Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-06, 04:35 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New approaches

New Approaches
I was out fishing the other day and I was not having much luck with a regular bulleted Texas Rigged plastic worm. I managed to catch a few smaller bass within the hour, but nothing spectacular. It was late afternoon, and the weather seemed to be going real well in bass fishing terms. It was 7:00pm on a cloudy day and could not pull in any decent sized fish from my favourite bass pond. I soon decided to try a different approach to the pond. I took off my bullet weight and kept the worm on my line with no weight other than the hook and the 6inch plastic worm itself. I threw the lure out there, and slowly watched it sink to the bottom, almost motionless. After a few seconds, I gave it a little twitch and let it rest again, BAM, pulled in the biggest fish of the day and could hardly believe it. I fished for another hour this way and managed to double the weight and amount of fish I caught the previous hour. When I got home I started thinking about why I had so much luck with this naked worm rig and came to a few conclusions. Firstly, being near the end of the day and cloudy, the fish were beginning to inch out of the thick weed cover in search of food. The water was gin clear and the bass could easily see with plenty of time the purple worm falling in front of their noses, instead of quickly getting it down into the thick stuff which I was doing earlier. I am quite positive this is the reason I got more numbers in bass, because if the bass cannot see the lure, they cannot bite it, especially since it was a finesse lure with no noise making abilities. Another reason I believe this lure produced so well is because it was something different that they are used to. In a small bass pond, the bass have seen many of the lures that are popular with fishermen, and become more picky with what they eat. Seeing this slow moving worm horizontally moving through the water just turned them right on. This could be another reason for the amount of fish caught and an even bigger reason for the larger sized bucketmouth's.
So next time you are fishing a popular pond, try something different than usual, and maybe give this rig a try.
Old 08-23-06, 04:41 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

its always rewarding and a real "confidence boost" when you go out with a lure you've never caught fish on , and keep working it till you get a bass!
nice article
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 04:44 PM   #3
flbassman

Like this one a lot. A weightless worm can be killer. Only thing I don't like is trying to keep in touch with the bait.
Old 08-23-06, 08:53 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Weightless worms are great. Im glad you had good luck with them.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 08:58 PM   #5
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

one time I was talking with a woman bass fisher and she said that a lot of people throw big 12 inch worms down at Lake of the O on a t rig which I knew but she fishes them weightless like a senko sorta around the docks and does pretty well.......thanks for reminding me rob to give that a shot!
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 10:07 AM   #6
Vabass22

I love weightless plastics, only time I weight them is on a jighead, or with a bullet sinker, or splitshot in the weeds.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 05:07 PM   #7
ironman

Send a message via AIM to ironman

I love to use weight less lizard's over lilypad's while giving it little jerk's.It work's great.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:16 PM   #8
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
Like this one a lot. A weightless worm can be killer. Only thing I don't like is trying to keep in touch with the bait.
thats my biggest problem...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:17 PM   #9
ironman

What part??
Old 08-24-06, 06:20 PM   #10
JB

weightless 'erms means having to watch the line all the time, something I do any method but the agonizing slow fall of weightless (much like a senko) can be difficult, but hey, we aren't' on the time clock now are we...whats the hurry...the rewards can pay dividends on days that the bass want a slow descend
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:21 PM   #11
ironman

I run them across the top instead of leting them sink.
Old 08-24-06, 06:25 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Good analysys, but if I may, how about just because it was slower, and more natural in the fall, that that was what made a bigger difference than just them starting to come out for the night feed. Sometimes weightless plastics is the only thing that will work for me. The bait has a more natural motion, and needless to say "STAYS IN THE STRIKE ZONE LONGER". Also bigger bass IMO have less of a tendancy to chase faster baits, especially during the summer. They are always looking for a easy meal.

flbassman,

This is a technique that really requires you to be a line watcher, and slowly lift the bait to feel that heavy feeling. If you feel it heavy or it quit dropping when it shouldn't have, set the hook.

Lizards
Old 08-24-06, 06:27 PM   #13
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
thats my biggest problem...
Quote:
What part??
keeping in contact..sometimes the worm feels so light, i cant tell when the line is as tight as can be...
Old 08-24-06, 06:28 PM   #14
ironman

Reel it on top istead of leting it fall. You feel the weight of the lizard ALOT more.
Old 08-24-06, 07:08 PM   #15
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Reel it on top istead of leting it fall. You feel the weight of the lizard ALOT more.
but i was talking about fishing worms at the bottom weightless..i usually use frogs and mice for what you do with the lizard...
Old 08-24-06, 07:23 PM   #16
ironman

That work's to!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.