Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-08, 10:01 AM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Advice!!!!

I don't own a boat and i am looking for something little,.no more than 2000 dollars, whenever, i start looking to actually buy one, i have been looking around just pricing, but i was wanting some advice, i usually go to small lakes nothing real big, and only 2 people will be on it, i could get a new jon boat with a trolly motor, live well, battery, trailer, and its 14 feet long, for about 2000 dollars should i do this when the time comes, or should i try and get someone selling a old bass boat for cheap or an old jon boat for cheaper, what do yall think?
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 10:22 AM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would look on Craigs list in and around your area. Their is usually pretty good deals and now is the time to find the good one's. Also, if you are just looking to get on the water and not tournament fish, you may not need a live well.

My $0.02
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 10:54 AM   #3
jcw1503

THanks for the advice man!!!
Old 10-15-08, 12:10 PM   #4
jasonfish320

Do your homework before you buy...I got completely screwed when I purchased my first boat...and it was right in the same price range, I ended up spending a lot more than 2,000 when all said and done. If you don't know much about boats bring someone who does...be sure to take it for a drive or atleast have the owner take you out and show you how everything works.

Go with your gut instinct! When I bought my first boat I was so blinded by excitement that I didn't go with my gut, which was trying to tell me that I was getting hosed...and I did!

Keep in mind that boats are A LOT OF WORK! They need more attention than any other machine I have ever owned. But on the flipside they are more rewarding than anything else I have every owned.

Also try looking on www.boattraderonline.com they have a ton of stuff listed all over the U.S.
Old 10-15-08, 12:14 PM   #5
UKbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I got a 14 foot jon boat with a 9.9hp on it perfect for small lakes also has a trolling motor with new built in floor and 2 fishing seats let me know if you want to look at it im located in Louisville Kentucky
UKbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 01:18 PM   #6
jcw1503

thanks jason...i will...and also, how much for your jon boat....see i am from SC, so there is a little distance
Old 10-15-08, 02:00 PM   #7
UKbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I would like $1200 for it let me know if you would like to see pictures
UKbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 10:30 PM   #8
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You can do better than 2K if you take your time and buy a used boat. But a lot of people wont do that, it means having to troubleshoot someone elses issues which can either be rewarding or annoying.

I mixed and matched my boat and I think, as far as I can tell, that I am about $600 in the hole (excluding the trailer). I have a 14' boat with a 28hp motor and a Minkota-Johnson 40lb hybrid trolling motor that is put together with JB weld, but its working. But I have spent a lot of time correcting many issues to get it into almost decent, well, unembarrassing.. shape...

$1200 isnt a bad price for what UK is selling if the engine is reliable and it includes a trailer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.