Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-11, 02:35 PM   #1
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Topwater frog... Setting the hook

I love the Spro frogs. I have the presentation down, can hit a pretty small target and am fairly mediocre at skipping them. However, I miss probably 50-75% of the bites on a given day. I wait until the fish sucks it in and takes it under, set the hook and WHAM... frog pops to the top and I miss the fish. Then I put my gear in the car, cry and leave. Just kidding... What am I doing wrong? I dont have that problem with any other lure or hook I have tried. Just the frog. Any advice is much appreciated. Awesome site btw.
Old 06-29-11, 03:03 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Waiting is the hardest thing. It'll be tough, but try to wait until you can feel the fish on the line. Don't go by a count of 3 or whatever, but wait till you feel it, then set the hook HARD...picture yourself trying to launch the fish out of the water and into the boat.
Are you using a long, stout rod and braided line? If not, I'd definitely do this. The long, stiff rod will let you get the fish's head up and out of the cover quickly, and the braid will help with the strong hookset.
Old 06-29-11, 03:25 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Missed fish is a cruel reality of frog fishing. They get a lot of bites but you miss a lot of bites too, however todays frogs have better hookup percentages than frogs of yesteryear. You can do a few things to increase your odds of sticking fish with frogs; like Daniel said braid and a heavy rod are the biggest ingredients in a high hook up percentage with a frog, also you can help youself a lot by taking a pair of pliers and bending the hooks open just a hair, one more trick is to take two pairs of pliers and stretch the plastic body of the frog several times until it gets soft. The softer the body the better it will collapse and clear the hooks when you get a bite.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 03:37 PM   #4
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I am using a MH crucial with a curado caster and 15 lb p-line flouroclear. There are some lilly pads and weeds in the local lakes/ ponds, but nothing worth using a H action and braid for. At least not that I can get to from the shore. I wait until I know the fish has taken the frog under, but I still seem to miss the set.
Old 06-29-11, 04:37 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Have you tried the SPRO Popper Frog? I used it recently with a lot of sucess, it's much softer than a lot of their other products and easily collapses for better hookups. It's a lot of practice too, but a big problem for me was putting too much slack in the line, once I adjusted my tension and was aware of how much slack I had in the line it helped land more fish. I would play around with you're adjustments and make sure you are using a long enough rod to create the correct angle for a proper hookset, if you have a shorter rod you are more likely to be pulling it directly out of the mouth instead of up into their upper jaw...just some food for thought
Old 06-29-11, 04:41 PM   #6
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
I am using a MH crucial with a curado caster and 15 lb p-line flouroclear. There are some lilly pads and weeds in the local lakes/ ponds, but nothing worth using a H action and braid for. At least not that I can get to from the shore. I wait until I know the fish has taken the frog under, but I still seem to miss the set.
When you say that you "miss the set", if you mean that the fish is never hooked, then you are probably still not waiting long enough. Do you actually feel the fish, because it can take a frog under without getting the hooks into its mouth. This is also where the braid issue comes into play; 15lb flouroclear is not as sensative as braid, nor does it allow for as strong of a hookset, because of the stretch factor. I say this as a flouroclear fan; I love the line, just not for frogging. I would suggest both making yourself wait till you are sure you feel the fish on the line AND trying braid. I fish lily pads in two very clear lakes, so I use a 5' 15lb flouroclear leader most of the time: long enough for me to have confidence, short enough so the stretch is not going to be a factor in the sensativity or the hookset.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 05:21 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
The reasoning for braided line and a heavy rod isn't just for weeds and pads. It's also because of the increased hook up power that comes with a heavy rod and braided line, which is a major bonus in frog fishing.

Also flourocarbon line will sink and affect the action of the frog. Braid will float so you will get a better action out of the frog with braided line than you will with flourocarbon. I hate braid and I prefer flourocarbon for almost all applications, however there are a few places that braid is a better fit than flourocarbon..............and frog fishing is one of them.
Old 06-29-11, 08:06 PM   #8
keithdog

All the advice above is very sound. Definately switch to braid. I'd also go with a heavy extra fast action rod, at least 7 foot. I had hookup averages similar to yours for years. Last year I purchased a true froggin setup. It's a Garcia Revo with 50 pound braid mounted on a 7'3" H/XF Garcia Vendetta rod. I can honestly tell you that since then, I have had only two missed hookups with a frog. Just a note, the hoollow poppin Spro frog that Jason mentioned has proven to be a real winner for me as well. Hookups for whatever reason are fast and solid. I think it may be the narrower body style leaving less plastic to get in the way. And as mentioned before, slowwww down on the hookset. I can usually see the line moving and feel the weight of the bass at the other end before I set that hook HARD.
Old 06-29-11, 08:19 PM   #9
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I might not be waiting long enough before I set the hooks. I can feel the fish, but I didn't think about the hooks not being in it's mouth. I know my set-up isn't exactly perfect for frogging. For right now I might have to settle for an extra spool and some braid. At least until I can afford the 7'6'' HF that I have had my eye on. Thanks to everybody for the input! I might have to check out this popper too. Sounds like it might fit my application a little bit better

Little back story... My name is Zach, I'm 22, have been fishing for years, but I was always the worm and bobber type. Until this season when I decided to step my game up. I have the 6'6'' Crucial MH described above and the 6'6'' M Crucial spinning set up.
Old 06-29-11, 08:48 PM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
I might not be waiting long enough before I set the hooks. I can feel the fish, but I didn't think about the hooks not being in it's mouth. I know my set-up isn't exactly perfect for frogging. For right now I might have to settle for an extra spool and some braid. At least until I can afford the 7'6'' HF that I have had my eye on. Thanks to everybody for the input! I might have to check out this popper too. Sounds like it might fit my application a little bit better

Little back story... My name is Zach, I'm 22, have been fishing for years, but I was always the worm and bobber type. Until this season when I decided to step my game up. I have the 6'6'' Crucial MH described above and the 6'6'' M Crucial spinning set up.
Man I wish I were 22 again!!! hahahaha You have two really great rods there pal. I love the Crucial rods! Glad you joined the site. Try that popper and let us know how it works out for ya.
Old 06-29-11, 08:51 PM   #11
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I wanted to start right and I figure you buy once... cry once. This is the best site I have found in the couple of months I have been looking. The popper is next on the list and so is that 7'6'' H with braid. *Threadjack* Now to figure out a reel to go with that new rod. Any ideas fellas? */Threadjack*

I love the curado E7 that I put on the MH. Maybe another one of those?
Old 06-29-11, 09:21 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I wanted to start right and I figure you buy once... cry once. This is the best site I have found in the couple of months I have been looking. The popper is next on the list and so is that 7'6'' H with braid. *Threadjack* Now to figure out a reel to go with that new rod. Any ideas fellas? */Threadjack*

I love the curado E7 that I put on the MH. Maybe another one of those?
For reels you are going to get a ton of different suggestions. Big Bassin will recommend something in the Diawa line up, Bubba Bruiser will tell you it has to be a Curado, I will tell you that it's got to be a Revo, and the list goes on and on lol. Honestly there are so many good reels out there that it just comes down to what feels good to you. I will say though that for a frog rod I would get a high speed reel, something with a gear ratio in the 7.1:1 neighborhood to allow you go pick up slack if a fish starts swimming at you after blowing up on your frog.
Old 06-29-11, 09:28 PM   #13
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Good call on the gear ratio. Hadn't thought about that. I have a feeling that although I love this site my wallet is not. haha

Edit: What is better for a H action rod, a fast or extra fast tip?

Last edited by Z-Man; 06-29-11 at 09:44 PM.
Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 10:21 PM   #14
bamabassman

mork one up for the bait monkey pal he is the one that makes oyu buy better and MORE fishing stuff.

if oyu are using this rod JUST for frogging, i would go with a heavy action rod PERIOD. no fast tip or medium tip. jsut my worthless 2 cents.
Old 06-29-11, 10:35 PM   #15
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Im a fan of multi-use equipment and because Im lazy and dont want to drag 18 rods around with me. It would be a froggin/ pitchin/ flippin rod. I can honestly say that the monkey has given me rabies or something because I cant do anything without thinking about or saying screw it and going fishing.
Old 06-29-11, 10:45 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
mork one up for the bait monkey pal he is the one that makes oyu buy better and MORE fishing stuff.

if oyu are using this rod JUST for frogging, i would go with a heavy action rod PERIOD. no fast tip or medium tip. jsut my worthless 2 cents.
John there is a difference between the power of a rod and the action of a rod. The power in this case would be heavy and the action would be either fast or extra fast. I personally would get a heavy rod with a fast action because the fast action will have a little softer tip which will allow you to cast better and also help you walk the frog a little easier.
Old 06-29-11, 10:46 PM   #17
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all of the help guys. Guess its time to start saving those pennies.
Old 06-30-11, 10:10 AM   #18
3dkicker

Z - one question! Have you seen the fish that you are setting the hook on???? Are they 2lb bass or better??? Reason why is that small bass are known to grab the skirts or tails and take the frog under. They suck it off the surface, you feel them running with the bait, and you set the hook and......nothing. Small bass do this all the time.

If you know that they're good fish then I'd make a change. Med heavy rods and braid are the ticket with this type of fishing. I'd start with the line change first....much cheaper!!!!
Old 06-30-11, 11:56 AM   #19
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

The good majority of them no. I have seen a few of the ones I have missed and they appeared to be decent size. The reason spot fishing is so hard, at least in NE Ohio, is the water is always some shade of brown depending on the light.
Old 06-30-11, 04:05 PM   #20
DaveW731

Smile Making Carolina's point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
For reels you are going to get a ton of different suggestions. Big Bassin will recommend something in the Diawa line up, Bubba Bruiser will tell you it has to be a Curado, I will tell you that it's got to be a Revo, and the list goes on and on lol. Honestly there are so many good reels out there that it just comes down to what feels good to you. I will say though that for a frog rod I would get a high speed reel, something with a gear ratio in the 7.1:1 neighborhood to allow you go pick up slack if a fish starts swimming at you after blowing up on your frog.
Wow! I actually go with a LOWER gear ratio, because I think they stand up better to the strain of such heavy duty cranking. Never had a problem keeping up with the line with my 5.1:1 ratio reel in the stuff I fish in.
To each his own, I am by no means an expert.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 06:48 PM   #21
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Maybe I will just go with another 6.4 Curado. It seems to handle some tough cranking with the 15 lb. flouro. Keep the opinions coming guys! This is all awesome stuff
Old 07-01-11, 11:44 AM   #22
3dkicker

If they are good fish then your rod and line aren't matched correctly and you aren't getting the hook into the fish. Make a change on the line type and try braid.
Old 07-01-11, 03:40 PM   #23
bamabassman

kory.i stand corrected pal. THANK YOU. yes i agree, i was in a hurry and messed up. oyu are correct in the ACTION of the frogging rod. mine is the same. i am trying to cram in my info too fast pal. sorry.
Old 07-02-11, 01:33 PM   #24
mrmuskie5

60# braid, flippin stick, fast retrieve reel, trim the legs of the frog till they are about 2" long, weight the butt with a rattle and pull mister big lips in the boat. good luck brother.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 11:58 PM   #25
Lvitch

Your gonna miss some fish on that type of frog . It will just happen. It sucks. Lots of good suggestions, heavy rod and braid are at the top of the list. Gear ratio I could care less about unless I'm burning it (7:1). Bending the hooks out a bit is a big + also. One thing I didn't see mentioned was to add a stinger hook to the top of the frog. Use a 4/0 or 5/0 straight shank hook, feed it in the nose and out the center of the back of the frog, you can use an ewg style hook also. Line up the line ties (a toothpick works great) and either solder the stinger hook to the dual hook In there, or wrap them together with wire . I do both. Those frogs land on their belly 99% of the time so it usually dosent hurt the frog being weedless much, but who cares with braid. You should stick about 90% of the fish after that your welcome

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.