Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-06, 07:07 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Busting Style of fishing

You may or may not have seen the BASS Capitol Chalenge on TV so I decided to share the revelation the pros learned. During high tide the grass mats float up and mushroom on the surface. The pros where using a "busting" technique with a flipping stick and 50lb brais. The weight is pegged and about an 1 ozs to a 1.5 ozs. A 5/0 wide gap hook and a craw bait. Tail cut down to shorten profile. Theytake the lure at a short distance and bust right thru the grass floating on the top and yoyo the lure below the matted grass. Several pros this weekend in FLW tour used the same style. The winner of FLW pro side used this style to win. Some of the amatures where lost due lack of proper setups. So they just netted fish for the pros.

Cool technique that I will have to try soon as I find 1 to 2 ozs bullet weights.

Capt Mike
Old 08-21-06, 08:02 AM   #2
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yep I saw that......

kelly jordan took the tournament....
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:07 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use that technique a lot here in Florida. Not only just for mats, but any very heavy vegetation. I try to use the lightest weight needed to get through it. Sometimes a 3/4 oz will work, sometimes a 1 1/2 oz is needed. That is where the bass will hold up during the day a lot. I didn't get to see the tourney, but good to know others use this technique as well. But if you find wood with the vegetation, work the area over twice as much.

Lizards
Old 08-24-06, 06:10 PM   #4
JB

lizards,
I can imagine the "learing curve' you've had to go through for fla. fishing compared to good ol indianer'
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:18 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
lizards,
I can imagine the "learing curve' you've had to go through for fla. fishing compared to good ol indianer'
It has been pretty big, but I sure have enjoyed it, and also had some good success Luckily I had fished down here probably 6-7 times before I moved, so I had some kind of idea. I would fish on top of the mats back in Hoosierland, and have a bunch of luck, and exciting fishing with the bass exploding up through it. That technique hasn't been very successful for me down here at all.

Lizards
Old 08-24-06, 06:22 PM   #6
JB

What technique is your favorite for fla. fishing and was it the same for up here in the midwest..I know bass are bass, but the trick is learning to fish in a new enviroment....
You counted on Lizards up here on the pits, were you disappointed in thier performance down there or surprise that lure works well too?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:34 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
What technique is your favorite for fla. fishing and was it the same for up here in the midwest..I know bass are bass, but the trick is learning to fish in a new enviroment....
You counted on Lizards up here on the pits, were you disappointed in thier performance down there or surprise that lure works well too?
The two techniques that have been consistant here, and up there, have been 1.flukes, twitched 2. Weightless plastics. My favorite is always topwater, but I have had very, very little success down here, compared to farther north And yes lizards work down here just as well, but weightless has been the ticket. I have caught most of the Hawg's in the thick vegetation or at least right next to it, with wood. I have had absolutley no luck fishing open water here, but the c-rig has done OK on points, and humps(when I can find humps LOL).

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.