Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-08, 09:37 AM   #1
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady
Default need advice guys

hey my boat trailer has light issues....it seems i have brake lights, and turning signals but i have no running lights? can you please advise me on what i need to check on it to discover why all of a sudden i have no running lights????
all help is sincerely appreciated.....
by the way.....betursweetbass will be checking in on this post for me since we can't find his password at the moment....so don't think i have a split personality or worse....it's just him ........

thanks in advance
Loretta/Steve
Old 09-04-08, 10:05 AM   #2
bassintxlady

Here's what we know, it is most likely in the trailer, not the tow vehicle. We tried both our trucks and the problem is present with both trucks. We have two pig tail adapters and the problem is again present with either adapter.
So we are fairly sure it's the trailer wiring.
Are we missing anything?

Bet
Old 09-04-08, 04:56 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

check the ground...check the bolts that mount the lights to the trailer..

zooker
Old 09-05-08, 09:32 PM   #4
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

TXLADY,
It sounds like you have a loose connection or a broken wire on the running light series of your trailer. If it was a bad ground, you would be having problems with the brake and turn signals as well.
I would get one of the circuit testers that has a sharp pick on one end and a alligator clip on the other with a light that lights up when you have current. Attach the alligator clip to the bumper or trailer hitch of your tow vehicle and shove the sharp probe into the running light wiring of the trailer plug in. (Make sure the trailer is hitched up to the tow vehicle so you have a ground) If you do not have current in the trailer running light wire, then I would unplug the trailer from the tow vehicle and put the probe into the circuit on the tow vehicle that the running lights plug into, to make sure you have current thru the vehicle plug. Most times when I have tracked down a problem of this type, it is within the plug in on the boat, with a wire being broken or a corroded connection. Don't forget, every time you launch your boat this plug is under water, and corrosion is a big problem with copper wiring. If you find that this is where the problem lies, clean the wires very well and apply a coat of dielectric grease (available at most automotive parts houses) to the connections before tightening the set screws to help prevent this problem.
Actually, a person should take this plug loose, clean the wires and re-tighten the set screws every couple years to avoid these kind of problems!

JackL
Old 09-06-08, 01:19 PM   #5
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Jack. Probably a broken or nicked wire. I was fighting the same problem with my Motorcycle trailer a couple of weeks ago. I got tired of messing around and went to Wal-Mart and bought the $11.95 trailer wire pack. Took a piece of 1/2" PVC (old hose pipe will work, too) and ran through the tongue of the trailer. Ran my wires through the PVC to protect them. Made the connections and I'm done with the aggravation.

Buddy
Old 09-06-08, 05:43 PM   #6
Stinkies Daddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would check the ground also! and the vimyl hose is a good trick also. taking it a step further would be to install LED lights which i highly recomend. go to walmart in the auto sect they have them bout 40 bucks for the kit and they even have the marker lights soooooooooooooooo bout 60 bucks will pay for it. takes bout an hour to install and each light has its own ground ( sand the paint off where the grounds are to be attached, and cover w/ electric grease when attached) i have had leds for 2 years now and havnt had a lick of trouble w/ them!
Old 09-07-08, 08:55 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy_fuentes View Post
I agree with Jack. Probably a broken or nicked wire. I was fighting the same problem with my Motorcycle trailer a couple of weeks ago. I got tired of messing around and went to Wal-Mart and bought the $11.95 trailer wire pack. Took a piece of 1/2" PVC (old hose pipe will work, too) and ran through the tongue of the trailer. Ran my wires through the PVC to protect them. Made the connections and I'm done with the aggravation.

Buddy
Took the words right outta my mouth. Also Ole stinkie well he gets some credit as well. Nuttin better than a set of led lights........yes a bit more costly but look at it this way...........he's been running them for 2 years now and I have een using them for around the same time period so no problems there....the problem comes in when you are going to your favorite honey hole or to a new spot and some smart alleck cop wants to know what you are doing at that time of the morning..............DUH taking the boat for a ride cant ya see............then of course the ticket follows for the burnt out bulb.
Old 09-08-08, 09:46 AM   #8
bassintxlady

Thanks for all the replys guys, I'll consider the LED's, the main thing right now is to get the lights working of course. We want to take the ranger to the local lake this saturday, and I've got to get the lights up first. Hopefully, Ike won't get in the way of our first outting of the early fall....

Thanks again guys..

BET
Old 09-08-08, 02:10 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

White wire is not grounded from connector..

Capt Mike
Old 09-10-08, 01:00 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

Try this . . . put the trailer on the hitch and push down hard on the trailer/hitch connection. Sometimes when my trailer lights are "playing games", I do this and everything works out just fine. Seriously, try it because I think it has something to do with the ground and the ball mount "kissing" properly.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 09:24 PM   #11
bassintxlady

well it appears as if the fuse is blown on both of our trucks that is causing no running lights....i nor bet have any idea why it would do that to both of our vehicles?.......but alas....Ike is coming right into this area and so our fishing trip is on hold of course.....that's so not fair.....but we'll be hunkering down and riding it out as we all get the brunt of it here in Houston.....so keep us in your prayers and thoughts as we get this monster this weekend.....hopefully we'll get to go fishing soon......
and thanks to all of you for your replies as well......i knew all of you were smart....

bassintxlady......
Old 09-11-08, 09:47 PM   #12
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

praying for you now lady. please take care and get out if you have to. let us know how it goes and post some pics ifn you are able.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 09:22 AM   #13
Bob Smith

I being keeping all of you down there in my prayers. I also have family from Pasadena to Montgomery down there. My Mom and Dad live in Fairfield and my youngest and his family live in Tyler, so I have pretty much got all of East Texas in my prayers for now!
Old 09-13-08, 08:33 AM   #14
Jackl

TXLADY,
The fact that the fuses were blown on both of your tow vehicles leads me to believe that possibly you have a dead short in your trailer system, which blew the fuses in your tow vehicles when you hooked up the boat trailer. I would suggest that you install a new fuse and then hook up to your trailer to see if it blows the fuse again. This will tell you where you need to start looking for the problem.
JackL
Old 09-13-08, 09:58 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

TXLADY

Thats the indication I get from the dilemma you are having. Somewhere you either have a bare wire or a light going directly to ground. Again I stress that the best way to remedy is either completley rewire and reuse your present lights cleaning all grounds or get the upgrade to the newer lights. Saves money in the long run especially if a cop wants to write a ticket on no lights on tow vehicle or trailer. The whole process wont take you a couple hrs .......if you just rewire your gonna be out maybe $15 for the rewire kit and dielectric grease and a small tube of silicone. If you go with the standard new lights and rewire you will be out maybe $37......if you opt for the LED lights and I would you will be out approx $55 for lights wire and all.
Old 09-13-08, 07:53 PM   #16
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

just rewire the whole think and it will solve your problems. there are places that you can take it to get it done if you dont wanna do it your self and it probably wont cost you more than a 120 bucks. good luck
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.