a preference, not a need, I just hear that they're better)
  • And obviously I want them polarized

So, can I get all that for under 40?
Old 08-15-09, 03:35 PM   #2
DonaldBreland

I like the Glasses by Strike King. To me they held up to Costa Del Mar. My father inlaw owns a par of the Costas and I wouldnt spend $150.00 for them. My glasses costs $14.95 at walmart. I am pretty well known in South Carolina for my bed fishing too.
Old 08-15-09, 03:49 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

^^ +1 on the strike king glasses can't beat them for the price and for $40 you could get three lens colors for all your fishing needs

Jim
Old 08-15-09, 04:22 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
I am pretty well known in South Carolina for my bed fishing too.
what trails/clubs do you fish? no offense but i have never heard of you.
Old 08-15-09, 05:04 PM   #5
bcklash

What Donald and Jim said, strike king sunglasses are good glasses.
Old 08-15-09, 07:42 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have magnetic clip-on for my perscription glasses, but they don't cover any of the side, top, or bottom, and aren't dark at all. I'm looking into getting a pair of cocoons.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but Abu was giving away a $130 (Supposedly) pair of wiley X glasses with the purchase of any revo over like 150.

BB
Old 08-15-09, 08:10 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I don't know if they're still doing it, but Abu was giving away a $130 (Supposedly) pair of wiley X glasses with the purchase of any revo over like 150.

BB
i have several pairs of the wiley x glasses from buying revos and i really like them.
Old 08-15-09, 08:54 PM   #8
DonaldBreland

Quote:
I am pretty well known in South Carolina for my bed fishing too.
what trails/clubs do you fish? no offense but i have never heard of you.

Fishing Spro
I have fished in South Carolina for over 14 years. I fish from Lake Wylie to the Savannah River. I fished the Cottageville Bassmasters for the Last 6 years until it folded. I fished against people like Brent Riley, Billy Schwach, Peter T, Cecil Wolfe. I used to help Buddy Robertson and Bob Honeycutt prefish for their tournaments. Around Colleton County which is where I am from people ask me all the time what the fish are doing. I get calls all the time from big name fishermen that I wont say their names, asking where and what the fish are doing before big tournaments. I used to help people run the lake so they wouldn't tear up their boats. I have kept quiet lately though because I was learning how to speak and started to take marketing classes. A lot of people from the Lower part of South Carolina know me. If they don't then they will very soon.
Old 08-15-09, 08:56 PM   #9
DonaldBreland

Fishing Spro who are you and where do you fish.
Another question? why do people make nick names up instead of putting their real names up on these fishing boards. I'm not being rude I just like to know names.
Old 08-15-09, 09:00 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Another question? why do people make nick names up instead of putting their real names up on these fishing boards. I'm not being rude I just like to know names.

Probably as a privacy thing. I don't mind so much on here, but I don't want most people on other sites knowing who I am (the internet is a place full of freaking weirdos). That's also why I've got Toledo, OH as my location when I'm really in a small town outside of Toledo. That and because people know where toledo is, lol.

BB
Old 08-15-09, 09:02 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
...I get calls all the time from big name fishermen that I wont say their names...
Quote:
Donald, the first statement should go a ways in answering your question. People sometimes prefer a bit of anonymity. That being said, a bunch of us know each other by first, and occasionally last, names. Some of us are not running an eponymous website to help further our careers, so we don't have a big incentive to put ourselves at risk by giving some hacker or serial killer one foot in the door.

I know what you're saying though. Come to the next year's event, and then you'll know everybody by their real names.
Old 08-15-09, 09:08 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Man, you normal-sized human beings are so lucky. I have to get special sunglasses to fit my huge melon. The pair I lost fishing with CMorg was $105, and they're not even what I would consider especially polarized or anything. They help a little with seeing underwater, but not a lot.

On a good note, the company that makes them...Fatheadz (rofl), got picked up by Wal-Mart, and now I can buy them in my hometown instead of having to buy them online without trying them on. And they are only $54 now. I am not a big Wal-Mart fan, but in this case, I have to give them a big thumbs up.

If any of you guys are exceptionally cranially endowed like myself, I fully recommend Fatheadz. They are great sunglasses.
Old 08-15-09, 09:24 PM   #13
DonaldBreland

I got you nofear. You know I didn't think of it that way. I guess I'm setting myself up for one of them serial killers lol. I have spent 14 years trying to make a name for myself but I wanted to do it the right way. A lot of fishermen know me by face. Back in 2006 I had a pretty good name and decided to ease off bigger tournaments and started focusing on ways to pay for my fishing. So I took over a family business and kept a pressure washing business I had. I sold both last year in hopes of going pro in 2012. I have the money to do so. Which I am very luck for but I want to be able to promote myself and products the right way. I dedicated myself to help any fishermen achieve their dreams and will continue to do so. I am here to help out anyone who needs it. Everything I post on these web boards come from time on the water and trying everything I can to help people out. Some people may not have 5 days a week to fish like me and when they go fishing they want to catch fish. So when people ask questions on here I hope I am helping when I answer.
I'm not just trying to promote myself. I'm also promoting Jesus. without the Lord Jesus I wouldn't be here talking to you guys today.
Old 08-15-09, 09:28 PM   #14
DonaldBreland

Guys I didn't mean to sound rude about the nickname thing. I was just curious. I guess I look at things a little different and we all have different goals with our fishing. I'm sorry if it came out the wrong way.
Old 08-15-09, 09:37 PM   #15
DonaldBreland

By the way nofear. If glasses can fit around my head they can fit around any ones head.
Old 08-15-09, 09:39 PM   #16
nofearengineer

It didn't come off as rude, Donald...at least not to me. However, you are making a big mistake offering to give help. You're gonna get sick of my questions ROFL.

After the day(last three weeks, really) I had at Patoka Lake, I feel like I just picked up a rod for the first time. I just can NOT find the bass. I had a really exciting strike on a Scum Frog at 7am this morning, but he spat it out. At that point, I had no idea that was the last bite I was going to have all day.

I'm pretty sick of high pressure, bluebird skies, excessive heat, and wind. I tried topwater, deep cranks, jigs, C-rigged worms, jerkbaits (the sonar returns might have just been Crappie...dunno)...it was just too windy for drop-shotting, so I ran out of ideas. Sucky day in general.
Old 08-15-09, 09:41 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Quote:
By the way nofear. If glasses can fit around my head they can fit around any ones head.
Can you wear off the shelf sunglasses? If so, then you are failing to grasp the concept of just how huge my skull is. Ask the guys on the site who have met me. My mother must have mated with a Sasquatch. My pupil to pupil distance is 71 mm. Most eyewear shops just shrugged their shoulders at me LOL.
Old 08-15-09, 09:44 PM   #18
DonaldBreland

When that happens to me do you know what I do. I put down the bass rods and get some crickets. Then I go catch bream. Once I find bream. I pick up the bass rods again. I like finding other types of fish that are easier to catch because generally bass will be around them. I just gave up the one trick I do on my first day pre fishing a lake lol. There is a reason the bream are there. Baitfish. Where there is baitfaish theres bass. Try it.
To the thread starter. since I took your thread over on accident. If you email me your address I will give you my personal sun glasses.
Old 08-15-09, 09:47 PM   #19
DonaldBreland

LOL. Its like when I got married I couldn't find a shirt with a collar big enough to fit around my neck so I could wear a tie. My neck measured 22 inches round and the closest I could find was 20 inches. I used to frame houses and when I got on a wall i could look over because the force of my head leaning down would make me fall off the wall. lo.
Old 08-15-09, 09:52 PM   #20
DonaldBreland

from nofear: However, you are making a big mistake offering to give help. You're gonna get sick of my questions ROFL.

I would never think I am a know it all or anything like that. I just take a lot of notes when I fish. I study water like 3 to 5 hours a night. I want to know why they didn't bite when I zero out. I want to find out why did some guy weigh in 20lbs when I only brought in 5lbs. I am always willing to better myself on and off the water. I am very competitive but not to the point of being cocky. Some people cant fish as much as I do so I just tell people what I'm doing in hopes to help them out.
Old 08-15-09, 10:38 PM   #21
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
donald,

will send u a PM
Old 08-16-09, 07:43 AM   #22
Bassboss

Thanks guys!

On the abu's and the sunglasses. I would love to get them! But I don't wanna spend 160 on a reel (SX), even if I do get a pair a 130$ sunglasses. And plus I'm going with a daiwa Advantage HSTA for my next reel, I found a good price somewhere (130).

I'll definitely check out the SK glasses! I've got an old pair, but they aint polorized!

Edit:

I looked at strike king sunglasses. I found some Shaw Grigsby sunglasses for 21$. I know Shaw is very well know for his sight fishing, so I would think there's are pretty good glasses. Also what do you guys think of the Strike King Pro-Series sunglasses. They have amber lenses, and I like the side lenses also.

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-16-09 at 07:57 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 03:24 PM   #23
cassidyta

If you are looking for good, cheap sunglasses, I would say to not just focus in the fishing areas. I have owned a couple of expensive sunglasses and you know what, they sink to the bottom of the lake just as easy as the cheaper ones.

I usually purchase mine from pharmacies. Most have a very good selection of polarized sunglasses. While a lot of them are found next to the walkers and depends, they hold up and have worked great for me.
Old 08-16-09, 06:04 PM   #24
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
If you are looking for good, cheap sunglasses, I would say to not just focus in the fishing areas. I have owned a couple of expensive sunglasses and you know what, they sink to the bottom of the lake just as easy as the cheaper ones.

I usually purchase mine from pharmacies. Most have a very good selection of polarized sunglasses. While a lot of them are found next to the walkers and depends, they hold up and have worked great for me.
So you found them on "accident"?
Old 08-16-09, 08:12 PM   #25
Bassboss

Cool thanks cass!

And those SK shades I said I had... turns out they're polarized... and very good too! I was fishing a murky canal, and could see blue gills and Oscar swimming around just fine! Also the Hyacinth roots that I couldn't see without them, I could with, so... there pretty good! Just need to windex 'em up a little!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.