Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-07, 08:54 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Maintenance

Well I spent the afternoon on some needed maintenance I keep putting off so I can go fishing Well it wasn't too much work, and I should finish up the little final details of it tommorrow Following is a list of items done to my boat today.
1. Got bilge pump working. Only to have it keep not wanting to run, so tommorrow it's a new bilge pump to be installed, porbably 20 minutes tops, since it's in the open.
2. Greased trailer and motor.
3. Changed out lower unit lube.
4. Installed new light mounts for both lights, wired, them, with water sealed shrink connectors.
5. Changed plugs, after running a tank full of Seafoam through the motor. Had one of the spark plug connecteors come apart on trying to remove it, and had to make a quick run to repair shop for a 10 minute repair, for $6
7. Installed a new anchor crank, the old one was rusted out, and not working. Still have about 45 minutes of work to do, since I have to manufacture a palte on the front corner to mount the pulley systen too. Thanks to JB and him sending me a 2 not 1 aluminum plates, I will have it cut, and mounted(already measured and marked for cutting) to finish the final mounting of it.
8. Reapaired a few minor holes with aquaweld, which are above the water line, it's nice stuff for a aluminum boat, that has already gotten a few years/dings/bangs on her. It's a 1988 by the way)
9, Cleaned out cubby hole up front of lures/plastics/hooks/old fishing line/crap.

Tommorrow I will mount the new bilge pump, finish the anchor mount, and clean it her up a little. Then load up for fishing early Sunday morning since I now have my lights working again I still have a side marker llight on the trailer that somehow got broken, it was LED. I will also install that, since I bought the repalcement today, another 15 minutes tops. The reason for this post is to show folks much of the maintenance needed on your boat can be done quickly and easily by yourself. Don't think you can't do it, and remember how much you'll learn, which can come in real handy on the water, when problems arise. Instead of blowing the day loading the boat and wasting a week or so waiting on it to be repaired, if you know enough about it from doing the work on it, you can usually do general repairs quickly on the water, or at least at the launch. Not to mention the $65 miniumum per hour up to $100 per hour the mechanics charge for this work. And yes I repalced trolling motrs at the ramp, and props. Plus a huge list of other minor issues I've repaired during a day of fishing. Also understand that 8 hours a day fishing is truly a short day of fishing for me. It can and does hit upwards of 12 hours a day on many occasions. What can I say, I'm addicted to fishing

Lizards
Old 09-21-07, 09:04 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

theres always more if ya need some lizards, glad ya put some yankee engineering to use!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 07:07 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

VERY WELL put Lizards. Being able to just what you stated probably saved you upwards of $200 and I dont care who you are that leads to MORE TACKLE...................Like we need it LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.