Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-09, 03:29 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Backlash on REVO's.

Since we've been talking a lot about backlashes lately, and I don't really know why, it'll probably jinx us all... anyways. I got my first backlash on my Revo the other day and while pulling the line out, it just stopped. I looked and looked, and finlly realized a loop of line was wedged in between the spool and the reel's frame... Now, I've never had this happen to any of my other reels from Daiwa or BPS, or even my cheap gander mtn reel.

so, Revo owners, is this a normal occurance for Revo's or could something be wrong? Cause seriously, nothing should be wrong with a 280 dollar reel. Although honestly, having used it, I wouldn't actually pay 280 for the Skeet Reese. maybe for like 220. Maybe.

BB
Old 04-09-09, 03:52 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

I cannot speak to that specific reel, but I can positively tell you that should have never happened. It is normal for the spool to slide and bounce during a cast and retrieve, however, that movement should be so minimal that never would it allow for such a large enough gap to present itself that your line could get wedged into.

May I ask what pound test line you were using? I guess there is a chance it could happen with 4 lb., but anything 6 lb or more would be a very odd thing to occur.

The spool and the reel body's frame around the spool, should be of such a tight tolerance that your line should never fit through the gaps or openings.

Freak things do happen though. I just broke a new rod right at split grip portion during a simple cast. I've broken rods before, but never in that area during a cast. So stuff happens! If it happens again, I would wager something is awry with your reel.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 04:31 PM   #3
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I own 7 revo's and have never had this happen to me. You might want to take a look at the spool and make sure it's not damaged and that it fits tightly around the opening of the reel.
Old 04-09-09, 07:13 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'll go ahead and look at it closer because, I didn't think this should happen either. It has happened since that time too. The only thing is, I got it on ebay, so I'd have to talk with Pure Fishing directly if it needs replaced. I'm hoping it won't though.

BB
Old 04-10-09, 01:16 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

i have a lot of revo's and never had this happen. i bet it is a freak thing.
Old 04-10-09, 03:10 PM   #6
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I own a Revo and although I've had some back lashes, I've never had one like you've described...if you've had more than one occurance, which it sounds like you have...I would look into having a repair shop look at it...or if your comfortable with it tear it down yourself......
Old 04-11-09, 01:28 PM   #7
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only time that should be possible is when the spool is being reinstalled into the spool. It can happen when you replace the spool into the reel and the line is loose. Normally we should see that happen and feel something different, but it can happen especially if the line used is "springy" and you have the spool filled up really high.

It should be the only way for this to happen and never if the spool has been installed properly as already mentioned.

However, it is very preventable. What I do when I replace the spool is place a piece of tape to keep the line down. This will eliminate the possiblilty of what you described and also eliminate another potential issue of the line looping "under itself" which also is rare but can happen. There is no real term for this occurence but it can happen when the line on the spool is loose and the end of the line somehow manages to "thread" itself under an loose coil of line.
Old 04-14-09, 03:08 AM   #8
WTL

I had that happen on a worn out 1970s model Daiwa Millionare and it was partly because of how loose I had the tension set. It let the spool pivot enough out of the frame to let line in there. In your case you might have something wrong.
Old 04-24-09, 07:34 PM   #9
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[QUOTEThe only time that should be possible is when the spool is being reinstalled into the spool][/QUOTE]

Actually did that inserting the spool in one of my new Pflueger Patriarchs's - which is very similar to the REVO's. I knew it right away as the tolerances are so tight the spool would not seat, using 12# Yo-Zuri Hybrid line. I think it would be very difficult to get line of 8# or heavier between the reel frame and the spool. Obviously it happened, but as the reels are so similiar I would think the tolerances of a properly seated spool woould be too close for line to get wedged between it and the frame.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.