Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-08, 10:58 AM   #1
1lipripper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Popping in the lakes region

By Don Miller, Large Lakes Fisheries Biologist, Region 2/New Hampton

Summer has descended on the Lakes Region and with it our afternoon thundershowers.
Actually, after a relatively dry spring, the water from the sky has been welcome, as
brooks and ponds had receded quickly during the dry spell.

The large lakes had a relatively late bass spawn, with many male bass hanging around
nests well into late June. I have had a blast fly rod popping for smallmouth bass along
the rocky shoals in Lake Winnisquam the past two weeks. Balsa poppers in size 2 or 4
fished on a short leader (five feet) have produced some nice smallies -- up to three
pounds. Early morning and late evening on calm days work best for me (I've never really
had any luck with poppers when there was a chop on the water).

Try reducing the size of the poppers if you care to try out panfish in some of the weedy
coves of the large lakes -- this is also a great way to introduce youngsters to the art
of still-water fly fishing, with feisty panfish eager to take any popper or fly that will
fit in their mouth. I equate surface popping for bass and panfish with dry-fly fishing
for trout, it's that much fun!

Coldwater anglers on the big lakes are reporting the thermocline (the water
"layer" where warmer and cooler waters meet) is rapidly setting up at 25-30
feet; once the insect hatches settle down, look for action to really pick up over the
next two months. I have caught some decent 14-18 inch rainbows in Winnisquam, at 30 feet
on the downrigger and 4-5 colors of lead core line. DB Smelts and Guide Specials (you
name the color -- it works) have been productive. Balls of baitfish (smelt) are beginning
to show up on the bottom in 40-60 feet of water. This is the critical time of year when
one-year-old landlocked salmon feed voraciously on young-of-the-year (YOY) smelt.

As a reminder, use rubber or fine mesh nets if you need to net a fish in order to release
it. I use wet cotton gloves to grasp the tail of larger fish in the net, and when held
upside down, the fish tends to relax. Be gentle with those fish: hook-wounding is a
serious problem in our coldwater fisheries, and we all need to do our part in maintaining
a healthy fishery.

While on the subject of Lake Winnisquam: be sure to check out the new Fish and Game boat
access facility off Water Street in Laconia. I was impressed with the layout of the ramps
and parking spaces on the Winnipesaukee River. Congratulations to all those involved with
this project! (See the online version of this report (http://wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/
fishing_reports.htm
) for a cool birds-eye image of the new site, courtesy of Bill Hemmel
of Lakes Region Aerial Photo.)
1lipripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 11:12 PM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Great article, Don! I really enjoy reading papers such as these. You truly can learn bunches!

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.