Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-11, 05:57 PM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default baitcaster lines??

do baicasters cast better or more manageable with certain lines versus others? i've heard that the thicker the line the more manageable but does it make a difference if it were mono vs flouro vs braid?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 06:08 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Line diameter does make a difference. But mono, fluoro, and braid are extremely different. Braid is very limp, mono is kinda stiff, and fluoro is stiffer than mono (generally speaking). If you hold some braid a couple of inches from the end, it won't really stick out to the side...it'll droop down, whereas mono and fluoro will both defy gravity.
I sometimes have a hard time tying knots with braid because I can't get the #$%^$@ end of it to go through the %@#$%$%& hole. It keeps bending over and won't go through. I don't have this problem with mono or fluoro because of their stiffness.
Fluoro is usually the one that gives people headaches because it likes to spring off spinning reels and makes these beautiful but pain-in-the-butt coils during the cast.
Also, thicker line is stiffer, therefore LESS manageable, than thinner line.
Old 04-06-11, 06:44 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

OK, this is ONLY my point of view. I enjoy casting both mono and braid on baitcasters. Mono is perhaps the easiest to cast and use. But braid works great too. Like MB said, it has some issues when tying knots and so forth, but for me I can cast it just fine and dandy. But I really do not like Flourocarbon for casting period. I know some guys use it often and love it. Myself, I have "A LOT" more trouble with backlashes using flourocarbon line. I used it a couple times and got rid of the stuff. Again, that only my opinion. But for the price you pay for a good flourocarbon, I'd rather use something like P Lines flouroclear with is a flourocarbon coated copoly line. Much cheeper and cast great. Also much more supple than flourocarbon.
Old 04-06-11, 07:21 PM   #4
Bassboss

Bait casters handle thicker (which usually means less manageable) lines better than spinning reels due to spool design. You see people using 17, and even 20 pound flourocarbon and mono on a baitcaster with little to no problems. I doubt anyone would use that heavy of line on a spinning reel for bass fishing. With braid it does not really matter, the stuff is limp as limp can get, granted I would never use any braid over 30lb on a spinning reel, because of sport, and cast ability (thinner line casts better because it has friction friction on the line guides).
Old 04-07-11, 06:39 AM   #5
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
because I can't get the #$%^$@ end of it to go through the %@#$%$%& hole. It keeps bending over and won't go through..
are we still talkin fishing line here?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 09:04 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
are we still talkin fishing line here?
I had JUST taken a sip of coffee and barely had a chance to swallow it before I read that. Otherwise, I'd be in all kinds of trouble...

And YES, I'm talking about fishing line....
Old 04-07-11, 10:42 AM   #7
DVT Mike

Braid smaller than 20# (8# equiv) may have a tendency to dig into the spool. This is becoming less of a problem as braided lines evolve becoming smoother and rounder. Mono or good braid is much easier to learn with than fluoro.
Old 04-07-11, 10:16 PM   #8
boloson

the reason i ask u guys is because i had been practicing in my backyard with braid & have minimal backlashes. for the past week or so i've been going to my local lake & the backlashes increased by a lot. would a wet braid be the cause?
Old 04-07-11, 11:21 PM   #9
bamabassman

mississippiboy...........you need help buddy. lol.

other than MB's nice wording, he is correct on his post. and yes walker.......i am glad i didn't have my drink in my hand as i read that too. hahahaha.

boloson, the reasons you are bcklashing in the lake is your thumb buddy. NOT the line. practing in your yard is ok.....to an extent. grass and water are 2 different things. the yard is a good place to get the "feel" of your set up (NO JOKES HERE! LOL), BUT IT is DIFFERENT WHEN YOU ARE ON THE WATER. jsut tighten up on your brakes a little till you get the hang of it.
Old 04-08-11, 10:17 AM   #10
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Braid smaller than 20# (8# equiv) may have a tendency to dig into the spool. This is becoming less of a problem as braided lines evolve becoming smoother and rounder.
What lines would you say have evolved so "line-dig" is less of a problem? I use spinning reels and typically light braid (super-lines liek fire wire or spider witre) 8# - 12# ...line dig can be a problem on spinning gear. I typically would use a heavier braid on a bait-casting reel, so not as much of an issue for me.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 04:05 PM   #11
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
mississippiboy...........you need help buddy. lol.

other than MB's nice wording, he is correct on his post. and yes walker.......i am glad i didn't have my drink in my hand as i read that too. hahahaha.

boloson, the reasons you are bcklashing in the lake is your thumb buddy. NOT the line. practing in your yard is ok.....to an extent. grass and water are 2 different things. the yard is a good place to get the "feel" of your set up (NO JOKES HERE! LOL), BUT IT is DIFFERENT WHEN YOU ARE ON THE WATER. jsut tighten up on your brakes a little till you get the hang of it.
It's backlashing before it hits the water and I'm not doing anything different at all. Yes I definitely need more practice but man It's frustrating
Old 04-08-11, 10:07 PM   #12
bamabassman

it'll happen boloson.it'll happen.

now i NEVER get a backlash............nope, never. that's my story and i am sticking to it. (as i curse the reel for line overdose. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA)

MORAL IS BOLOSON, everybody THAT FISHES GETS A BACKLASH OR LINE OVER RUN. heck i get one for real about every 3 casts.
Old 04-08-11, 10:30 PM   #13
boloson

ok now i dont feel as bad. went on the water today & turned on 1 brake so no backlashes but can't cast too far. man this baticasting stuff is a pain. don't know why people don't stick to spinning
Old 04-08-11, 10:38 PM   #14
WatterBoy

Yeah, you guys aren't making a great case for me to attempt the switch to baitcasters. All I have used in the past is spinning reels and I know you guys all say I should switch, but I don't know. . .
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 10:54 PM   #15
bamabassman

hahahaha.....listen.....SPINNING reels do the same thing. line gets all twisted up on those too. at least MINE do. hahahaha.
Old 04-08-11, 10:59 PM   #16
WatterBoy

I don't have any problems with spinning gear like what you guys are talking about.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 11:02 PM   #17
boloson

yes no spinning reel problems for me too. i can whip spinning as hard as i can & never backlash but won't launch as far as baicaster. that's the only real difference i've found.... baitcaster cast further with less effort
Old 04-09-11, 12:15 PM   #18
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If I had to only use spinning reels for bass fishing, I'd most likely quit. It takes a real ****ty day for me to grab the spinning rod most of the time.

Baitcasters are not the easiest things to get the hang of. But, I promise once you do, you will love them. With the reels of today backlashes really shouldn't be any issue if they are set up correctly.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 01:35 PM   #19
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
If I had to only use spinning reels for bass fishing, I'd most likely quit. It takes a real ****ty day for me to grab the spinning rod most of the time.

Baitcasters are not the easiest things to get the hang of. But, I promise once you do, you will love them. With the reels of today backlashes really shouldn't be any issue if they are set up correctly.
asides from my limited experience with baitcasters could it also be my set up? when i spooled my spool i can see the line not lining up straight. the spool on my reel is almost the width of a pencil (curado 301E) & my other baitcaster is a quantum. the quantum's spool is the wiffle type & it's much larger in width then my curado. spooling the quantum seemed smoother while the curado would bunch up on its right & left side making it uneven in the middle. is this the norm for this particular curado model?
Old 04-09-11, 02:47 PM   #20
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
asides from my limited experience with baitcasters could it also be my set up? when i spooled my spool i can see the line not lining up straight. the spool on my reel is almost the width of a pencil (curado 301E) & my other baitcaster is a quantum. the quantum's spool is the wiffle type & it's much larger in width then my curado. spooling the quantum seemed smoother while the curado would bunch up on its right & left side making it uneven in the middle. is this the norm for this particular curado model?
Nothing really out of the ordinary on a Curado, or any other reel for that matter. I doubt it has anything to do with the backlashing.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 11:16 PM   #21
boloson

well....got to target casting today & flipping practice & played around with the brakes & tensioner. i found that if i turned on a set of brakes & loosen the tensioner more then normal, the cast is nice & smooth & long distance casting aint too bad either. more manageable & minimal backlash

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.