Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-05, 02:28 AM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Eagles

I was watching tv this morning and this one show (Fred Barta) I think, showed this eagle swooping down and grabbing a fish out of the water. So I was wondering what kind of fish it was. To me it looked like a bass but could have been anything. Which further led me to wonder if a lot of bass(or any other kind of fish) cruises the middle of a lake close to the surface. Ok, so where am I going with this? Well, I was wondering if anyone has flown over a lake and veiwed fish close to the surface. A couple of times as soon as my bait hit the water it was smacked by a bass. Which leads me to believe this to be true. Now all this leads me to wonder if they do swim so close to the surface doesn't this cause you to wonder why they are not deeper in deeper water? Is this an untapped area of structure, so to speak? I have heard that topwater baits will call fish up. But these fish are already close to the surface. Ok it's late and I have been up for 16 hours.

Bob
Old 09-11-05, 02:34 AM   #2
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

It could have been mullet or bass or many diff. fish............... I dont know about the other stuff. When a bass slams my lure as soon as it hits the water I am satisfied........
Old 09-11-05, 02:35 AM   #3
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

Ive been up for 20 hours and look at my recent topics in the non-fishing board........... Im bored lol.................
Old 09-11-05, 02:56 AM   #4
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bass are pretty fast creatures. They don't necessarily sit right on the surface of the water but can come from 5-8 feet in a second.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 06:36 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Several times when I have been fishin I have had bass slam a lure just as it entered the water. Now how in the h*#@ a bass seen that lure coming at high speeds I dont know. I am more to think that they strike at the disturbance that just happens. Just an opinion.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 06:53 AM   #6
cullin8s
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had a bass explode on my frog as it skimmed the top of the water a couple weeks ago, im not talking a slow cast it was a zinger to skip this lure under the trees. The fish barely missed the frog, and almost stopped it in its tracks too.

The osprey around here (thats another fish eating bird of prey) eat some bass but mostly large shad is what i see them catch.
Old 09-12-05, 07:44 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Several times when I have been fishin I have had bass slam a lure just as it entered the water. Now how in the h*#@ a bass seen that lure coming at high speeds I dont know. I am more to think that they strike at the disturbance that just happens. Just an opinion.
I agree 100% here. Bass feed by sight, sound, and smell. If they are shallow, and hungry, anything that hits close to them is food, whether they see it or not. They are shallow waiting for something to hit near them to ambush. Like a frog, or bug or fish, whatever. If it's near them they will hammer it. SOmetimes a bigger splash or a skipping plastics can help get bites, due to the commotion/noise. Plus bass can see out of the water also just like we can see in. Anyone ever seen a bass go after a hovering bug or bird flying low I have, or has anyone had a bass come out of the water to get a bait hung up on a branch above the water I have caught several fish this way. As a matter of fact everytime I do throw over a limb I purposely dangle it in and out of the water hoping to get a hit. Sometimes it works, but usually not. As for what type of fish, I've seen a Eagle with a BIG catfish, and a Big Striper, I don't think they care what kind of fish it is. They just wanna eat LOL. There always seem to be Bass shallow, maybe not a lot of them, but they are cold blooded, so the heat doesn't affect them as you and I. It affects them by their metabolism, not by trying to cool off. The shade is a place to ambush from, but even on sunny days you can catch fish where there is no shade. It's just easier IMO to target docks or shady areasw because you can see them. But I don't hesitate to fish sunny sides if it's cooler, I just personally prefer to be in the shade on hot days myself

Lizards
Old 09-12-05, 07:52 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

eagles ???? alrighty say it with me FREEBIRD!!!

that right there is funny. even if i know the eagles did not sing freebird lmao!!!!!

zooker
Old 09-15-05, 05:38 PM   #9
HulaPopr

It could just be that the birds have, well, a "birds eye view" of the water. They can cover a lot more water quickly and find when a fish is anywhere near the surface even if they are spread across the lake.
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.