Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-08, 09:14 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Advice for a new boat...

I don't know much of anything about boats as aside from a canoe, I've never had one.
I just got back into fishing this season and soon realized that without a boat, I'm missing out on a lot of potential good fishing. I refurbished an old canoe, but it was/is too confined and not really well suited for 'big water' even with stabilizers (I live a stones throw from the finger lakes - a short hop to Cayuga, Owasco, Skaneateles). But here's the thing...I can't really justify a bass boat as the family would like something more for touring (not so much for ski, but maybe touring, tubing, swimming...) so I'm thinking about a 'fish and ski', runabout type boat. New to boating, I'm thinking of a new boat rather than a used one, but don't have money to burn either, so want to be somewhat conservative w/o settling for something that just won't 'float'. Also, my current vehicle has a towing capacity of 3500, so I need to stay under that.
So many choices out there, what are your thoughts? What's gotta have options vs. nice but not necessary? What should I maybe steer clear of?
I was thinking of going to a boat show in the winter as I hear they have some good deals there (although maybe not quite as good as end of model year sales)? Any input would be helpful -
advance THANK-YOU.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 10:35 AM   #2
Bob Smith

Smile

Is there a Bass Pro Shop store anywhere near you? How big is your family and how many people would you typically take touring, tubing or otherwise? 3500 lbs will put you in the ball park for most 16-18' fish and ski boats with engine sizes typically 125 HP to 175 HP. There are a lot of nice boats out there in that range. If I were you, given your limitations, I would consider the aluminum V-bottom boats such as Lund or Lowe.
Old 09-30-08, 11:46 AM   #3
Abbeysdad

Hey Bob - Thanks for the feedback. immediate family is just wife, me and Abbey, but many outings would likely be 4 or 6 people. There's a BPS about 25 miles or so in Auburn. I stopped there returning from a trip recently. In addition to Tracker, they carry the Tahoe. I was looking at a Tahoe which looks like a really nice boat - the one I looked at was about $20k. (I could go there over 10 years, just unsure if it's the best move.) I just did a search and Lund and Lowe (I never heard of before) look like good options and I'll look at them more closely (and for fishing in some places, I think an aluminum hull would prove more durable) - thank-you.
Old 09-30-08, 01:32 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Any idea on ball park pricing for Lund or Lowe boats ?
Old 09-30-08, 02:05 PM   #5
Bob Smith

I'm no expert on those boats, I just thought that your needs appeared to be a good fit with the type of boats. You could go to their website (just type in Lund Boats or Lowe Boats in Google and let it search for you). Then every boat manufacturer will lhave a list of dealers in your area. Just find a couple near you and call them, or go by and check it out in person. There are other Aluminum boats out there as well like Fisher Marine, Tracker (Bass Pro Shops), Lone Star, Express (Hot Springs, Arkansas).
Old 09-30-08, 05:00 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

in my opion only now abbysdad, lund is a better boat than lowe. lunds have been used forever in the northern areas around the great lakes. dunno about the prices. the one thing i have learned over the years when buying anything is you get what you pay for. you want quality, yo gotta pay for it. good luck and let us know what you get. and don't forget the pics ok?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 05:21 PM   #7
Bob Smith

I saw another aluminum boat maker today that I had forgotten about. Crestline, they have been around a very long time as well!
Old 09-30-08, 06:30 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
in my opion only now abbysdad, lund is a better boat than lowe. lunds have been used forever in the northern areas around the great lakes. dunno about the prices. the one thing i have learned over the years when buying anything is you get what you pay for. you want quality, yo gotta pay for it. good luck and let us know what you get. and don't forget the pics ok?
having fished those lakes -more than i am willing to amit to-i had a lund 18 footer then.i like the lund set up fairly well for the angler with a plus of having a bimbi and full curtains. which is definatly a plus in early spring..

i knew where my lund was as of last year -it was for sale- but i think he sold it..

zooker
Old 09-30-08, 08:45 PM   #9
woody

Stay clear of the Open bow design runabouts. These boats are not designed for fishing.
My ideas were similar to yours about boating, I wanted a bass boat and I had my Family in mind also. So I went with a 18' Crownline open bow, with an added fishing package. After a few years of boating my family lost interest in the runabout. To fish out of this big-n-heavy boat wore me out!!! I've since sold the runabout and got a Bass boat(Skeeter-ZX185C). I can still take the family fishing, and everyones happy.
If I had it to do over again I would have gone with a real FISH-N-SKI, a boat designed mainly for fishermans needs, then the accasional family tour of the lake.
Skeeter makes a nice fish-n-ski, SL models.

My opinion, fiberglass is more durable than aluminum, I'm always hearing of aluminums welds breaking.

I found my boat on (boattrader.com)

Keep us posted...
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 11:36 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

So many things to ponder and hate to (pardon the pun) spend a boat load of money and realize I made the wrong choices - or worse still, have it sit in the yard most/all the time until I sell it for a loss. LOL - I haven't even gone shopping yet and I have it all gone bad and rid of!
So what's so bad about an open bow? - I've seen some with optional platform w/pedestal seat making it quite like a bass boat - otherwise, it may not be the best to fish from there, let alone deal with the trolling motor.
Anyway, appreciate the feedback - so much to learn.
Old 10-01-08, 07:46 AM   #11
Bob Smith

What I would suggest you do to help you narrow down the process a bit, is join a local fishing club (Bass Club or Walleye Club) as a non-boater. Then you can paired with some of the boaters, fish out of thier boats and determine which features you like best out of the boats you get to fish in. Another thing you can do is go to places like Bass Boats Central http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeromain
And lay some of your questions on some well informed folks. It's a great site also (Not trying to take anything away from this site, but as the name implies, it is very topic specific). One other thing you can do is simply go to one of your local ramps on a popular lake and interview folks that are loading and unloading boats to see what they have to say about the boats they have. All of these suggestions are free and can be very useful in helping you decide what it is you really want.
Old 10-01-08, 01:41 PM   #12
Abbeysdad

Anybody got an opinion about Glastron? Looks like a nice ski and fish boat (GT 185).

http://www.glastron.com/us/gt185sf.html
Old 10-01-08, 03:25 PM   #13
woody

Sorry I'm not familiar with Glastron boats, It does look attractive, but I can tell ya, if your fishing evolves like mine has, this choice in boat will hold you back. This boat is designed for the skier and pleasure boat minded first, then the weekend fisherman. As the name says "ski and fish" not "fish and ski". Just my opinion, since you take the time to be a member of a bass fishing forum, your fishing will evolve to a level that this boat will NOT handle, ie, maneuverability into skinny water around stumps and such, comfortable fishing platform, room to roam so that you can land that Lunker!
That Glastron also looks pretty heavy. My previous 18ft. Crownline weighed well over 2200 lbs. it was all my 4.3L v6 chevy truck could handle, eventually it dropped the transmission, luckily I was'nt towing at the time.
My Crownline also was an inboard/outdrive, this set-up requires more maintenance compared to an outboard 2cycle motor. Outboards are just easier to work on.
Before I bought my first boat, the appearance and sleekness of it was of importance to me rather than the boats fishability. I learned a lesson, fishability should of been what i looked for rather than appearance. I did'nt know any better, my mistake.
Just take your time and wiegh pro and cons. Ask yourself where do you think your level of fishing will be in a few years, and will my choice of boat fill the needs.
I would look to bass boat manufacturer's line of fish-n-skis, I wish I had.

good luck,
woody

Last edited by woody; 10-01-08 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-01-08, 03:47 PM   #14
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Look at Crestliner they offer some nice boats at a affordable price.
http://www.crestliner.com/boats/boat...ID=345&BID=172
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 08:23 AM   #15
Abbeysdad

I'm really liking that Glastron Ski & Fish, but starting at $20k, means ending at $23+k and that scares me.

(Okay, wife heard about a $20k~ boat and she scares me! <LOL>)

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-02-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-02-08, 09:06 AM   #16
MIbasser

I'm not sure what type of water (depth and weeds) you'll be on, but with an I/O you will need about 2' of water to move around in. That's assuming the motor goes way up and you can use the trolling motor. I would look at the Triton 188-SF or a Skeeter SL-180. One other thing you are going to look at (possibly) is winterizing your motor about $200 or more per year on that I/O.

Just my $0.01 - lost the other penny in the market!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 12:27 PM   #17
Abbeysdad

Quote:
One other thing you are going to look at (possibly) is winterizing your motor about $200 or more per year on that I/O.
Maybe a dumb question, but why $200+ to winterize an I/O motor - (never thought of how I/O engines were cooled, just figured it used coolant/water like a car or just used <lake> water.)
As far as water depth, it may be an issue...I'm not sure. Now I love bass fishing, but with no boat, looking out over some of these lakes has me wanting much more (as I'm sure everyone here can relate to) - especially living so close to all these (Finger) lakes here in central NY. I wouldn't mind setting a hook in a nice lake trout, Musky or Pike!
I cleaned up our old 17' Grumman canoe and took the girls out on a small lake near by. Tippy and cramped, the next day I said to the wife, "I'd like to get another boat...not go crazy, just a [better] boat for fishing". There was a pause that I first interpreted as resistance, but then she said "I think we should get a real boat".
But then she went on to clarify something used, a fixer upper we could work on - and she was thinking more family/touring than fishing. You know, a day on the lake here and there for a boat ride, swimming, picnic lunch ... (she'll fish, but it's not important to her).

Well, okay, maybe... I'm fairly handy (built my own home) but new to boating, I'd rather get a new boat and take care of it than attempt to refit an old rusty/crusty boat.
But $20+k is a lot, especially for something that will need to be stored 6 months out of the year.

Maybe I/we should set our sites much lower to a more basic fishing boat and look at trading up in a year or two???
Old 10-02-08, 01:01 PM   #18
MIbasser

Actually it's $279 for standard winterization and oil change and $379 for them to pull the lower unit (local place we used to take our old four winns to). The lower unit will actually hold water, it does not drain like an OB.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 01:06 PM   #19
woody

I found my '99 Skeeter bassboat on http://boattrader.comthey were only asking $9500.
Runs and looks good!
As you know there are alot of good deals this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skeeter 013.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	2687  
Old 10-02-08, 01:45 PM   #20
JB

woody,
thats fer sure,
your boat runs like a bat outa he##!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 03:12 PM   #21
Jackl

ABBYSDAD,
One thing you need to take into consideration is WIND! The taller aluminum boats like Lund sit taller in the water than a regular bass boat, which will cause it to blow around in the wind quite badly. This will necessitate having a larger TM to compensate for the wind. I do some walley fishing with a couple friends that have Lowe & Alumicraft boats, and the wind is a serious problem on both boats. They had to go to 101 lb thrust (36 volt) TM's to control thier boats. I sometimes fish the same area for walley in my Ranger and get along just fine with a 74 lb thrust (24 volt) TM. Thier boats are 18 ft, mine is 19.5 ft.
Just something to think about if you live in a windy area!
JackL
Old 10-02-08, 03:28 PM   #22
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I'm really liking that Glastron Ski & Fish, but starting at $20k, means ending at $23+k and that scares me.

(Okay, wife heard about a $20k~ boat and she scares me! <LOL>)
show her some $40k boats and $20 won't sound that bad !!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 03:56 PM   #23
Abbeysdad

Gee Jack, I don't need a TM...if it gets windy, I'll just put a sail up and turn her into a schooner - LOL okay, not really.
Old 10-02-08, 04:11 PM   #24
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
show her some $40k boats and $20 won't sound that bad !!
hey I was "looking" at some sport cruisers and yachts like a kid in a candy store... man, some of these boats are awesome - multi cabin, full kitchens, flat screen tv! Okay, not fishin boats, but pretty darn slick.
But you gotta have serious money to burn for something like that.
You may have a point, but I'm working up a different strategy... I'll just let it go for awhile and not say anything. Then I'll suggest a low end basic 14' Starcraft w/25hp outboard fishing boat like this:
http://www.starcraftmarine.com/?page...&section=specs
Which isn't what SHE wants... and see where it goes.

(I could always get chest high waders and one of those tube floats !!!)
Old 10-02-08, 04:28 PM   #25
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Triton makes a great boat, they make a nice fish -n- ski around 23K
http://www.tritonboats.com/fish_and_ski.asp
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.