Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-08, 10:20 AM   #1
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Prop ??

I have a 92 ranger 362v with a 150 merc..The ? is the hole shot seems to be a little slow but the big end flys..I have a tropy 4 blade 23 pitch..Is there a more suitable prop as the waters i fish are usually so ruff you can't run much over 4K rpm's and be comfortable?
The motor idles at 700 and stumbles some off idle like its loading up?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 06:47 PM   #2
rangerryan

i have an uncle with the same boat and motor and he has a 3 blade 24 pitch raker and it runs great he has also run a 4 blade 25 pitch renegade and he is partial to the renegade. his boat is a '91 model and it will flat out haul.

Last edited by rangerryan; 08-29-08 at 06:53 PM.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 07:02 PM   #3
Basscrazie

Thanks for some info cause i was thinking the pitch was to high.But it does haul @@@ but i haven't had the water smooth enough to let it rip,did show a jet boat that he wasn't a bad as he thought.
Old 08-30-08, 04:29 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Is it a trophy or a trophy plus. All you prolly need to do is vent that prop to help holeshot. A tropht has alot of blade surface and you gotta let that engine spoolup to get her rolling. Also what motor ya got........there was 3 150's made that year.
Old 08-30-08, 09:24 AM   #5
Basscrazie

Thats what its doing,,I got the xr6 150 merc.
Old 09-01-08, 12:41 PM   #6
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscrazie View Post
Thats what its doing,,I got the xr6 150 merc.

Ok now that I know what motor ya got thats good. We can get her going. BUT what do you mean by "Thats what its doing" I didnt understand what ya meant by this. What I said is you probably need to vent the prop (the holes in the prop barrel are maybe to small or need to be partially plugged or whatever. I assume you have the trophy plus????? or do you have the older style trophy. Lets clarify these things and I can get ya running better
Old 09-01-08, 06:59 PM   #7
Basscrazie

It just says trophy and it has the vent holes..It acts like its loading up on idle,sounds like its idling a little low but its at 700rpm.It seems to plane faster if you ease on little and increasing as the boat starts moving..I fixed the water psi today and it runs 5lbs at idle.
Thanks for the help
Old 09-01-08, 07:10 PM   #8
1FASTLASER

OK now we are getting somewhere. The very first thing I would do is a good ole shock treament of seafoam. Do a search on here as I have outlined several times on the procedure onhow to do a shock treatment and where you can get it. After doing that That should take care of the loading up on idle to an extent. Remeber you are running a carb motor. They gonna change every day a little because thee is no elecronics to change the mixture as conditions change.......ie humidity,barometric pressure etc etc...Ok after thats done now you will need to get your hands on some VERY good drill bits......ones that will drill stainless. The old style trophy just had holes and no way of changing the size of the vents. Vents do just what they say......they vent the exhaust to an extent coming out of the barrel of the prop across the blades. This allows the engine to spool up(develop enough rpms and start to bite) upon holeshot. The newer style trophys actually have plugs that you can put in and remove so you can tailor the prop to your rig. Unless you wanna buy a Trophy plus your gonna have to drill the vent holes out a little at a time until the engine upon holeshot can develop around 3500-4000 rpms. What this will do as I said will allow the engine to spoolup on its power band will it will launch your boat more efficiently. Right off the top of my head I dont recall the original size hole in the old style trophy. I will get back to you on what size bits to get to open up the vent holes to. I just got through doing my old style Raker and if you could have rode in before I opened the vent holes and ride now you would see a world of difference. I to kinda whollered around before. Now I launch like a rocket.
Old 09-01-08, 09:45 PM   #9
Basscrazie

Its making sense to me now.How much would be to much pitch?I ask cause a buddy has a 26p stiletto i think that he can't get rid of.That i would think would be to much but have never messed much on the prop end.
Old 09-02-08, 07:37 AM   #10
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Just a note 'bout tha idle. Tha XR6 is prone ta load up if ya idle very long with tha motor "tucked" all tha way in. Keepin' it level or a tad positive in relation ta tha water they seem ta do a lot better. Just remember ta tuck it in when ya get on tha gas............T
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 09:11 AM   #11
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally260 View Post
Just a note 'bout tha idle. Tha XR6 is prone ta load up if ya idle very long with tha motor "tucked" all tha way in. Keepin' it level or a tad positive in relation ta tha water they seem ta do a lot better. Just remember ta tuck it in when ya get on tha gas............T
Yes it does do somewhat better when you get it up some..Thanks
Old 09-03-08, 05:51 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Ole ally is da one that gets the cookie today. That right there is one of the little quirks about motors that I am always talking about.

Alley need some pics bro. How's it coming????????? I am chomping at the bit to see how far along ya dun got on the boat and how she is looking.
Old 09-04-08, 01:32 PM   #13
Basscrazie

Ok,got out this morning without all the ski lice..I put a can of seafoam in 1 tank and ran out about 1/4 tank and noticed if i just give it about 1/4 throttle it comes out of the hole good and rpms would easily turn over 6 but i got to 6 and trimed and it was cooking..Is that to many rpm's?..I got more used to the boat today and am really impressed with the ride in a 20mph wind,you can step on top and go....
If i want to drop the rpm's at wot what way would i have to go on the prop???
Old 09-14-08, 08:20 AM   #14
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are turning the maximum RPM's or more for your engine at Wide Open, then stay where you are. Just have a little cup added to the prop. If your RPM's are low have your prop re-pitched to a 21.The 21 will give you a good hole shot and and help conserve fuel. Too big of a wheel makes your engine labor and will eventually lead to problems.

If you fish rough water very much stay with the four blade prop. It will lift the boat more and make handling easier.

It is not uncommon to have a prop pitched several times to get it exact.

Buddy
Old 09-17-08, 07:42 AM   #15
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscrazie View Post
Ok,got out this morning without all the ski lice..I put a can of seafoam in 1 tank and ran out about 1/4 tank and noticed if i just give it about 1/4 throttle it comes out of the hole good and rpms would easily turn over 6 but i got to 6 and trimed and it was cooking..Is that to many rpm's?..I got more used to the boat today and am really impressed with the ride in a 20mph wind,you can step on top and go....
If i want to drop the rpm's at wot what way would i have to go on the prop???
That's a little high for an XR-6, and amazing that your slinging a 25P! How high do you have your jackplate sitting (what is the distance from the nose cone to the pad, vertically with the motor "just" sitting on the trim posts?). I run the exact same prop on my 200 Mariner EFI on a 20' 4" Astro 2000. You will definitely get a little slip in the holeshot because of the 1/2" holes ( I usually tuck the motor and ease down a little, then hit it).
If you are indeed turning those rpms then you could probably run that 26P Stilletto, but I think you will be pushing that motor too hard, and will actually loose a little of your top end. You should still be able to get somewhat of a holeshot since the stilletto exhaust over the hub. I would try a 25P Tempest and see what happens before I go with the Stilletto.
IMHO
Old 09-21-08, 07:47 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Ok went back and reread. Ok your turning a 23p Trophy at 6k RPMS when hauling the mail. You say the Seafoam helped out. So far so good. Bob asked my next question "Whats the motor height............just like he said.........need the prop shaft to pad height. You can do a search here on the site.....I have outlined it several times on how to. After the height question I think we can zero inon why your rpms are so high. You really dont need to turn over 6k. Reason being that motor makes its hp at around 5800 when everything else is right. Now in no way shape or form am I saying it cant make any more or turn anymore. Hell there out there turning 7k+ all the time but on lighter hulls that can utilize the added r's. Do you know if this motor is stock????
Old 09-27-08, 09:10 PM   #17
Basscrazie

Hello all,i have been out due to hurricane Ike and am glad to be back..I don't have a jackplate and with 2 people and tackle to the hilt it runs about 5800 and i am happy with that.I have noticed the heavier load makes a big difference but me alone it hauls @@@ and till i get things straightened out here it will be fine but i will not turn it over red line..Thanks guys..It will be on the back burner for awhile,just want to fish now..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.