Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-08, 09:02 PM   #1101
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you never know what's going to happen any given saturday. that's why they play. just look at the upsets last weekend. you may call them cupcakes, but those cupcakes tend to focus their entire season on one or two games, the ones with highly ranked oponents, making them one tough cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
If one is to argue that the current setup forces a team to strive for perfection, then why do these so called powerhouses schedule "cupcakes" in their OOC schedule? If you are striving towards perfection, should you not want to play the best that is out there EVERY game and not just in your own conference?

The setup today forces teams to strive for perfection within their own conference. Teams feel that their conference schedule is strong enough to sufficiently rank them, so they do not strive for perfection outside of their conference. Most schools do schedule a few difficult opponents for the OOC schedule but most if not all strategically schedule a couple "cupcake-teams" essentially giving their team easy wins. Sure these cupcakes will pull an upset every now and then but you can't say with a straight face that the big win over Joe Schmo University had any influence over the ranking committee. All it does is pad their win column. You can argue that the team needs a rest, but isn't that what the bye weeks are for? Until teams try to fill their OOC schedule every week with the best teams out there, then the system today is flawed.

And yes I know UAB does the same thing, but I also have never argued that it was right. Beating Alabama State did nothing for us other than giving us a check in the win column. I would much rather lose to Tennessee, South Carolina, and similar OOC opponents than beat the snot out of St. Mary's Sisters of the Poor each week.
Old 10-03-08, 09:56 PM   #1102
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
An SEC team has a tough enough road already as does a Big12 team, 1 good OOC game is enough.
Please. That is a "holier than thou" attitude that the SEC and the Big12 have. It also goes against your comment about the current system forcing teams to strive for perfection. The reason the SEC teams and the Big12 teams do not schedule all the OOC games to be tough is because they are afraid of losing several of those games. To me that is not the attitude a national champion should have.
My opinion is that just gives those tough conference 2 or 3 "easy" wins to pad that win column that pretty much guarantees them a bowl bid at the end of the season. If you want to be the undisputed national champion, then you should be able to say that we played the best in the country every week and won.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 10:01 PM   #1103
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
you never know what's going to happen any given saturday. that's why they play. just look at the upsets last weekend. you may call them cupcakes, but those cupcakes tend to focus their entire season on one or two games, the ones with highly ranked oponents, making them one tough cookie.
I understand that upsets do happen and I stated that in my post. My argument is that WTL states that the current setup forces teams to "strive for perfection". That is simply not the case. If you want to be the best, you should beat the best.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 10:43 PM   #1104
flfireman

Every team plays "cupcakes". Most of the time the smaller schools approach the larger school for a chance to play. The smaller schools tend to benefit monetarily from these games. Last year some of the smaller schools gained over 2 million dollars towards their sport programs off 1 game against UF. Is it right? Depends what side of the W-L column your on or what side of the check you are on.
Old 10-03-08, 11:14 PM   #1105
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

FishinGolfn, there are a couple reasons why what you are saying is inaccurate;

Perfection is defined, I guess for the sake of this argument, as facing a difficult schedule and being undefeated. It is not defined as facing the AFC East and going undefeated. You literally could not work the schedules out so that Bama (for instance) replaced Tulane with Southern Cal, W Kentucky with Texas and Arkie State with Penn State. I would actually like to see the schedule, but you couldnt work the dates out so that everyone every week gets a top 10 OOC opponent. The financial concern is also a legitimate one as I said.

On top of that, if you did such a thing there would be a disconnect between the mid majors, the BCS busters, and the BCS schools. It would almost be like two different leagues. The UABs wouldnt play the Tennessees. How then, could we ever reliably say that a team like say BYU is any good? BYU is trying their best right now to prove they belong, and every game they play against a BCS team, if you had your way, they might not get the chance as games are normally scheduled years in advance and nobody would be able to predict that BYU would be a good enough team that far in advance.

And finally, about the SEC and Big 12. Yes, they are that good. The ACC and PAC10 have as good skill players, but the SEC/Big12 have those great skill players and they have great linemen as well. Every pundit in America who doesnt have an interest in one of the lesser conferences pretty much routinely agrees with it, and while pundits do not ordain facts into existence with their mere approval, they are right in this case.
Old 10-03-08, 11:48 PM   #1106
WTL

Nother subject, another post;

What do I think we should do?

I do not like the BCS per se. The current system is flawed, I just think a playoff would make things worse by eliminating some small problems and killing several great things about CFB.

So I think there should be 4 items on the agenda. Conference reform, a tweak of the current BCS formula, more scholarships per team and less regulation of football preparation.

Every conference should be made to have 12 member institutions. For the PAC10, Big 10(11) they should add teams that will strengthen the conference overall. There should be a championship game in each conference. That right there would serve almost like a psuedo-playoff, in that you would have to win on the field your conference, but it would give some leeway to the BCS formula which includes SOS, computer polls and the USA Today poll. Teams wouldn't be able to coast anticipating they would be in the top 8 or even 4, you would preserve the bowl system to large degree and teams would have to win it on the field.

This will also silence the cries of inequity among SEC and Big12 fans as it is a realistic fear of SEC and Big12 teams that a team can be left out if USC and Ohio State go undefeated in a particular year, even if they play few teams who should give them a challenge.

Then, the BCS should have the strength of schedule weight made larger in the formula. They have currently weakened SOS.

And finally the rule of 85 should be rescinded. There is a false parity in college football. The rule of 85 means a great team can lose to a bad team any given saturday because of fluke injuries and lack of depth. It levels the playing field, but it does it the wrong way because its also the rule of 85 which forces Universities to spend 30 mil on stadiums and weight rooms and 4 mil a year on the best coaches money can buy. UAB cant afford that, but Bama can. Thats not fair, but Bama in this instance is only doing what it can do to get an advantage.

Practice regulations should also be eased up. Right now coaches are limited in the amount of time they can spend with their kids. Coaches are mentors, if they had more ability to spend time not only would you see the re-emergence of complicated and intricate college offenses like the wishbone and ND box, but kids would not get in as much trouble. AND, for small schools that really wanted to put in the effort so that they could get a great program they could hire work-a-holic coaches which would coach their players until they were mistake free.

Cause right now the NCAA has overregulated so many of the wrong facets of the game (scholarships, meetings and practice time, you can't beat your players with a lead pipe anymore, ect) that the only way to win for sure on a consistent basis is to buy facilities to get recruits, buy coaches who can recruit and if that dont work, buy players (yes, the rule of 85 even gives backward incentive to do that). Hard work is limited to a few practices a week on campus (no more Junction cities where they make men out of boys). The mental aspects of the game are diminished - offenses, resemble flag football Os where you put you fastest guy at QB and spread the field. College football is the greatest game on earth because you have students, some with talent and some with guts, meshing together to form teams. These teams should be drilled until they go numb, then drilled more until they find their second wind as men. They should meet on saturdays september through January, and on each saturday they should have to fight to stay alive for the national championship. That is my vision of college football, and that is why I take it as a personal affront when anybody suggests a foolish idea that I know will harm it. Its already been hurt enough, lets make things better again.
Old 10-04-08, 04:20 PM   #1107
will crask
BassFishin.Com Member

All i can say is watch out for the dawg pound

goooooooo dawgs!!!!!
will crask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 04:33 PM   #1108
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Nother subject, another post;

that is why I take it as a personal affront when anybody suggests a foolish idea that I know will harm it. .
You just don't know when to quit. The vast majority of the college football fandom (the people who spend the $$$ that keeps the whole thing going...you may have heard of them...if you've shut up long enough.) are in favor of at least testing a playoff system. Are they ALL fools?
I didn't even state a desire for such a plan but you called me names and hurled insults simply because I dared to OBJECTIVELY discuss pros and cons re a playoff system.
You can't post on this or any other subject without launching barbs at anyone who isn't among the "Passionate" devotees of your personal preference.
Yeah, right..."Foolish"..."I (the Great Professor Know-it-all) know will harm it." Oh, for Heaven's sake! It's only a game...A GAME! The outcome of any of which will in no way affect the spin of the Earth on it's axis.
If you must come across as a pompous, all-knowing, *** then why not just tell us that anyone who won't vote for Osama bin Obama is a heartless racist even if the guy may be the death of America.

As for your siggy:
I seriously doubt "Papa", whom I was privileged to *meet more than once in the old Balboa (Panama) Yacht Club days, could consume enough booze to be able to stomach you.
BTW, re his name? It's "Hemingway"...ONE "m" only. Of course, I'm sure he'd have gladly had it officially changed rather than risk your wrath.

LOOK OUT! Here comes the tiny fist! (I hope the foam oozing from your mouth doesn't ruin your Fisher-Price keyboard.)

Lancer6
Who THOUGHT a lesson had been learned. Alas...

*As well as Zane Grey, Robert Ruark, and a few other great sportsmen. Key word: "Sportsmen".
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 07:41 PM   #1109
WTL

Its been 2 days. Let it go.
Old 10-04-08, 08:23 PM   #1110
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I accept your capitulation and suggest this purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Man-Boy-Ro.../dp/0805002391

Great stuff.

Close call for the Tide. Wow!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 08:32 PM   #1111
WTL

Yea, it was a close one. People around here are shocked to find out that we arent the Steelers.

After I get done writing my book about how I am always right and you should just give up, I'll send you a link to it on amazon. Till then, toodles...
Old 07-15-09, 12:06 PM   #1112
flbassman

Who's ready for some football? This guy is.
Old 07-15-09, 11:27 PM   #1113
bamabassman

ok....gotta ask ya hose man, you a gater? cuz if you is.........WE got's lots of bone picking to do dis year, hahahahahahahha. and yea....... i am ready for it.
Old 07-16-09, 12:28 AM   #1114
WTL

I was fixing to bring this thread back. Great minds, great minds...
Old 07-16-09, 06:07 PM   #1115
zooker

oh boy the alabama problem...having been in the ncaa-big ten(then)-football program.i agree with bamabassman on certain things..as i told bama last evening had they caught just ONE football player using his sponsership money to buy some one else's books. the same amount of stink would have risen..

alabama football has a long history of shaddy dealings..the banning of play by the ncaa several years ago prove this..these players should have been fully aware that the ncaa is watching the alabama football program with a microscope...stupid is as stupid does..

but as bama pointed out and i agree.you take joe bob plowboy out of the cotten feild and chunk money at him to go to alabama to play football.
you basicly turn a goober grabber into a star-this sh!t goes straight to there frikkin head-belive me i have been there,seen it.. as most exjocks will tell ya. in collage your brain has three thoughts, football,tail,and beer..
my sign on bonus money was $8k and a new mustang back in 1991....
i am not sure what kind of sponsership cash the big insution's are hunking at the players now..but i would bet it is $20k or more a year plus a ride...

collage football has ALWAYS been about the money ALWAYS will be..

i have just two questions who is going to be the suprise underdawg this year? like app over mich last year..

and just who is the ecu pirates goin to make look BAD??

Quote:
I was fixing to bring this thread back. Great minds, great minds...
ya got ta got your head out your but afore you can use it brotha love...

zooker
Old 07-16-09, 06:16 PM   #1116
WTL

Zooker, in regards to the textbook deal at UA, you don't know what you are talking about. I am the only one, so far as I know, who has bought books through the supplystore at UA. I know how the system runs and what happened, and it was a big fat nothing. A clerical oversight. The end.
Old 07-19-09, 08:51 AM   #1117
Cipinsef
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Who is ready for some football

thats cool. im going to bed so i wont be back on until some time in the afternoon. so for now i guess we can say the sale is pending.
Cipinsef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 01:43 PM   #1118
bamabassman

sale? what sale? hahahahahahahahha.
Old 07-22-09, 05:55 PM   #1119
flfireman

Urban is fillin up the swamp as we speak. Time to start throowin the GATOR bait in for feedin time. ITS GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pick them bones, we can use them to clean our teeth afterwards.
Old 08-06-09, 06:07 PM   #1120
Jim80

Man my 49ers are getting jerked around by their draft pick who thinks he should be paid more than the guy that was drafted before him , the nightmare of a season starts now , this douche bag is even threatening to sit this season out and reenter the draft next year .

Jim
Old 08-06-09, 07:03 PM   #1121
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Man my 49ers are getting jerked around by their draft pick who thinks he should be paid more than the guy that was drafted before him , the nightmare of a season starts now , this douche bag is even threatening to sit this season out and reenter the draft next year .

Jim
And they thought my Raiders were stupid for passing on this prima donna... Crabtree is an arrogant punk
Old 08-07-09, 12:36 AM   #1122
MississippiBoy

I don't think this thread will ever die...it'll go into dormancy in late winter, only to be revived again in late summer...
Old 08-07-09, 12:50 AM   #1123
woody

I know that the Indianapolis Colts had better fill the gaps in their run defense this year.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 03:41 PM   #1124
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I live with the Rebels, but I like the Gators. I don't really care about what happens on Sundays though. It just fills the void between morning & evening church.
Old 08-07-09, 08:04 PM   #1125
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
And they thought my Raiders were stupid for passing on this prima donna... Crabtree is an arrogant punk
No offense, but your raiders are still stupid, even if crabtree is a punk.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.