Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-07, 09:17 PM   #1
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 2007 Stratos 294 XL

Hi fella's, I have a couple of problems that i know someone here can help me with, I've noticed that there are some very wise fishermen on here, But these problems are fairly simple, i hope anyway, I just dont want to take my boat back to the dealer just to be without it for a couple of weeks. So here are the problems.

1. Speedometer- stopped working,i know you have to take a small drillbit and using only yuor finger pressure, twist it into the clog if that is what it is. I've done this but even when the bit is in to my finger tips, approx. 1 1/2 " it is still hitting somthing, now it looks like wood that it is removing, not for certain tho. the hole i'm drilling into looks like this ( c ) the small c just not as deep as the curve, it's approx. 10" up from the nose of the lower unit. The motor is a Optimax 200 hp altho the motor looks like it is twice the size of a 225 Merc, oh by the way the motor is a 2006. first am i drilling the rite hole, and if so just how deep is it.

2. Bildge Pumps- the very 1st time the auto bildge pump came on, it would not shut off period, not when the water was gone, not when the switch was turned off, not when the main power switch was turned off.
the only thing i thought of was to cut the wire, I know that was not the smartest thing, ok it was pretty stupid, i should have just unhooked it from the battery, had i really thought , thats what i would have done. now i dont remember for sure that it came on by itself or if i was trying it out to make sure it worked, so im not sure if it was the auto or the manual pump, all i know is it still wont go off and the light on the switch wont go out either, I cured the light problem for now, i just unhooked from the back of the switch.

if you can help me with these problems, I would greatly appriciate it. Thanx in advance
Old 08-17-07, 10:23 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1. I don't know that motor, but generally when you are using a drill it is just to free the debris around the opening of the hole. I don't know if the hole goes that far back. If possible you can take off the hose at the other end (near the speedo) and blow compressed air through it.
2. This sounds like the float in the main bilge pump is stuck up. There are small slits on the side of the pump (if it is the same as on my 285) and maybe you can use a small screwdriver to press the float back down. If you are lucky it is just stuck on something. If you get it back down then personally I would use a hose and blast out that area with the plug out to clean any debris.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 08:15 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The first thing I will say is no matter how many times or how often you work on that speedometer, it will quit working, they suck. Get a GPS for speed, it's more accurate, and less headaches. I don't know about your auto bilge issue, other than the switch might be bad. Take it to the dealer, they should give you quick service with a brand new boat. They want a good rep, not a bad one, and both of these issues for the dealer should be quick fixes.

Lizards
Old 08-19-07, 10:42 AM   #4
zooker

i agree with lizzy here..

zooker
Old 08-19-07, 02:32 PM   #5
1FASTLASER

Glad to see ya got the RIGHT motor ( yea that was a dig ZOOKER). ZGirst off FOGET that speedo or get you a pitot speedometer and install it. Personally I would forget it,, but what I would dois put out the money for a GPS/SONAR unit. Much more dependable and keep you outta trouble. Speedo are HAPPY.....in other words give ya false readings unless you spend the money on a HIGH dollar speedo like they use on professional ski boats. Second the bilge pump is prolly no more than a STUCK float. Simple to figure out. Just dislodge it and she will be fine. The scenario you described fits that exactly.

Now for the goodies

USE OPTIMAX oil ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only using something else will void the warranty its also specially made for THAT engine.

Ifn ya have any more problems OR wanna get the optimum performance outta your package PLEASE feel free to holler. A little wrench time can do WONDERS on the boat
Old 08-19-07, 06:06 PM   #6
zooker

oh dats going to leave a mark..laser is right it matters lil what moter you have speedo's are known for being dead wrong..get a gps it will solve the problem..

now onefastrockhitter you know merc's are only good for crappie bed anchors just like i do...

zooker
Old 08-20-07, 07:05 PM   #7
1FASTLASER

Well that may be true but they make the FASTEST anchors on the water. LOL Anyways how did ya make out fishinfool
Old 08-20-07, 07:49 PM   #8
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guy's And by the way this is my first Merc. I dont know how off the speedo was when i first broke it in but it 78mph before it wanted to walk. i may have been triming to fast. & Merc oil is def. Also this dealer dont seem to care to much for their customers, i've been waiting 3 months now for a custom cover that they told me they ordered, of course its not on the Purchase Order.
Old 08-20-07, 07:53 PM   #9
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Think i'll go GPS i've been meaning to get 1 anyway, Do u know a good low cost model. And i know u get what u pay for but i can get a better 1 later.
Old 08-20-07, 07:57 PM   #10
1FASTLASER

A real good unit that I have purchased and enjoying is the M68C made by Lowrance. Does exrtremely well not only on the GPS mode but the sonar mode as well. Yes right now its 400 but you can look around and catch it onsale.
Old 08-20-07, 08:15 PM   #11
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

OH i really have'nt priced them and honestly that dont sound to bad, i thought they were a bit more. i only glace at the units at BPS n i see some pretty high dollar screens, i guess thats the sonars n stuff

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.