Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-07, 01:14 PM   #1
THE DL
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Texas Rig??

Why does it seem that I only lip 1 out of every 5 bass when im fishing texas rig? The worm i was using was farely large and the bass in the area were small, thats a possibility that they were just tugging at the bottom because i did feel hits. Or, should i have the barb at the end of the hook just barely exposed,not making it completely weedless because when i do have the hook fully exposed using a jig head i do a lot better. Any ideas would mean a lot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0725071309.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1730  
Old 07-25-07, 01:52 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would try a 2/0 or 3/0 gammy hook and use a 3/16 bullet sinker, and then jerk hard on the hook set...your problem on the pictured setup is to small of a hook, and it looks like a jighead set up.
Try the hook only and put a bullet sinker in front of it instead, that should do the trick.

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 01:54 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Wait, when you say 'lip' are you trying to mean hook? Lipping is when you have the bass at the boat and grab them by the mouth. Now you arent getting many hookups because that hook is too small for that worm.... get larger jigheads. Theres 4" of rubbery worm and 1" of rubbery worm and hook, think about it. Also, it is sometimes a good idea to push the hook through the worm and lay the barb/tip flat ontop of the worm, so its still relatively weedless, but it will increase hook sets. The only time I dont do this is when I fish heavy cover. Change the size of that jig head and you should be fine.
Old 07-25-07, 02:21 PM   #4
THE DL
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thank You

Thanks for the tips JB and Bass Fisher02, both of you guys helped me a lot. I have another question on a soft plastic worm i have, i started a new thread.
Old 07-25-07, 07:20 PM   #5
millsryno
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd recommend a bullet sinker and a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG hook. Ditch the jig head.
Old 07-25-07, 08:17 PM   #6
bassfisher02

Well the jighead/plastic worm combination can be a killer, you just have to have the right jighead that will maximize the efficiency of the plastic worm.
Old 07-25-07, 09:23 PM   #7
Rebbasser

DL, first off, welcome to the forum!

If that is the rig you are using I think I see the problem. The jighead, or more specifically the hook size looks too small. What I think is happening is the plastic of the worm is clogging the throat of the hook. As a result, you don't get a good hookset. If you go to a larger jighead/hook you should be good to go.
Old 07-26-07, 12:24 PM   #8
THE DL
BassFishin.Com Member

OK thank you, you guys are the best.
Old 07-26-07, 11:16 PM   #9
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DL View Post
Tell me you didn't!!! Do you know what you will unleash by giving these guys praise like that?? You've opened that portal to the "other" side and don't know what the consequences will be. Oh the horrors!

I've always made sure that the gap of the hook was twice the width of the bait I was using. A 4" worm and 2/0 hook do well together. The thicker the worm the wider the gap (3/0, 4/0, and 5/0). You can get ball jigs with different size hooks as well.
Old 07-26-07, 11:34 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DL View Post
And so right you are! I am the bassmaster, the king of all bass fishing, the infamous 02, the all-knowing, the ritcheous, the BEST as you so vividly put it!

Here I sit on my throne made of glass and holds all the monster bass I've caught, here I sit looking down upon all the rest of the world, basking in the greatness, and oh how tan I have become. Thank you DL, you shall be remmebered for your kind words, and I shall not fish your lakes, which would automatically deem them of all fishing ever again.

Dont listen to 3D, we dont have over-inflated egos,' I just cant understand where he would come up with such a thing?
Old 07-27-07, 12:22 AM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
And so right you are! I am the bassmaster, the king of all bass fishing, the infamous 02, the all-knowing, the ritcheous, the BEST as you so vividly put it!
A gen-u-ine legend in his own mind.
Old 07-27-07, 08:31 AM   #12
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Also, try running the hook thru the worm a couple of times so when you do set the hook, it has a clear path thru the worm. A week ago, I was fishing with a buddy, and he was fishing worms similar to the one in your pic, and he caught 8 bass but never pulled any in. They kept getting loose. I think those "ribbed" worms make it harder for the hook to get thru the rubber. After we did this, he started pulling them in.

I almost always rig them "texsposed", like the Bassfisher02 was talking about, where you push the hook thru and then put the barb just under the skin. Works well, just try and keep the worn as straight as possible once rigged.
Old 07-27-07, 10:21 AM   #13
3dkicker

Also be aware of which direction the fish moves with the bait. If it is moving towards you or in a direction that increases slack in the line you will have a tough time with the hook set. Add mono type line, which stretches, to the equation and things get more difficult. Make sure you pick up enough line so you get a solid hook set. Might help.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.