Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-07, 08:48 AM   #1001
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Oh and flb, a few other things we do well are; NOT screwing up elections, paying one of the highest minimum wages in the country, and sending our retirees to places like Palm Springs and Hawaii instead of garbage dumps like Florida.
Why are you bragging about Oregans not understanding basic economics (high minimum wages create unemployment and inefficiency in the economy) and leaving the state in mass for Hawaii?

And Lancer, if you really are interested in the truth then first you must concede that there is no official source for determining who the National Champion is or was in any particular year. Even the BCS was created to try and determine an "official" champion and it has failed, as proven in 2003 by USC who is recognized by many as the Champion despite LSU supposedly winning it on the field.

Again, the site you linked to is no more offical than if I wrote the years we claim an NC in magic marker on my ***. Its just some website. Here is a link to the closest thing to an official tally, which recongizes the possibilty of multiple national champions in a single year.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

And here is a link to an essay outlining some of what the University of Alabama claims. Again, we can claim much more than we do; and in 1966 and 1945 we should claim Titles but don't.

http://members.wserv.com/~crimson/12ncs.htm

Last edited by WTL; 10-31-07 at 11:36 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-07, 09:52 PM   #1002
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Why are you bragging about Oregans not understanding basic economics (high minimum wages create unemployment and inefficiency in the economy) and leaving the state in mass for Hawaii?

And Lancer, if you really are interested in the truth then first you must concede that there is no official source for determining who the National Champion is or was in any particular year. Even the BCS was created to try and determine an "official" champion and it has failed, as proven in 2003 by USC who is recognized by many as the Champion despite LSU supposedly winning it on the field.

Again, the site you linked to is no more offical than if I wrote the years we claim an NC in magic marker on my ***. Its just some website. Here is a link to the closest thing to an official tally, which recongizes the possibilty of multiple national champions in a single year.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

And here is a link to an essay outlining some of what the University of Alabama claims. Again, we can claim much more than we do; and in 1966 and 1945 we should claim Titles but don't.

http://members.wserv.com/~crimson/12ncs.htm
well at least you are loyal to UA, even if the rest of the world giggles at their claims. crimson koolaid is a draft best quaffed very cold.

Ps. you misspelled "Hemingway" and The bear is STILL dead.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 12:48 AM   #1003
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Haha, I still can't believe Otto is a grown adult, every post made makes me even more baffled. Calling Florida a "Garbage Dump," not an ignorant statement at all, and for all I care you yanks can stay up there, or go to Hawaii, just makes driving easier here, and life a little more laid back, considering the fact all them yankee retirees are always crabby. Though I guess I'd be that way to if I had to live in the North for a long period of time.

Anyways I'm about ready for this season to sum up, our few key players are getting banged up and nothing good is coming of this season. The only positive is our young D can get some experience and hopefully they can show some heart and not give up so many points every game, and it would also be nice if they would show up for the 4th quarter every now and then. Maybe a few more offensive playmakers would help as well.
Old 11-01-07, 03:49 AM   #1004
WTL

Lancer, the only thing you have been right about so far is the spelling of Hemingway's name. And he is dead too, as is very possibly your father or mother or someone you care about. People die. My grandfather died earlier this year. I dont think its funny to be without him around. I don't think the Bryants appreciate people always pointing out that Coach is dead.

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

PS, I just kicked your *** on the whole national champ argument. Of course theres room for debate on everything, but what you were saying is sorta ridiculous - the site you linked earlier says that Alabama has 9 NCs, so there is only a dispute about a couple of ones in the 30s and 1 in the 40s. SO the rest of the word giggles that we think we won a National Title in 1934? Really? OK, lets just go ahead and claim the one we should have won but don't claim in 1966. You know, the year we were 2 time defending national champions, the only unbeaten and untied team in the country and the year that nobody save tennessee was within like 2 TDs. I mean its not like there were any good players on that team in the first place. Ken Stabler, but who has ever heard of him? And Notre Dame and Michigan State really were more deserving than us... They thought so much of each other, they decided to run out the clock at the end of the game so that everybody was a winner! SO long as their sportswriter buddies didn't vote for Alabama as National Champions.

Or we could claim 1945. Had that been any other year, it would have been a sure National Championship. But it was 1945, and the other deserving team was Army. In actuality, I have always thought we claimed the 1941 deal to offset that we didnt want to take away from Army that year, even though we were as good as any team that had existed in college football to that point in time.

Last edited by WTL; 11-01-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 09:27 AM   #1005
Lancer6

ah, now we are tugging at the heartstrings. not likely that the Bryant family will be reading this thread now is it?
The NCAA considers the domers to have the lead over the okies by one national championship. they don't count those awarded by less than authoritative sources.

Here's a little ditty dedicated to the bama believers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkxb2K9ISc
would have preferred the Kingston trio but not available.

in my search of college teams forums for more infeaux (clue) I discovered that the okies and the bamites seem to love each other since '03. something to do with the A&M-okie game and the A&M coach. not sure what that was all about. any ideas?
I did learn that bama and the okies played in '02 and '03, won't mention scores, and that they seem to like each other. thats good anyway. same colors almost except okies are crimson and cream rather than c and white. heck I even like you. loyalty earns my respect any day.
but are you catching any feesh?

see ya in Sylacauga!

tigers roar
Old 11-01-07, 12:17 PM   #1006
WTL

Oh I'm on the fish. Boats even still totalled, but I'm on them.

I smell corndogs.....

Les Miles better win this next game or he has no chance to take LSU anywhere. I mean think about it, the program is dead if Saban can beat LSU. Thats gotta be a lot of pressure for the hat.

But welcome to the board and to my thread. It is, you see, my thread. At first I thought you meant you were one of the other tigers, and then I would have really felt bad for you, but hey, at least yall can still make some damn good gumbo after yall return to competing with Ole Miss every year.

LSU Bleauxs!!!!

PS. The inexplicable Oklahoma - Bama thing started with the home and homes in 02 and 03 as you surmised. We realized that we were in agreement on almost everything except how to arrive at a conclusive tally of National Championships (boths side merely uses the tally most favorable to them), we realized we have a little brother in state who is very annoying and similar (back then they had some crazy *** coach at OSU named Miles, but good thing they traded him in for a 40 YEAR OLD MAN!!!), and we realized that we really thought USC, ND, Michigan, and all the other glamour teams were little spiky haired twerps with talent but no balls - and what made our programs go historically was not incredible talent, but work ethic.

Last edited by WTL; 11-01-07 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 12:54 PM   #1007
WTL

As for the coach Bryant is still dead thing, that is the taunt that I hear from every fan in the SEC. I mean I hear it more than any other. On the surface its just a fact, he is in fact deceased. But what it tells me about the people who say it is that they are glad that a great man is dead. I don't think I'm happy that Gen Neyland or Shug Jordan or Knute Rockne are dead, but people actually seem to gloat that Coach Bryant is dead. That is an indictment of them, not us.

As for whether the Bryants are going to read this thread, probably not. But did you know that Coach's funeral procession down interstate 59 from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham was lined by over a million mourners? Here is 1 man who was born into wretched poverty, came up through the depression and effected that many lives so much so that they sat by the interstate on overpasses and exchanges on a cold day in January to pay respect to him. And you gloat that he is dead?

Watch this youtube video of one of his players recounting a speech Coach gave. Its very short, so you can go on doing what you are doing after its done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgB3COEQIyM
Old 11-01-07, 04:47 PM   #1008
Lancer6

no gloating, none whatsoever.
There is a little story you probably wouldn't want to know about an incident when Coach B was at Kentucky. My father played a central role in it in his capacity as Special Services Officer for the 11th Airborne Division.
Let's just say it involved hoodwinking some troops who played on the 11th's football team.
Old 11-01-07, 05:00 PM   #1009
WTL

Spill it. The Man is dead and not here to defend hisself, but the worst thing you can do is insinuate he did something wrong, then be too big of a coward to say it. So either back it up or back down.

And do remember what happened when Bryant was alive and the Atlanta Journal accused him of cheating. He sued them because they were FOS and got a huge reward. People made a lot of crap up about him. He really, really gets to some people to this day.
Old 11-02-07, 06:34 AM   #1010
Lancer6

If there's one thing I'm not, its a coward. Soooo...
BTW, before I start, seems to be a bit of scandal at mighty Hoover HS, eh?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...0-hoover_N.htm

OK. when coach B was at UK he came over to fort campbell to watch the 11th Airborne division team play. that was when each major post and division had football teams. he found out that some of the best players had elgibility left and were coming up on reenlistment and told them to forget the Army and come over to UK, promising them they'd do just fine.
well, a few skipped their re-ups, went to UK, and most if not all flunked out or failed to get a schollie. They had to take whatever deal they could get if they wanted back into the Army. they all lost at least one stripe.
the next season Coach B annouced he was heading back to the post "to do some scouting." He was stopped at the gate and informed by my dad and four MPs that he was not welcome, by order of the commanding general. he fumed and cussed but he was not allowed near the team for the rest of the time he was at KU.
Dad hated him for a long time for what he'd done to some hopeful GIs but did warm up to him later in Bryant's life especially when Bear gave UA a million dollars of his own money. I thought that was pretty cool too.
Old 11-02-07, 12:00 PM   #1011
WTL

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you flunk out or fail to make the team how is that Coach Bryant's fault? Especially if you flunk off a football team, and as for schollies in those days there werent the limitations so those guys had to have been loafing or something. And nobody rationally would tell a guy to come over from the military just to cause them trouble, so obviously Coach thought they were good enough to help in some way and either he misevaluated their talent and character or they didn't do what they needed to do.

As for Hoover, yea, theres this little bitty scandal over there.

Rush Probst is well known to be one of the biggest jerks on the planet. Not only was he probably involved in the grade changing scandal, but the big rumor is that he has a second family with 3 kids. He resigned just the other day. There was a rumor that Grissom (which is my High Schools rival) was looking at offering Probst a job as head coach.
Old 11-04-07, 07:30 PM   #1012
bassfisher02

Well damn hated to see FSU with the win this weekend, that was a real shock. Atleast Florida won as well.
Old 11-04-07, 10:27 PM   #1013
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

...Ahem....
Ducks #3 behind LSU?
The OU Ducks beat the #4 team in the nation, LSU (barely) beat nobody.
OU or Kansas belong there, not LSU!!!

Last edited by otto; 11-04-07 at 10:32 PM.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 01:42 AM   #1014
WTL

Nice dig there Otto. We are still ranked in the top 25 and we are a very well coached team with little talent, but hardly nobody.

But I will say this, right now Oregon is the second best team in the country. The problem with LSU is they have 10 potential first round draft picks, but no discipline, coaching or direction. Still, they managed to prevail based on physicality and dumb bravado. That will work much of the time, but not all of the time. LSU is going to trip up.

Don't know what will happen with Oregon, they may keep winning, or they may not. This year has been odd to say the least, and they better beware a letdown against whomever they play. Because...and I can't believe I'm going to say this...Kansas is lurking. Fear the fat man.
Old 11-05-07, 09:20 PM   #1015
flfireman

All I can say is #2 is a bad place to be this year. I saw BC losing eventually, kinda glad it was a Fl team that did it. Gators actually looked pretty good over Vandy. LSU is still destined for the National Championship this year. I don't think they can take OSU, but they have a knack of winning in the end. The Left coast still has it's sleepers to deal with. I don't see any of them making it to the big dance. Im still not sure if OSU will make it past Michigan. This is and has been a very interesting year for college ball. Some great games with some wild upsets, that's what makes college ball so well liked.
Old 11-07-07, 07:51 PM   #1016
3dkicker

Anyone catch the Stillers victory the other night over Balmer? Not much recognition for the 1st year coach even after losing the offensive coaches to the Zona Cards.
Old 11-08-07, 12:31 AM   #1017
WTL

Nobody caught it 3d because the game was over so quickly that people turned the channel after the second series. Man, the Ravens looked bad.
Old 11-17-07, 06:55 PM   #1018
flfireman

another day, UF no problem w/ their win. Next week FSU, should be a good game. OSU vs Mich- damn it looked cold.
Old 11-17-07, 09:54 PM   #1019
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, the ride is over for Oregon.
With Dixon at QB, they could play with any team in the country; without him, they are not in the top 25.
The real tragedy is not an OU loss, it's Dixon's college career (and Heisman bid) ending too soon. He's out for the rest of the season with a torn acl. He reminded me of a young Randal Cunningham, but Dixon was much better at managing a complex offense.
Old 11-21-07, 07:07 AM   #1020
Lancer6

Otto

Its been a krazy season all around, hasn't it?!?!
I think Oregon is normally referred to as UO rather than OU. Someone on one of the sports shows mentioned that and said that the Okies have first claim on "OU" and that their legendary football history gives them the right to it.
No big deal though, right? Wonder what Ohio U (not State) thinks of all this, LOL!
I wonder if Alabammy will claim another national championship this year. After all, they did win a few games. I'll check to see if the East Chitlin' AL newspaper sports staff votes them number one (right after they finish the weekly obituaries and boll weevil report that is)

Proud to be a Princeton man! (PU!)
"Going back, going baaaack.
Going back to Nassau Hallllllll"
We have some great songs!
Old 11-22-07, 01:12 AM   #1021
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

I know lancer, I lived in Tulsa for 7 years during the Switzer era (early '80's). They were the most dominating team of the era, but they also graduated the most criminals and idiots. I admit, I do hold a grudge; today's OU is a respectable football program, but I won't give them the right or the satisfaction of an "OU" trademark based on their history.
Old 11-29-07, 09:54 PM   #1022
bassfisher02

UF whooped up on FSU big time, 45-12. I went to the game and it was a good time. Looks liek Tebow is looking good for the Heisman this year, the numbers say he should win it, but it just goes down to whether the old timers want to give it to such a young player, and if they dont, well than that is a messed up way to think.
Old 12-02-07, 03:13 PM   #1023
flfireman

Another wild weekend in NCAA. Nevr thought Pitt would win over WVU. LSU was not that impressive over "T". Still think OSU and Kansas should go for the big dance now. Who know's what they will come up with. Do not agree w/ this whole Georgia argument. They didn't even play in the SEC championship game, why a National Title game??? Can't see that happening. Guess we all will find out shortly.
Old 12-02-07, 04:38 PM   #1024
WTL

They need to just cancel the BCS Title game this year. There is no championship calibur team.
Old 12-04-07, 01:23 AM   #1025
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
They need to just cancel the BCS Title game this year. There is no championship calibur team.
Oh, there are deserving teams, or at least better combos to match up in the "Title" game.
When I think about it I recall that the Super Bowl winner in any given year might have at least three or four losses on the season. Kinda makes one yearn for the NCAA to have some sort of playoff re the big boys.
Right now, I think USC, Oklahoma, and maybe Hawaii deserve a shot at it.
This after watching all three play over the weekend. Oklahoma was ferocious on offense AND defense in finishing off the Tigers' last hope for a title and Chase Daniel's Heisman dream...absolutely ferocious! USC got 'er done and Hawaii proved they could come back from three TDs down.
Watching Ohio State is like watching paint dry and watching/listening to Les Miles is sufficient punishment for any number of major crimes.

Speaking of Tigers...Go Princeton!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.