Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-06, 06:56 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Carolina rig suggestions

Believe it or not, for all the fishing I've done in my life I've never used a carolina rig before. I'm planning to experiment with it this comming weekend and see what all the hype is about. Have a few questions. Whats your most common way of utilizing this rig? The lakes around here are fairly weedy untill you go deep. Do you cast and retrieve or let the wind drift your boat along with the rig behind like walleye fisherman do on lake Erie? When you detect a strike, how long do you wait to set the hook? Whats your favorite lure for this rig? I'm planning on useing a few different colored salamanders to start with. Any suggestions would be mighty appreciated.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 10:29 AM   #2
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For plastics, lizards, big curly tailed worms, or my favorite is a red shad trick worm by zoom. I would rig up at least 5 different length leaders before you go, and experiment with them. I use 20lb big game, with a gamakatzu 3/0 hook for most of my leaders. You have to watch your line very carefully, and when you think you have a bite, do a sweep hookset. I learned very quickly that with an upward snap, you'll either hurt the fish badly, or jerk it out of there mouth. Try different length leaders, I use 1 foot all the way to 3.5 feet.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 11:36 AM   #3
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

For plastic's I use a junebug zoom trickworm.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 07:20 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Keith, I've had the best luck fishing them deeper along the edges of the weeds. This time of year I've had the best success fishing a frenchfry, either baby bass or watermelon seed.

Set the hook like you would any other soft plastic except a sweep of the rod to the side seems to work better than an overhead set like you do on a T-rig.

Dragging a C-rig across a point is a great tactic, especially in deeper water.

I have a little different setup than most folks-I like to use a Lindy Rattlin' No-Snagg sinker:

I fish a lot of rocky lakes and it slides through both rocks and weeds pretty easily not getting hung up.
Old 08-22-06, 07:24 PM   #5
JB

reb thats a nice set up, around here most use a lizard to c-rig, I always have stuck with a 4 inch centipede or french fry, in junebug
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 07:34 PM   #6
zooker

i hate fishing a c-rig. but if it is working which it is this year i will use it..

hear the bass are on cranks-finally- at the ole mudhole.. dam i want to go fishing..

zooker
Old 08-22-06, 07:39 PM   #7
JB

kinda is too boring huh zook?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 06:17 AM   #8
keithdog

Ok, now I always read about using a weight of 1/2 oz. or heavier. What about using the rig while fishing from shore? Would you not go with say a 1/4 oz weight or less in such shallow water?
Old 08-23-06, 09:22 AM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Default Potomac style of C-Rig

Three foot flourocarbon leader in 20 lb test. Straight shank gami 4/0 hook. Swivel any size will work but bigger is better. Build leader and connect swivel with palomer knots. Slide 1/2 oz steel bullet weight up 50 lb braided line then add plastic bead. Good side bead not no little smaller than a pea bead.. I like to disasemble my kids fake pearls from dress up case. "Oh you say your missing some plastic jewlery" must be a cat burgler..

Long 7 foot rod and spinning reel or baitcaster. Zoom camilion lizards or pumkinseed fire tail. I use 100 packs each season.

Capt Mike
Old 08-23-06, 09:24 AM   #10
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Ok, now I always read about using a weight of 1/2 oz. or heavier. What about using the rig while fishing from shore? Would you not go with say a 1/4 oz weight or less in such shallow water?
It really helps to cover the bottom and cast further..

Capt Mike
Old 08-23-06, 01:53 PM   #11
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been C Rigging for about 12 or more years. The lindy sinker that JB recomends is the way to go.Edspecially the ones that rattle. That sinker will come through about anything with out a hang up. The bait can be a lot of things. I use lizards,craws, worms,french fry, Fluke Jr,senkos. It all depends on the fish. This time of yearsd if the bass are feeding on hatchling bait I like the centipede or fry if they are feeding on bigger bait i like the fluke Jr.
This rig is designed to feed on suspended fish. The length of your leader ,the size of your hook and the bouyancey of the bait are all big factors. Many times in the late summer when the fish are holding at 20 to 30 feet of water I will use a sinker as long as 40 inches with a 1.0 hook.to allow the bait to float higher off the bottom. If you use a 12 to 18 inch leader you might as well be throwing a Texas rig. This rig is not a replacement for the T rig. It is another weapon altogether. Fish2win
Old 08-23-06, 04:01 PM   #12
ROBZILLA

" The Carolina Rig is an extremely popular, and effective way to rig for bass. Just about any soft plastic can be used when Carolina rigging. A Mizmo 4" Big Boy or 2.75" Bass/Walleye Teaser both work well, as do the Mizmo Quiver Stix and Diamond Craws. The Carolina rig is basically a glorified Texas rig with a few additions. Before we get started we need to cut off a piece of line, usually between 12" & three feet long, depending on the application & what you are comfortable with. Next, we need to pick out our weight and noise makers. I usually use a brass or tungsten slip sinker followed by a couple of brass or glass beads. Brass and tungsten are generally preferred over traditional lead weights because they are harder and transmit sound better than lead. Thread the weight and beads onto the line and tie a barrel or crane swivel on the end. Now, take the piece of line that you cut off and tie it onto the other end of the swivel. The length of the line is important; too short and the bass will react behind the tube; too long and, besides being more difficult to cast, the bass could lose interest before the bait makes it there (this is another one of those times when practice pays off, but it won't take long to figure out what length works best for you). Now, just tie on your favorite hook and rig with your plastic bait of choice and your ready to start fishing."

" The Carolina rig is used mainly for two different applications. The first is for finding fish in an area in which you believe fish are holding. This setup offers both sound and visual stimuli, therefore, the Carolina rig needs to be worked in as many key areas as possible. One can drag the Carolina rig on the bottom to look for fish holding close to the bottom. The rig works by bumping up against stumps and sunken structure to let the fish know that something is coming. Once they are attracted to the area the lure is pulled right into the strike zone. Once you feel the weight bump the structure, use a series of quick, short jerks to make as much noise as possible. After a few seconds, pull the weight over the structure and get ready. This brings us to the other application of the Carolina Rig, which is actually finding hidden structure. When you have found a hidden brush pile or a stump in the middle of open water or on a flat, fish it a few time with the Carolina rig. If you don't have any success, be sure to try a Texas rig in the same area to give a more finesse presentation. When you have bumped something with your Carolina Rig, be sure to stop and let the bait sit still for a few seconds to let the bass come over and see what the movement is and when you move the rig again be ready for the strike. Bas are opportunistic feeders and will strike just to make sure this tasty meal doesn't get away. Once the bass has taken the bait be sure to let the fish pull against you. When the fish pulls you down, you can be sure that the bass has the lure completely in its mouth, making for a good hook set. If you try to set the hook before the bass pulls against you, you will probably pull the bait away from the fish, and unless she just really wants to chase it (which, if the bass got a good taste of " The EDGE", she probably will chase it all the way to the live well, but if not), she will leave without giving you another opportunity for a clean hook set. Remember, patience is the key. The bass should let you know when the time is right, but if your not sure, wait. Also, if things get really tough, downsize to a bait with a smaller profile. Sometimes those lazy bass prefer something smaller, that won't put up as much of a fight. At 2.75", the Teaser is perfect for these situations. If you have any questions about Carolina rigging, or any other fishing topic, e-mail one of the Mizmo staff, and we'll be glad to help. Good fishing ! "
Old 08-23-06, 04:09 PM   #13
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

If any body else ask's about carolina riging I am refering them to that post.Great post zilla!
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 08:07 PM   #14
zooker

i know for a fact that there is 2 members on here that dislike brass weights on a c-rig. i am only 1 of them..

zooker
Old 08-24-06, 06:47 AM   #15
keithdog

Great info here and I really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch guys. Can't wait to get out to try this out. What about shallow water of say less than 8 feet? Is it of much use there? And if so, what kind of changes in the rig and technique would there be?
Old 08-24-06, 10:01 AM   #16
Vabass22

Short answer: yes it can be effective in shallow water. You would want to tie up a shorter leader, and fish it faster. AT least thats what I've been taught, but the oppositer might work for you.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:55 PM   #17
zooker

leader lenth can be debated for years. but in general terms early in the year i go with 18" leader and later in the year 36" leader. in rubble /rock bottoms i use a 1/2 oz egg sinker as the blunt nose hops over rocks without digging in and hanging up like narrow nosed sinkers... in grass an egg sinker has a tough time fighting with weeds i rig two 1/4oz bullet sinkers -rigged yin yang- split by a bead and followed by a bead prior to the swivel..3/0-4/0 ewg hooks

zooker
Old 08-24-06, 07:15 PM   #18
lizardsrule

WOW, some great info on here. A couple of things I do however is use a Mojo weight when fishing in weedy areas, they go through the vegetation better. I also will use a 1/4 oz if possible, I feel the lighter bites(that doesn't mean smaller fish though) easier with the lighter weight. I agree with Reb, that a sweeping sidearm hookset works better IMO. And the floating baits or more bouyant as already eluded to are better IMO. I use all kinds of baits, from flukes, lizards, worms, and sometimes a 4" worm is the ticket. Again great posts fellow, wish they all were this good LOL.

Lizards
Old 08-24-06, 07:42 PM   #19
keithdog

What exactly is a Mojo wieght? Never heard of that before?
Old 08-24-06, 07:50 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
What exactly is a Mojo wieght? Never heard of that before?
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Mojo is a particular brand of these. Couldn't find them on BPS, however these are the style. One other tip, when fishing in weedy areas, be sure to slowly drag it, don't hop it.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.