Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-10, 02:49 AM   #1
bassfix7
BassFishin.Com Member

Default the value of budget

i just bought a berkly amp series casting rod. i sat my shimano cruxis bait caster on it. its a seven foot series and im prety sure i am happy with the purchase. the sensitivity is just what id xpect and i realy like the thing they did with the seat, hhow your hand is in contactt with the blank. the guides seem a litle weak but for the price i think its a great rod over all and will do just fine for me for now. i was getting a littl over whelmed looking for just the right rod that would turn me into a champion and the prices i would find on those rods and reels. but after using this berkley ive realized that you cant buy expirience and an expensive rod wouldnt do me any better than a budget rod untill ive realy learned the difference or untill my expieerience out grew that which would make a budget rod a better fit for me. i kind of used this idea when i bought my shimano cruxis. i just wanted a bait caster so i could impress my stepdad but i figured i ought to spend less on it be cause ill probably break it in no time. however, the reel still works like a champ(and has realy been a great product) and ive built valueable expierience with it. i am now, as far as i can tell, becoming verry adept with a bait caster. i think ill continue to look for the more inexpensive equipment as i continue to grow in my angling abilities. i guess my point iis that for the novice and growing angler, such as my self, there is more value to a budget buy than dollars and sense.
i realy like the trilene trans-optic as well. i wounder if any of you would like to share any good deals on equipment youve found in your ever seeking search for equipment that youve been surpisingly pleased with.
bassfix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 07:34 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ok, well for spinning rods, I've really, really been impressed by the gander Mt. Creekside rods! Very good rods for the price! Surprisingly sensitive and light. Guides are kinda crappy, but, it's an all right rod!

Also my little bros Bill Dance Sig series has held up extremely well for him the last 6 mouths, I've took a few casts with it, and it's still real smooth, and casts all right too.
Old 05-22-10, 08:42 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've found more than my share of good deals; however, none of it on inexpensive gear. I started bass fishing (and baitcasting) about three years ago. I started with a Daiwa Procaster/Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod. After that, I made the decision to buy better gear, and just less of it. Three years later, I've got a decent arsenal, but still yearn for a couple more combos. No doubt I've have them, or more, if I had decided to go with less expensive gear.

While better tackle won't make you a better fisherman, it's something to be proud of and it makes for a more enjoyable fishing experience. But once you use high end gear, it's tough to go back.

Now, back to your original question. Recently, there have been A TON of rods by numerous manufacturers in the "Value Rod Market" These range from $70-120. These rods are better than any rod you'd have been able to get in that price range before. Some of these rods include:

Abu Garcia Vendetta
Falcon Bucoo
Shimano Compre
St Croix Mojo (although getting a little above the "value rod" price range IMO)
Wright and Mcgill Skeet Reese Tessera
BPS Carbonlite

There's lots to choose from so go play with some at your local tackle shop and see what you like the best. When you picked one out, search around on line for sales, and possibly ebay. I've gotten some good deals on ebay.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.